1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH37PW7 help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TuneMyGuitar, May 25, 2005.

1. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Bit of a newbie to the world of Plasma, so be gentle with me.
    I'm sure this has been answered fully somewhere else, but it can't help asking again.
    I am thinking of buying a new Panasonic TH37PW7. I know a lot of people have been talking about the deal at Richer Sounds, sounds pretty good.
    But after having a look through this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the tuner box is a waste of space. Although where ever you go (Tottenham Court Road) they want to include one with the screen.

Basically, my question is:
    What is the best way to hook up the plasma with a dvd player (No component output), a Playstation 2, and an NTL box?
    I have a seperate Sony 5.1 sound system, so I just need to get the picture from the dvd, PS2, and NTL to the screen.

Cheers

Matt

PS. If I see or hear that damn crazy frog advert one more time, I will hunt down the people responsable and strangle them!!

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Welcome to the forum. See you've already done some good reading :)

Avoid the tuner box and get a J S Technology RGB to VGA converter and a VGA to VGA lead. Either daisy chain the RGB outputs of your sources into the converter or get something like the Quintro scart switcher. If picture quality from the PS2 is hugely important better results can be got using component out into a component board on the panel but it is a relatively costly upgrade.

3. grenfellion

grenfellion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at same deal and connecting a sony av-300 system and sky to it , would i need to do the same as the previous fella mentioned?

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    That's how I would do it.

5. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

Is the Quintro switcher automatic? I was looking at the Vivanico SBX95SE?
    I don't want to have to keep pressing little buttons on the switching unit depending on what device I'm using.

Also, could you explain the VGA lead. It obviously would go from the RGB-VGA converter, but would it link to the NTL box or the Screen? So then would the RGB end plug into the switcher? And what sort of terminal board would I need?

I want to get everything together at the same time if it's possible, and I don't want to get home and realise I've missed a crucial piece.

Sorry if all this sounds dumb, but I remember when I bought my last tv. I took it out of the box, stuck it on a cabinet, plugged it in, and switched it on.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Matt

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the quintro is IR remote and you can use a learning/progammeble remote like the harmonys
    RGB> VGA: Scart from ntl digital TV scart to switcher, then swithcer to JS box, VGA lead from JS box to plasma.
    PAnnies have VGA built in so for RGB sources no terminal board.

7. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah...Fantastic.

So RGB/Scarts from NTL box, DVD, PS2, VTR into switcher, and VGA out into Plasma?

Nice one.

Thanks folks!!

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Not VCR (unless it is one of the very, very few that can output RGB). On a 42" panel the picture looks pretty dire from a VCR and I wouldn't bother spending money on an input board for it.

9. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, that's not a problem. I never use the VCR anyhow. It will probably get replaced with a DVDR or Hard drive recorder at some point.

So, which is the best switcher?
    A Vivancio SBX95SE or a Quintro?

I've looked at both online. The Quintro is obviously a unit that sits on top of everything else and you control with an IR. But the Vivancio seems to be small enough to hide around the back somewhere and automatically switches from one device to another as they are turned on or off. Is that right?

Matt

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    that could be an issue with the vivanco tho how do watch TV while PVR (HDD recorder DVD-recorder) is recording something else?

11. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I went out yesterday, and got everything I needed!

Panasonic TH37PW (Richer Sounds) - £999
    Composite input board (Richer Sounds)
    Wall Bracket (Richer Sounds)

Philex AV Hub Scart Switcher (Tottenham Court Road) - £60
    I think this switcher looks a lot nicer than the Quintro or Vivanco and does the job fine.

I am running my DVD, NTL, and PS2 through scart connections into the Switcher, and out into the screen via composite.
    All audio going through my Sony 5.1 system.
    The picture looks great. Think I could still get it better after a bit of fine tuning.

Just a word of warning to anyone buying a TH37 from Richer Sounds, the wall bracket they sell you is a "universal" one which doesn't line up that great with the bolts on the back of the screen. I got it to fit but it would have been nice to have a proper one.

Thanks for the help!!

Matt

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    COMPOSITE!!! COMPOSITE IS CRAP MATE you dont want composite you need a scart board or JS RGB>VGA converter!

13. sausage1

sausage1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running my DVD, NTL, and PS2 through scart connections into the Switcher, and out into the screen via composite.

:nono: I took hornidragon and gizlarocs advice and hooked my SKY scart output to the VGA input of the panny screen via a RGB-plasma VGA JS converter and the picture is superb.

I had originally bought the panny tuner from RS but took it back and got my money back. Whilst I had the tuner, I compared the component output of my DVD with the composite output. The composite output seemed OK, but when compared with the component output it was like watching the component through a fog! You dont realise how good the VGA input picture is until you see it.

I would take the composite board back and get a JS converter - only took 2days to be delivered when purchased online

Best of luck!

14. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm going to take your word for it....
    Just ordered a JS RGB-VGA converter and cable.

I'll let you know if I'm impressed by the results.

15. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509

hi mate.

did u ever have the mediabox connected to your panny???

im currently thinking of going for the JS box and loose the mediabox. Although the mediabox i think gives me a good picture just wondering what someone thought with the mediabox connected and then with the JS box

Thanks

Dal

16. sausage1

sausage1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Got my JS RGB to VGA converter this morning.
    Unfortuantly, I have to say, I'm not impressed.
    To start with, it doesn't seem compatable with my scart swithing box. I'm getting no picture to the screen when I plug it in. As soon as I plugged the NTL scart directly into the converter I got a picture. Same happened with the dvd player.
    Anyhow, as for the picture. I know that people have told me that the composite connection is the worse, but it's always seemed pretty near to crystal clear to me. But once the signal is running through the converter, There is no change in the picture quality at all, in fact I get a very slight shadow around the image. It's very slight, but considering that I've just paid £150 for a converter and a cable, it's not the result I was hoping for. I've checked out the technical pages on the JS site, and I have spent a while trying to get the best picture, and I must say, believe it or not, the composite wins! Although I wouldn't mind checking out the Scart and S-Video options just for the hell of it.
    So there you go, I'm affraid to say the converter is going back to JS. Sorry.

Matt

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Right seems like the scart switcher is either very low voltage or Composite only, and there is no way composite is better (more accurate on the panny) the improved connection may have revealed issues in the source picture but even so it should be alot cleaner, If you still have it hooked up and have the composite board try doinf a PAP with RGB>VGA and composite and comparing both with DVD and TV signals.

19. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have compared the dvd/NTL signal using the VGA conection and then with the composite (and then back again, and back again, etc etc).

Results:

Getting slight shadow effect with NTL using VGA (on right-hand side of image), not with composite.

The shadow effect is less with the dvd but no better than with the composite.

And the overall picture quality is better using the composite connection for the dvd and NTL, strange I know.

I'm sure I could probably get it even better, but the VGA connection doesn't seem to be doing the trick (and I also would still have the problem with the switcher).

As it is, I'm very happy with the picture quality with the composite conection, but if you're sure I can get a better picture using another method then I'm willing to give it a go.

Thanks for your help

Matt

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Matt i must say that is very very odd perhaps when send ing the JS box back you ask them to test it. Also try email JS Tech technical technical@js-technology.com the other option is the panny scart board £60-70 in classifieds, ullFat is selling one at the mo try that With RGB, if no joy the stick to composite....... but something is not right!

21. TuneMyGuitar

TuneMyGuitar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, cheers. Will try other options.
    My composite board has an S-Video socket. What about an Scart to S-Video converter, and S-video to the screen? Or is that basically going to be the same as using just a Scart?

Matt

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    S-video is a signal (Y/C) scart is a cable that can carry RGBcvS, Y/C and Composite as well as others, A scart to S-video cable will only work if the source device outputs S-video via scart (the commonly reffered to S-video socket is actaully a 4 pin mini DIN connecter) a Sky box for example does NOT output S-video via scart

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Matt quick question what mode is the panny in? Dynamic, normal, cinema?