Panasonic TH37PE50B or Good CRT?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Ade848, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying the above screen. I appreciate that it is not HD Ready but the price makes this very attractive. I have seen this on stall with the Cabinet for as little as £1450, and I have even seen a used one for an online company for £950 with a pedestal.

Question is should I buy one of these of a top of range CRT as my room has space for the bulkier CRT's. I mainly use the TV for normal Sky viewing and Football/Movies.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been told that CRT still produce a better picture, but I must admit I prefer the look of the Panasonic Plasmas.

I reckon saving £600 buying a non HDTV screen now, and I can always upgrade in the future when the technology is more widely available, as I don't really want to pay for another Sky+ box and extra subscription.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    I have a 32" tau panny and I am very happy with the PV500, I don't think you would be disappointed.
    Also I think the price of the 37" PV500 will be lower soon. You can get it for around £1400 at the moment, could you not wall mount it to save a few quid?

3. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Ade, I've been in the same boat as you for some time. I've been umming and arring about moving to a plasma over a high end CRT. I've read an exhorbitent amount about plasmas and after goign to get a few differing demos (of plasmas) I decided to go down the TH37PE50 route - I managed to get one from ebuyer for £999 with wallmount. I wanted a bigger TV (currently have a 28" sony, which used to seem big enough) and had no space issues, but just found the idea of a plasma so much more tempting. I like the idea of having my telly on the wall and freeing up about 2sqm of floor space where I can now have my equipment in a nice, tidy, accessible rack.

I looked at the PV500 and decided on the non HD version for 2 reasons. 1) price - I didn't want to pay what would be a 50% premium for an HD ready set at the moment and 2) I just can't see there being enough hi-def content in the next year or so to warrant spending that extra cash. A

I'd imagine that in a years time I'll be looking at what's about and maybe change over to an HD screen, but currently don't see the value.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    The reasons I went for the PV500 over the pe50:

VGA input - allowing hi res pc input
    Better speakers
    HD ready - for xbox 360/ HD DVD etc
    HDMI input - again future proofing
    Cost wasn't really an issue (just had to save up longer)

5. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't really compare apples and oranges! One of the main reasons you want a plasma is because you want a larger screen size than currently available in the CRT format. So, if you are looking for a large screen for more "movie like" experience, a large plasma or LCD dispaly are your only options.

This argument aside, the TH-37PB50 is an excellent choice given the money. If you want to wait after October most probably a new version of this budget model would be available with an additional HDMI input. A similar model was just announced in the german Panasonic site, costing about GBP 35 more than the previous model.

6. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Just buy the TH37PE50B, you won't regret it! You may get an ever so slightly better picture on a top CRT but value for money you can't beat the TH37PE50B & it's a PLASMA!!

Got mine last week (£999 w/Wallmount from eBuyer) & love it - I'm in the same boat as Chrisw - fed up with waiting for decent looking HD models to come out & figured take the proven SD model now & worry about HD in a couple of years when the machines are really up for it & Sky have halved their pricing..

7. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help.

Panasonic Plasma it is then, although the new model with HDMI inputs sounds good. Mind you will probably have to wait for the discounted prices to come down to the prices of todays model. Ideally if I can pick one up for a grand then you cant really go wrong. To those that have bought the PE3750, are you pleased with it?

8. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    The PV500 (HD with all the bells & whistles) can already be purchased fairly cheaply (£1,500-£1,600 Currys Online) but to be frank, it's an ugly, bulky machine & I'm sure there will be far better machines on the market in the not too distant future.

9. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found the TH42PE50B for £1250 at Hi Fi Confidential. I'll see if I can get JL to pricematch as I fancy the 5 Year Warranty.

As a seperate issue I have been offered a TY-S42PX20WS stand that was originally used for TH-PE42PE30B. Will this stand fit as I can buy fairly cheaply. Reason for asking is JL quote a differnet part number for the cabinet stand.

Thanks

Ade

10. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How anyone can call this set "ugly" is beyond me. Looks are subjective, but even if the bezel is thicker than the average plasma the gloss black surround still looks mighty smart (well it does in my living room anyway).

11. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    I'm more a minimal bezel, bottom speaker man myself - I was waiting months for the PV500 to come out & was so disappointed they went back to the larger looking machine design.

If you wanna see real ugly though - my dad's 37" Sony surrounded by 6 sq miles of glass & side speakers is the worst!!