Panasonic TH-PWD8BK - A step by step illustrated installation

Aled Mann

Standard Member
Reaction score
Please find below photographs of the installation of my Panasonic TH-42PWD8BK which took place yesterday (August 20th 2006) by http://www.northerndigital.co.uk

As you can see from the pictures below they were absolutely professional throughout and listened to all my comments. They offered sound advice on the best settings for my equipment and more importantly took maticulous care in their work. They were constantly double checking every step of the process making sure everything was ok whilst vaccuming excess mess at any given opportunity. I can't reccomend them enough.

I am very happy with the result they've given and all that's left for me to do now is finish decorating the room!

Thanks again lads for your sterling work. :thumbsup:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My lovely assistant Alice ;) x

1.jpg

The boys get the brackets up!

2.jpg

Preperation for the cabling begins.

3.jpg

That's the cabling finished!

4.jpg

Such tidy lads! Always cleaning up as they go. :smashin:

5.jpg

In go the fuses and the plastering.

6.jpg

Here goes nothing!

7.jpg

That's 1 panasonic pwd8 and 1 Yamaha YSP-1000 mounted rock solid on the wall.

8.jpg

*Click!* The screen comes to life!

9.jpg

Now connected to a Denon 1920 DVD player, we fire up Lord of the Rings. The sound and picture are incredible.

9b.jpg

And here's the (almost) finished result! Now all that's left is for us to finish off the decorating! :D

9c.jpg

Enjoy the world of Plasma :)

Adrian

Looks excellent.

What is the distance from the seat to the screen? My room looks a similar size and Im thinking that 37" might be a better size.

Also how do you find the virtual surround so far? Very appealing because it looks so clean. Do you plan on adding a sub?

Cheers Sapper! :D

The room is just over 3m wide pl@yer, so Im sitting about 2.5m away. I wanted a 37" too but the 37PWD8 was more expensive than the 42PWD8 so I thought sod it, I'll go for it! Im glad I did though because when you're sat down it totally immerses you. It's class! :thumbsup:

The sound from the Yamaha is simply outstanding too. I won't be going the sub route just yet as I'm totally skint, but once it was callibrated, Tom the installer cranked it up during Lord of the Rings and in one scene, there was a loud banging on a door and all 4 of us looked out the patio window at the same time. We could swear that the sound was coming from outside! It was very weird but very cool!

So yeah, so far I'm really pleased with it! Once the room is finished I'll post up the final result. :)

Very nice Aled Mann , nice and neat :). Although looking at the picture below , doesnt look very professional :nono:

shoddygz4.jpg

looks like you have neck ache to come as set looks a little too high at that distance from seating and the way they have put the electrical wire's on a diagonal in your wall is ileagal under current regs.

compo said:
looks like you have neck ache to come as set looks a little too high at that distance from seating and the way they have put the electrical wire's on a diagonal in your wall is ileagal under current regs.
Did you notice his lovely assistant Alice? I doubt Aled will be looking at the screen much!

I don't know who or what is sexier, the screen or Alice!!!

Only one choice really

Alice, Alice, Alice.

compo said:

Personal preference. Its fine where it is for us. We had it held there before we installed it; and if you notice the drawing on the wall you'll see we initially had it much higher than that! Its also on a tilting bracket, for those "I want to lie down" moments.

Interestingly, why is that cabling illegal?

Aled Mann said:
Interestingly, why is that cabling illegal?
I'm not an electrician, but if that load of cables includes a mains voltage, then I think it's supposed to be run in a vertical direction only.

Steve Zodiac said:
I'm not an electrician, but if that load of cables includes a mains voltage, then I think it's supposed to be run in a vertical direction only.

I would like to see a house that only has the mains cables running vertically.
Also I can confirm that mains supply cables have no knowledge of the direction they are installed.

According to compo's profile he is an electrician, so I hope he would know.

rayferry:

Obviously cables run horizontally under the floor and in attic etc; we're talking about cables buried in walls here!

Not really sure what you mean by: "Also I can confirm that mains supply cables have no knowledge of the direction they are installed."

I am trying to think of a good reason why you could not run a mains cable in any direction you wanted. Your mains cables are buried in your walls in the same way as this installation in plastic conduit. In the photographs they have used square plastic trunking to route the cables up to the installation. I would maybe have an issue with running mains supplies so close to signal cables, and in an ideal world it maybe best to use to longer route but as far as I can see there is nothing wrong with routing the mains cables at this angle. I don't have the regs to hand but would be interested in reading up on the reasons.

It's simply down to safety reasons. I you (or anyone) runs cables diagonally in the walls and the they know (and remembers) where the cables actually are, then that's fair enough I suppose - though not according to the regs I suspect.

What the regs are for is to also ensure the safety of anyone else moving into the property. If someone new to the property decides to attach something to the wall, thinking it's not above or below a socket or switch so should be ok, then get their drill out and bang - they didn't expect a cable there! I would probably use a metal/electricity detector first, but not everone does.

Anyway, it's not my field as I said before. Hopefully compo or another electrician will put us right. :)

From the safety aspect you are quite correct Steve, but as you say unless you check it's possible to drill into a cable at whatever angle it's installed.

Looking at the photos again (especially the first!), it looks as though the mains supply may not be in the diagonal run.

Just to clarify ....

Concealed cables at a depth of less than 50mm from the surface of the wall or partition must not be routed diagonally , except where protected as described in Regulation 522-06-06 (i) to (iii) (e.g. earthed metallic covering or earthed metalic enclosure). Cable capping is unlikely to be suitable.

I also hope it was installed by a competent person who has a minimum of Part P qualification. I also hope the installer did all associated electric tests on the *addition* and left you with a completed Minor Works certificate.

plasmad00d said:
Concealed cables at a depth of less than 50mm from the surface of the wall or partition must not be routed diagonally , except where protected as described in Regulatio 522-06-06 (i) to (iii) (e.g. earthed metallic covering or earthed metalic enclosure). Cable capping is unlikely to be suitable.

I take it this wouldn't apply if all the cables in the diagonal run are low voltage cables, i.e. not mains?

cant we get an after photo with alice like the before pose,but with the plasma in...and alice in it aswel

did i mention to get alice in the photo?

Unfortunaty another photo with me and the screen will not be gracing this forum anytime soon but thanks for the intrest... :)

I had my PX60 installed by Tom back over a month ago, I just haven't yet got round to putting up my pictures. Overall I was very pleased with the result too and can recommend him also.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom