Panasonic TH37PE50 - Need a good DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ashurek, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ashurek

ashurek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought myself a Panasonic TH37PE50 plasma :D and I now need to upgrade my existing dvd player.

I'm looking for something that I can plug my surround sound speakers directly into if possible, HDMi would be nice for future proofing

The PE50 is a SDtv (but HD compatible) I watched some HD video on it in the Panasonic shop via an HD player and it looked amazing – Is it possible for me to get something similar in PQ using an upscaling dvd player? I was told not to bother with upscaling as its only an SDtv, but someone in Richer Sounds recommended it to me?!?

I've been looking at the following models;
    Samsung HD950 (upscaling)
    Pinoeer 585
    Panasonic S49

Very confused now and in need of some advice please! :confused: Thanks

2. ashurek

ashurek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also been recommended the Toshiba SD-350E!

Moving to a new house next week and really want to get something before moving-in-day!

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've the TH42PA50 and the Toshiba 350E.

Excellent picture via progressive component video.

Better, to my eyes, than pioneer 575.

But be aware that there are some issues reported with this toshiba player, like some freezing on some DVDs.

I've used mine to watch some films (more / less around 20) and I've seen it freezing once (don't recall the movie). But it resumed and played the rest ok.

Still keeping mine until there is a better component video player for the same bargain price.

HTH

4. ashurek

ashurek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Benfica,

The freezing issue, is that on the layer changing? I get that on my existing Sony DAVS400 on almost every DVD, freezes for about a second, so I'm quite used to that!

5. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it is a random freeze.

HTH

6. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +483
    You might want to try getting a Panny S97, which has HDMI out and would be a sensible match for your screen. It performs very well, especially with the latest firmware update. For reasons that will never be clear (barring someone working for Panasonic explaining it), the S97 has not been on sale in the UK for many months, although the rest of Europe still get offered it (and is EISA player of the year - http://www.eisa-awards.org/history/2005-2006/audioHt.html.) You could try importing one from Europe - it will be the same model at any rate, just with a different power adaptor (models are built for Europe, not the UK). Power lead is not attached, so any fig 8 kettle lead with a sufficient fuse would do. Hope this helps!

7. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TH37PE50 doesn't have a HDMI input.

8. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +483
    Yep, but the request was for a future proofed DVD player. S97 is also excellent through component, without any upscaling natch!

9. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, you are right. Sorry.