• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH-P42V10 and TH-P50V10 Owners Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie

Prominent Member
Part 2 ended here.

Welcome to part 3.:smashin:

Last edited:

kerneld

Standard Member
Hi

The 30 minute notification doesn't show at all anymore on mine. Dunno how long it's been like that as I only noticed it the other day. My g/f got a new V10 on Friday and has a PS3 connected. On saturday we tested it and put it in game mode, the notification came on after one hour to say that 30 mins of playing time had passed. Two hours after that, nothing. I'm confused lol.

Baz
That's weird. So that's two units that don't display the notification, despite having Game mode selected and the notification option enabled in the menu?

Well, the first few times I tried to spot it, I somehow failed to see it. The counter resets quite easily. Changing modes, switching sources and apparently even resolutions (like going from the initial 1080p rendered XMB, to a 720p game -- when the TV "switches" resolution modes) results in the counter going back to 0. Could that be it?

Another thing that I should point out is that mine is the V10E model. Don't know if the british firmware has any issues with this, you should get other british users to test it for you and report back.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
That's weird. So that's two units that don't display the notification, despite having Game mode selected and the notification option enabled in the menu?

Well, the first few times I tried to spot it, I somehow failed to see it. The counter resets quite easily. Changing modes, switching sources and apparently even resolutions (like going from the initial 1080p rendered XMB, to a 720p game -- when the TV "switches" resolution modes) results in the counter going back to 0. Could that be it?

Another thing that I should point out is that mine is the V10E model. Don't know if the british firmware has any issues with this, you should get other british users to test it for you and report back.

Hi

I haven't had any reply from anyone in the UK that has a V10 and PS3 that can test it for me. Surely some of u V10 UK owners must have a PS3 and can test this for me?

Thanks

Baz

usman24

Established Member
I have been looking at these new tv's from Panasonic for my sister who is ready to upgrade her tv to a flat panel. I was shocked to discover washed out colours and poor black level performance [not much improvement from my older panny ph9 which I sold about a year ago and that was really bad when it came to black level depth] on the g10/v10 series on display in the store. Even in THX mode the contrast was below average.

No matter how low I took the brightness it looked mid/dark grey rather than black.

I was more impressed with the Panasonic TX-P46Z1 which appeared to have very good contrast and colour quality compared to the g10/v10. Essentially they should look the same but did not.

We both decided that the Samsung UE40B7020WW led backlight was the one to go for. This had excellent contrast and great colour performance in a very slim chassis!

Its a shame about the contrast levels on the g10/v10 as these were a bit cheaper to buy and did have good overall image quality.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I have been looking at these new tv's from Panasonic for my sister who is ready to upgrade her tv to a flat panel. I was shocked to discover washed out colours and poor black level performance [not much improvement from my older panny ph9 which I sold about a year ago and that was really bad when it came to black level depth] on the g10/v10 series on display in the store. Even in THX mode the contrast was below average.

No matter how low I took the brightness it looked mid/dark grey rather than black.

I was more impressed with the Panasonic TX-P46Z1 which appeared to have very good contrast and colour quality compared to the g10/v10. Essentially they should look the same but did not.

We both decided that the Samsung UE40B7020WW led backlight was the one to go for. This had excellent contrast and great colour performance in a very slim chassis!

Its a shame about the contrast levels on the g10/v10 as these were a bit cheaper to buy and did have good overall image quality.

The contrast levels on the G10/V10 are far higher than an LCD (LED Backlit), unfortunately you have viewed them under shop lighting which was the problem. 40,000:1 CR & 2,000,000:1 Dynamic contrast on the G10/V10 :)

usman24

Established Member
In my experience a darker than average environment with Panny plasma's [I have owned 4 panny plasma panels in the last few years] shows up the poor blacks even more. I would have thought the neopdp panels would have been a significant improvement in the black level dept.

I may have a look at them again to double check, but I am not convinced at the moment.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
In my experience a darker than average environment with Panny plasma's [I have owned 4 panny plasma panels in the last few years] shows up the poor blacks even more. I would have thought the neopdp panels would have been a significant improvement in the black level dept.

It's certainly not my experience of the G10 in cinema mode, the blacks are very black and will certainly wipe the floor with the Samsung LED TV's!:)

ANDRECOETZEE

Standard Member
TH-P50V10. I am from South Afrika and had a look at the mentioned pany. I was very disappointed - black level and motion worse than LCD's. I wonder if there ids a factory fault

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Hi

My g/f has asked me to ask on here. How do u update the V10's firmware via Viera cast?

Thanks

Baz

toodeep

Prominent Member
Vieracast is Panasonic's collection of web content widgets and nothing to do with firmware. To up-date a V10 connected to the net use the normal Setup menu instead.

gebbel

Established Member
In I would have thought the neopdp panels would have been a significant improvement in the black level dept.

I may have a look at them again to double check, but I am not convinced at the moment.

Blacks are excellent on the V10 and even slightly better on the G10. I must admit that when I first saw them in the shops, I had to look twice...due to the poor set-up location of the sets. But I ended up buying a V10 and am thrilled with it..looks so much better at home! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Vieracast is Panasonic's collection of web content widgets and nothing to do with firmware. To up-date a V10 connected to the net use the normal Setup menu instead.

Hi

Thats how I update mine but my g/f could update to firmware 2.013 this way. She spoke to Panasonic CS and they said she needs to update via Viera Cast. When u go into Viera Cast there is no option to update firmware lol. Have Panasonic been giving my g/f verbal BS?

Baz

dazsmith69

Established Member
Im my local Comet, the V10 looked excellent compared with the rest of the sets including a G10. The Samsung LED's are always going to look better in the shop with the 'showroom' setting on which does you eyes in after a while, but looks very impressive on first glance.

Theres too many condradicting statements on this site to come to a conclusion on which TV to buy, so in the end its personal choice, and what pros/cons your willing to live with.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
TH-P50V10. I am from South Afrika and had a look at the mentioned pany. I was very disappointed - black level and motion worse than LCD's. I wonder if there ids a factory fault

You have either seen a very poorly set up or faulty V10 or you simply see things differently to others :D The blacks are very good & motion handling is excellent providing IFC is turned off! :confused:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Hi

Thats how I update mine but my g/f could update to firmware 2.013 this way. She spoke to Panasonic CS and they said she needs to update via Viera Cast. When u go into Viera Cast there is no option to update firmware lol. Have Panasonic been giving my g/f verbal BS?

Baz

In a word Baz; YES, the only way is via the menu option & not Viera Cast :)

gobstopper

Established Member
Unless things have changed, I'm also under the impression that Firmware updates are done using the Freesat connection, not the net.

I was under the same impression myself as upon installing the set and connecting to Veira Cast to see what's what, it prompted me to perform an update. A couple of weeks later when 2.013 was released to fix the infamous ITV HD auto-dim issue, I tried solidly for 3 days to update, only to be told that the firmware I had at the time (2.011) was the most up-to-date.

Numerous contributors here said that firmware updates are only done via Freesat and while I was initially skeptical, I couldn't be absolutely certain that I didn't have the satellite cable connected on that first day (I don't have a dedicated feed and am currently 'borrowing' the cable from my Sky box to use Freesat). So I re-connected the satellite cable and within seconds of initiating another update (from the Setup menu), I was downloading 2.013.

toodeep

Prominent Member
Unless things have changed, I'm also under the impression that Firmware updates are done using the Freesat connection, not the net.

Both are possible. The latest firmware - addressing the sat-only ITV HD issue - is only available over a sat connection, apparently.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Hi

For the Freesat auto dimming issue I updated to the latest firmware 2.013 via:

Menu>Setup>Link Settings>Networksetup>Software Update

I've tried the same on my g/f's V10 and it still says that 2.011 is the latest firmware avaliable.

Baz

hetain

Established Member
Hi

For the Freesat auto dimming issue I updated to the latest firmware 2.013 via:

Menu>Setup>Link Settings>Networksetup>Software Update

I've tried the same on my g/f's V10 and it still says that 2.011 is the latest firmware avaliable.

Baz

Been watching the England game on ITV HD and the dimming issue is really annoying me! I got a TH-P42V10

I just checked the firmware and it is set to 2.011 and says it is the latest version and no update available. Anyone know how to sort this issue?

(silly thing is that i only recently updated the firmware and prior to the update there was no auto dimming on ITV HD!) If it aint broke.... :rolleyes:

cheers!

Last edited:

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Been watching the England game on ITV HD and the dimming issue is really annoying me! I got a TH-P42V10

I just checked the firmware and it is set to 2.011 and says it is the latest version and no update available. Anyone know how to sort this issue?

(silly thing is that i only recently updated the firmware and prior to the update there was no auto dimming on ITV HD!) If it aint broke.... :rolleyes:

cheers!

Hi

You need to fone Panasonic and they will send u out a SD card with the firmware update.

Baz

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom