1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH37PE50 or 32LXD52 LCD? Which one?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dave owen, Oct 20, 2005.

1. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have narrowed it down to these 2 as best value for around £1250. But now am stumped whether to go plasma 37" with no hdmi or LCD 32" with hdmi. A very tough decision which will have to ultimately be based on current SD picture quality especially for sport. Any advice please?

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Are you desperate for HDMI, which I personally believe is a waste on an SD set. The 37PE50 is great with sport, and is the bigger set. But then I'm not a fan of LCD so I may be biased :)

3. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments.

Would prefer a 436xde or PV500 but have a restricted budget. It is hard to say how important HDMI is at this moment but in five years it will be standard and possibly even by this time next year.

However current viewing is in SD and it is a tough choice between the 2 sets. We are leaning towards the 37PE50 but don't want to regret not having HDMI.

BTW I also don't want to buy a PV500 and see it's price suddenly fall which is what happened with the LXD1 LCD that we got last year, a fall from £2400 to half that in just over a year. OUCH!

While looking around I noticed that the LXD500 32" LCD HD demo (selfridges) was no where nears as good as the PV500 42" Plasma demo (JL), don't know if that was down to connections or format.

4. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Dave - only one thing you can guarantee with plasma is that the prices will drop. I see that you are considering TVs.
    Did you know that a 42" panny panel is similar in size to the 37" Viera.........?

5. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, but it has to be wife friendly so it's gonna have to be a tv and she doesn't want a 42" because it will be too big for the room, so we reached a compromise on a max of 37". Viewing distance is 9'.

6. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Harmony remote makes it very family friendly and the difference in price between 37" and 42" simply doesn't make sense. G0 on chance you arm a little you'll both be happier that you did.

7. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I really can't see HD being around enough to warrant going down the HD ready route. If budget is a concern (as it is for most people) then paying £400 - 500 for a new sky box and upto £5 extra per channel is not likely to tempt you.

I think there is a lot of hype surrounding HD, and people are falling over themselves to be 'HD-Ready'. A girl who I work with nearly bought a PV500 last night but thankfully walked away.. this morning she asked what HD actually was and what difference it would make. I explained what is likely to happen over the next year , Sky's plans etc, and she was basically told by the helpful salesperson, that if she didn't get an HD set, she may as well bin it in 6 months to a year as you won't be able to watch anything.

Wait until the content is there and then get an HD set. The teething problems will be sorted, the price should be lower and all in all in will actually be worth buying one. Would you go and buy a new format media player if there was nothing to play on it, just to be future proofed?

8. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I certianly won't be paying out £20-£25 for HD-DVD's or Blu-Ray DVD's or going back to paying £50 for a HD Game.
    £10 for DVD's and £30 for games are more reasonable prices.

Sky HD will be mainly Box Office (more cost), leaving just the Football HD and how much footabll will sky have left after the new contract round.

BBC HD isn't likely until 2010

Cable haven't said anything.

So HD won't be widespread for 4 years!

One problem with HD is that once you watch HD, SD then looks awful so is it better to wait for widespread HD availability and watch most stuff in HD, except of course news which is staying SD. (Sky News isn't even widescreen which is ridiculous).

9. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Have you made your choice then?? :)

The PQ on my PE50 is great - as good as, if not better than my sony CRT...

10. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had another look at these two. Tell you what the LCD surprised me, using football as the main benchmark I reckon the LCD edged it but it was slightly unfair pitting a 37" against a 32".

Noticed that the PE50 needed MPEG NR set at min, where the LCD was OK without MPEG NR on at all. (this was viewing football through RF on ITV2)

Still undecided.

11. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    LCD's have very flimsy mesh screen covers. If you are likely to have any kids within reaching distance of it it will be ruined almot immediately. My 1 year decided to rub sudacream into mine and I never got it completely out.

Plasmas on the over hand have glass, or tough plastic covers that protect them from kids carrying WMD.

And the Panny 37" Vierra is lovely.

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have just spent 15 months agonising over the same decision as you. Finally made my choice last weekend - TH37PE50 bought and installed same day and WOW! I really am glad I chose Plasma, the PQ is brilliant and I love this Viera to bits. Whilst LCD is not bad, and is getting there, for a 37" flat panel you will find the price and quality combination of this t.v. hard to beat. :D

13. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dave,

The PQ on panels are slightly better and football (i watch alot) is great on a PWD7. 42" will be perfect on the wall from 9'. :smashin:

£1,250 will get you started with a panel - assuming you have a source for sound such as hifi.

btw - lcd v plasma. I was originally in the market for an lcd, but changed my mind after researching.

14. pjd@nl

pjd@nl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have had a 42PA50 for almost a month and with a digital source the PQ is superb (sports, film's or docu's), an improvement on my old 28" Loewe.

Sitting in front of the box has never been so much fun!

15. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How big are the rooms everyone has, I remember when we replaced the 20" Sony with the current 30/32" JVC and although we got used to it, the initial reaction was "oh my god is this too big for the room" (the xmas tree effect, looks a lot bigger in the house".

If we go upto 37" will it over power the living room (13" x 14").

We have no wall to put this on yet it will have to be on a stand due to stairs on one side, front window, fireplace etc.

16. pjd@nl

pjd@nl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wow, that is a tiny room! (LOL)

We have an L-shaped room, but the sitting area is 13' (w) by 18' (d). We sit 12' from our 42", and I can assure you (after the initial blimey that's a big telly shock) it's perfect.

17. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL

Honey I Shrunk the room.

18. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you buy the Viera Plasma with the floor stand you will find it takes up an incredibly small amount of space. My 37" model takes up less space than the 28" CRT it replaced.