Panasonic TH37PE50

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Starzy, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Starzy

Starzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Morning all,

Received My plasma yesterday really pleased about it. Was hopeing for some advice,

1. Best connection for xbox 360?
    2. Best Connection for DVD player.

Have a Pioneer 575A DVD player have a thor cable at the moment the pictures does look very good but am wondering if there is better?

I have a Amp/5.1 system etc.

Am still all new to this so :lease: can anyone help.

Btw have taken my plasma off dynamic mode was told this was the right thing to do.

2. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Morining mate - I have the same TV and its a fantastic machine so well done on your purchase.

As for linking the stuff together, I haven't got an Xbox so bear with me:

I understand the Xbox has component sockets ? If it does, and you use the console regularly, then its worth your while using Component cables for this.

if that's the case, then link the DVD using a decent RGB Scart lead.

Hope that helps.

3. Starzy

Starzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Should I get the offical xbox component cable? does that also come with the audio cables to connect to my amp? because i know component only carries Picture.

Also with my DVD player will progressive scan only work with component cables, or will it work with my THOR scart also?

As you see i'm pretty clueless. :)

4. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

Yep, the official XBOX cable seems the best one, with others producing varilable picture quality. The official one has both optical output and normal red/white stereo RCA output's for connecting upto your amp.

Progressive output will only work on component output for your player, not using the scart output.

What's your amp/5.1 system? Has this any video switching options available. i.e. can it take say 2 component video input's and output 1 component signal? It could then be used for switching the video input and meaning you could have both XBOX and DVD plugged into the TV via the amp.

Cheers

Andy

5. Starzy

Starzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hey Andy,

This is my Amp http://ws1.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-RXV357

Hope that helps, My dvd player has optical going into my amp then scart going into my plasma at the moment.

Im going to pick up an Offical component cable today, will i also need to get another optical cable also?

So i also need to now oder a component cable for my DVD to Plasma?

Thanks for your help btw.

Chris

6. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Chris,

Checking the online manual for your amp, it has a 2 component in, and 1 out solution built in, and 2 optical input's also :thumbsup:

So you should be able to have XBOX 360 component & DVD component into the amp. Then another component cable from amp to TV. Also have the 2 optical output's into the 2 optical input's on the amp. All you have to be careful of is turning the amp to the right input to get the right output. Checking the manual, it would be DVD for DVD player, and DTV/CBL for XBOX.

This would tie up your DTV/CBL input's on the amp for the 360, so how have you got your normal TV picture/sound connected up, i.e. do you have freeview, sky, NTL/telewest, or a standard ariel going straight into plasma?

When I got my 360 premium, I don't think it had an optical cable with it. So you will need to buy one to connect the sound from 360 to amp.

So in summary, the connections should be for video:

DVD -> via component cable -> DVD input on amp
    360 -> via component cable -> DTV/CBL input on amp
    amp -> via component cable -> to plasma component input

For sound:
    DVD -> via optical cable -> DVD optical input on amp
    360 -> via optical cable -> DTV/CBL optical input on amp

So you'll need 3 component cables (1 being the XBOX one) and 2 optical ones.

But this could all change dependant on your normal TV picture and sound requirements :D

Cheers

Andy

7. Starzy

Starzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Andy

I have a Freeview box, the picture is much better from the box than the built in tuner on the Plasma, this is running though scart at the moment. Looks like i'm all set then hopefully :smashin:

1 more question i'm off to buy the Component cable for my 360 today, do you know a good online site for the other component and optical cables that i need. If you could link the one's you think are best that would be ace. Price does'nt really worry be tbh.

Thanks again
    Chris

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Chris, so you don't use your amp for freeview then, just curious?

As for online places, check out the forums links section here for many many cable suppliers. Also check out the special forums offers here.

For me, I've got Mark Grant component cables, and QED optical cables (from Superfi.co.uk). Both perform really well for me, but there are other options availables, some cheaper, and some more expensive :D

9. Starzy

Starzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Andy,

Thanks for all your help will let you know how it goes, and be back if i need any help.

All the best mate
    Chris

P.S I dont use my amp for Freeview no m8 dont really watch normal TV that much only the Footie, mainly DVD's and Gaming.