1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH37-pv500 "fuzzy" picture when turning TV on

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ErikX, Jul 31, 2005.

1. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

My apologizes for starting yet another PV500 thread. I have tried to search for this problem in the other threads, but to no avail. There might be info on it somewhere, but there must be thousands of posts regarding this plasma now...

I have been the proud owner of this TV for about 1 month now, and have not experienced any problems whatsoever - until the last couple of days.

Now, every time I turn the TV on, the picture is "fuzzy". With fuzzy I mean very unclear and garbeled (is that a word?). At the same time I hear some noise from the TV. All I have to do is change to another channel, and the problem is gone. I find this behavior worrysome, and wonder if I am the only one experiencing it.

All auto adjust features is turned off. I use Cinema mode with all settings around 50%.

Anyone know if this is a common problem, and if there is a way to solve it?

Regards,
    ErikX

2. bin_man

bin_man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a TH37-PV500 for a few weeks now, but have not experienced this problem. Occasionally I get BBC1 with no sound, but if I switch channels it comes back again !

Other than the noise of the electrics and occasional DVD picture problems its OK.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I would call your dealer and mention this now or call Panasonic direct, this is not right and could be the start of something alot worse.
    Better to get it sorted now.

4. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn. The problem is now ALWAYS reproducable at any time by switching into dynamic mode. Whenever I do so, the picture gets unclear, garbeled and fuzzy. I really don't hope I need to send this baby back. I haven't even got the box it came in. Packing it down safely will be a major pain in the.. :thumbsdow

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, that box is HUGE! Never heard of this problem - I did find that when switching on it sometimes didn't go to AV1 - that meant a SKY picture with loads of green lines and other crap on it. Just switch to AV1 and all was well. Doesn't happen now. Your problem sounds different, though... Good luck.

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    @ ErikX

Hi

You shouldn't have to send it back. Call the Panasonic helpline - they will almost certainly send someone out to it.

Steve

7. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panasonic helpline wasn't very helpful. The technician I spoke to said that he had no knowledge of the PV500 at all(!). He asked me to contact my local service partner, which I did. They will come to collect the screen. Damn, it will be hard to live without it. I just hope they figure out what's wrong, and fix it before returning it. Hopefully it won't take to long...

8. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The service on my PV500 is now finally done. According to the work report, they fixed it by "resetting the firmware on the dsp-board".

Hmm.... does this sound like a good way to fix things? It does surely not say anything about the reason why the problem appeared in the first place. What do you think? Should I be worried, or should I be happy? :)

9. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Have a look at the firmware in the service menu, it will be interesting to see if they have update it.