1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH37PE50B Plasma - first impressions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwarren, May 15, 2005.

1. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recently taken delivery on the new SD plasma TV from panasonic. The reason I went for this over the forthcoming HD '500' model is that it's for use in a bedroom for watching sky and DVD, and the chances of hooking up SKY HD in the bedroom for the foreseeable future is slim. Just thought I drop a line of my initial impressions. (IMHO of course)

Price = £1,690.00 delivered (Inc Panasonic DVD Recorder + pedestal stand) Digital Direct. Good price I think.

Looks = On a pedestal stand looks very eye catching, with reasonably slim bezel as speakers are underneath screen.

Picture with built in freeview = As I have always had sky digital, I have never really paid much attention to freeview, but as I have recently moved house and not got sky installed yet, I thought I'd set it up. Rigged a good quality compatible ariel in the loft and have to say the picture is excellent.

Picture with DVD (through scart) = As I have not bought a decent quality component lead yet, thought I'd try it with a cheap scart. Again have to say blown away, even with a poor freebie lead the picture is outstanding, can't wait to get it in progressive scan mode with decent lead.

DVB program guide = quick and easy to use, not far off sky.

I intend to go for a HD model for the lounge when they are released, but for anyone who is not bothered about HD yet, I would recommend you consider the 50 series.

Cheers :)

2. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi m8 how many scarts does ur panel have.

3. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has 3 on the rear of the panel.

4. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive got 3 scarts too -got it from total digital for 1335 with ped. + 20 squid delivery, no dvd rec though.
    just noticed on there site they have put it up 14.00

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    hi pwarren, I'm thinking of getting a 500 with the pedestal stand when it's finally released. How wide/deep is the actual stand? Need to see if it'll fit on my existing glass AV stand.

6. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm travelling at the moment, so I can't measure it. But if I had to guess, i'd say between 10-12 inches. Its pretty deep. I'll measure up when i'm back.

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    According to the Japanese Panasonic website the pedestal stand TY-ST42PX500 measures 68.9×10.7×36.9 Cm and weighs 12.0kg. One thing that gets me with the Japanese version of the pedestals though is that they look to be swivel stands whereas all the Panasonic pedestal stands I have seen here are all fixed. :rolleyes: It was the same with the TY-ST42PX20 stands (for the PE30 Vieras) last year.

http://prodb.matsush*ta.co.jp/product/spec.do?pg=06&hb=TY-ST42PX500
    http://prodb.matsush*ta.co.jp/product/points.do?pg=05&hb=TY-ST42PX500
    http://prodb.matsush*ta.co.jp/product/info.do?pg=04&hb=TY-ST42PX500

S.

8. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doesnt look to big stand ive got it on a silver wooden one, id say it fit on any tv stand providing its strong enough.
    hope this helps.