1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-AE100 & pal progressive

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Can anyone confirm that the Panasonic Th-AE100 will not do pal progressive.

It accepts signals 525i (480i) 625i, 525p (480p) 750p (720p), 1125i (1080i)

I take it that it should accept 575i to do pal progressive.

cheers

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Tim it would need to take 575p surley and by the looks it doesn't

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks Roland.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timh

Do you, or anybody, really, really, really, really need PAL prog?

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Meat, Probably not, but you have to think about being upgradeable in the near future, sure progressive scan dvd players are a bit steep at the moment, but one day they could be sub £200, and may have pal prog attivated, for now I will being testing out my creative dxr3 for playback in progressive scan on my pc, (when I actually get round to buying a pj) but it would be more convenient to use a dvd player. I am sure I read somewhere recently that there is soon to be a budget progressive scan dvd player out soon in the UK, can anyone clarify this?
    At first I will be using s-vhs playback into the pj, this may not be good enough for me, time will tell.
    Easter is slowly approaching, I'm sure you were set for a purchase then, yes?
    Will it be the Panny?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timh

As you know, I had my heart set on a PJ-LC2001 from Hitachi, but as we have all sadly heard from our brethren here on the forum, it has taken an early nose dive onto the canvas!

So yes, the PT-AE100 (or TH-AE100) on some sites) is top of my list at the moment, followed by the SONY HS-1 and that’s it really. I was hoping that the Infocus LP110/Tosh MT5 would come a bit cheaper than they have, so they are above my budget!

The Panny and SONY are the only two that are in my price range with the features I require. The SONY has stood the time test better than the Hitachi has, so I think that I will learn from that and give the Panny at least 3 months on the market before I buy.

I am also hoping that the PT-AE100 will be available through my local Panasonic and Technics Centre, so that I can demo it without having to travel too far! If the price is right I may even buy it from them fro convenience sake.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Andrew

I have had a demo of the HS1, its OK but not one I would buy. The demo I had was at The Practical hi-fi show at Manchester on a 7ft wide screen, it was showing The Pod Race from SWE1, colours and contrast were good but thier was some vertical line structure, I coudnt put up with this, for £1700 I woudnt want any line structure at all. its also only 4:3 with a 16:9 mode, if the Panny is going to be sub £2000 for a 16:9 pj, its going to be the one for me, I may even risk buying it unseen, so I maybe the first on the forum.
    I asked for a quote for the Panny of av-sales, but they have no info on it as of today.
    Hope its available by Easter :D

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://ongen.econ-net.or.jp/phile-review/th-ae100/

translated bits..

Casual
    --------

The level, casual is raised,
    Can be called the high CP truly appearance of the projector which

Term of endearment is ' the casual theater ', but the image which starts projecting is real. Such a projector came out of Panasonic. Speaking honestly, there was no product where so far with the projector which sings " casual ", I fall flat forward in image and include. The knitting machine is different. As for this, I could face with image in earnest, it is the new casual projector.

Casual = common sense of the last picture quality which is permitted this product is unrelated. As for the knitting machine, according to word, it is the real front projector which can be used with ease. This model monopolizes the topic of the foam/home theater market of this winter probably will be as the advance guard which raises " casual " level.
    Matsu****a already the picture tube television, plasma display and has sent out truly colorful display to world, but this casual theater, if you see from the user, as a truly is the expectation which becomes the display which we would like to insert of the television in the hand next charm second display. In other words, therefore the commodity to which buy the projector in addition to those existing ones, the liquid crystal television and plasma display to add vis-a-vis being the commodity which rode the replacement demand which BS digital broadcast invites, stop wanting is.

When you look at the image of the DVD which the knitting machine starts projecting, 24 ten thousand 8000 Yen you are surprised to the price which is said. As for the expression that " the CP (cost performance) is high ", it is the extent which you can think it is because of the knitting machine. The true CP is not comparison of efficiency in a certain price range, it is the price ratio for absolute efficiency, is my cherished opinion. If as for height of the CP of the knitting machine, this price, it is not the dimension that, it can be satisfied well, you can taste this image, at this price, if it has been formed at dimension of the surprise that it is cheap. Until now there was no product which can actualize this picture quality even with the projector of 30 ten thousand Yen levels.

Technology
    --------------

Approach to substantial high picture quality bears, this excellent machine

The knitting machine the foam/home theater largest program source, is the product which decides the focus in playback of the DVD.

With the liquid crystal projector of 3 board types, as for the liquid crystal panel of the heart, 0.7 type SVGA wide panels which correspond to the progressive image of the 525p (16:9). With the commodity of this class, it is new loading. As for the number of pixels approximately 124 ten thousand pixels. Image of the 750P/1125i of BS digital broadcast becomes simplicity playback. With combination of the UHM lamp of this panel and 120W correspondence, 700 lumen in brightness, 500:1 contrasts are actualized, but in the projector for home, each of them, is a sufficient value.

0.7 type SVGA wide panels which are loaded onto the knitting machine (16:9). It corresponds to the input of 525p image. Something which is loaded onto only the high-class projector so far it is

Projection possible picture size is 40 - 200 inches, but really it is suited for the use at 40 - 80 inches. It is short, the focus type lens (->) with adoption, also the fact that you can obtain the large picture at the narrow room is major feature. Between 6 tatami mats, the fact that it can actualize the screen size of 80 inches is something which satisfies small-sized front projector of future the essential condition.
    Appearance and the finish are substantial, but there is the device where is desirable in the small part. The fan of 2 feather structures (<-) you use, decreases wind cutting noise (approximately 30dB) with simultaneously, the fact that among other things an optical leak from the fan hole is prevented is the good example. The whole is collected A4 size, the 2.7kg lightweight, can make conveyance and setting simple

--------
    Viewing as for doing, one room of the Matsu****a Electric Co.. Is not the private viewing room, but plain air does not enter, it can control interior light unrestrictedly. You drop interior light when viewing entirely.

From the DVD which you carry, ' the good knight * moon ' you see. This, with the work which I today have made reference of the play movie, in extremely the natural contour, is the disk where sufficient resolution is obtained. Viewing sent out the interlace signal of the 525i from the DVD player, that the to 525p looked at the image which is converted on side of the knitting machine.

Because the jaggy is held down well in the whole, it can express the part of the slanted line clearly. Chapter 15 ' natural shape of secret ', it starts during the color vivid tinted autumn leaves. Alone, centering on the man, the original wife (&#12473;&#12540;&#12470;&#12531; * saran Don) with, the present lover (&#12472;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450; * Roberts) it is the scene which confronts each other, but unless the nature of the long shot of the background where color is plugged &#20295; will not, it is the image where beauty of &#12472;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450; * Roberts's who in the dark background surfaces close-up becomes the deciding factor.

When it does at first glance, regardless you can think in the image which is not, but to tell the truth this with the tune person, for the liquid crystal projector it is rather difficult image. As for being difficult beige of the &#12472;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450;&#12525;&#12496;&#12540;&#12484;. In order to come out, we want to be white, but in the mostly projector, it becomes the beige whose redness is strong. As for this, with depth of color and adjustment just of color tone, with the beige which cannot be actualized first, it is the part where the setting which includes gamma becomes necessary. The complexion which was played back with the knitting machine was something which considerably is close to my ideal. Especially, with the knitting machine which does not have detailed adjustment function, first, it admired to to be able to drive to here picture quality.

' The shake spear which falls to love ' with, you look at chapter 10. The shake spear, disappears to the dance meeting which is done at the mansion of the , the daughter of the , the it is the scene which dances. Here first, good quality of the color being attached of the knitting machine came life. Material feeling of the luxurious clothes of nobility is riding with real, to the part of the small decoration, as for color clearly. With the scene of the balcony of the night when it follows to this, it is game atmosphere of the night appears to somewhere that. The in the jet black, those which are visible are visible and the natural light and darkness must be obtained. This is the most difficult expression for the display of the liquid crystal. As for atmosphere of the night when the knitting machine engenders, black did not come up under any condition, had expressed also the bright difference of the dark space, rather naturally. It does not reach to the image of the picture tube, but it probably will be possible to call best ones as a display of the liquid crystal.

I endeavored chief produce, ' the South Pole story ', never it is not the material of high picture quality, but with authoring, it guarantees sufficient bit rate, it has become the SI rising which can express the nuance of original image accurately. The latter half of the movie, 2 dogs which survive in the South Pole, the and giro, the ice sea where the ice starts dissolving as for the large bird's eye view shot which runs about, in this movie, are the image which I like, but the helicopter which places the camera rose gradually, becoming the point scene the form of the dog like the bean grain, it was possible to look over that clearly. If with projection of 80 inches, just this you can describe detail, in regard to resolution dissatisfaction probably will not first come out. The former casual projector, one line is work outed to be possible, is.

This way, in expression of the light and darkness and in reappearance of color and, the knitting machine showed generally high ability in expression of detail. 24 ten thousand 8000 Yen from the price which is said it is the high picture quality which cannot be imagined. The image where the balance which does not show the limpness of the liquid crystal is good will not choose the program, probably will be possible to say it is something which it withstands also the gaze of the noisy user in picture quality.

This in prototype, furthermore, also the product for the maniac who provides detailed adjustment function is thought. Sale of the knitting machine in period, it drastically changes the aspect of the casual foam/home theater probably will be. How, even with the simple equipment, with the picture quality appraisal pulling out the times when is not already arrived with problem.

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Specs
    -------

< TH-AE100 SPECIFICATIONS >

Projection system 3LCD panel, 1 lens, 3 primary color systems
    LCD panel 0.7 Type wide LCD panels 3
    Pixel number Approximately 124 ten thousand the pixel
    Lens Manual zoom & focusing (1 - 1.2 times)
    Lamp 120W UHM lamp
    Projection picture 40 - 200 types (aspect ratio 16:9)
    Color system NTSC, NTSC4,43, PAL and PAL-M/N/SECAM
    Corresponding signal FH:15kHz - 70kHz, fV:50 - 87hz
    DTV (525i,525p.625i,1125i,750p)
    Brightness 700lm (ANSI) the time of lamp mode high
    Contrast 500:1 (all white / all black)
    Speaker Largest 2w (monaural)
    Power source voltage AC100V and 50/60Hz
    Electric power consumption 180W (when waiting 0.5w)
    External size The 280W×85h×243dmm * the lens it includes, the set leg it includes
    Mass 2.7kg
    Input terminal Video input: RCA pin ×1
    S video input: S terminal ×1
    Component input: RCA pin ×3
    PC input (RGB): D-sub15 pin ×1
    Audio input: RCA pin ×2, M3 jack ×1
    Accessory AC cord/code (3m), carrying back, AV cable (3m), remote control, lens cap, instruction manual
    < Option summary >

Item name Item turn Desired retail price Contents
    Screen TY-SR90CT XXYEN 48,000 80 - 90 types, the foam/home elector - the shelf you install, / the wall mounting
    Screen TY-SR70CT XXYEN 39,000 65 - 70 types, the foam/home elector - the shelf you install, / the wall mounting
    Heaven hanging metallic parts TY-PKE100 XXYEN 55,000 Heaven hanging metallic parts
    Foam/home elector - shelf table clamp TY-ERE100 XXYEN 9,800 Foam/home elector - shelf itself table clamp
    Image cable TY-SC10CP XXYEN 4,800 Component - component 10m

Image cable TY-SC10DT XXYEN 4,800 Component -D terminal 10m

Lamp for exchange ET-LAE100 XXYEN 30,000 Lamp unit for exchange
    Tripod TY-TS1 XXYEN 14,800 Tripod

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    My Mrs did say she wanted a new knitting machine ;)
    :confused: :confused:

11. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.pricejapan.com

Currently listing this PJ at $1410 shipped to europe!
    My somewhat dodgy maths makes this about £990!
    Now thats a tempting offer.....has anyone actually seen this device in action?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather an elusive little bugger this one!

Panasonic don’t reply to my e-mails, AV-sales.com haven’t got any info yet (but that’s not their fault) and the only info I have gleamed is from a very small article in What TV & Video, and Japanese, Chinese and Malaysian websites! And the Forum, of course!!

13. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    that pricejapan.com deal is so tempting! isn't anyone going to take the plunge and be a guinea pig? :)

If I did order one (hypothetically speaking, of course) would I need any sort of adapter or stepdown transformer to get it to work in the UK? Are there likely to be any difference between the Japanese model and the forthcoming European model?

Cheers

T.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cost is sure to be inflated, at least for the 1st few months!

15. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further digging on the www.pricejapan.com site seems to indicate it is a 100volt model.....fine for our cousins but we would need a stepup transformer....not an insurmountable option...I believe Maplins do one...if they dont then RS Components certainly do

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally I have got a response from Panasonis.

They say that it will be available at the end of January and should be available from local Panasonic Centres. That should make it easier to get a demo!

They couldn't give me any more details than that, so no price yet!

17. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get my email? I intend to get the Monroe for the following reasons:

In Germany it is available at a very good price ... see www.computeruniverse.net. I am based in Dublin and will save more than 2000 Euro importing it.
    Bulb life = 6000 hours.
    Fan noise 32DB.
    Got some excellent reviews.
    Compatible with the ISCAN PRO.

19. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The interesting thing on DRC's Panasonic link is the price 2499 Euros, about £1534.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well HCC have a short piece on it in this months issue and say that they "were treated to a demonstration".

Someone there like to give us more info, considering you have actually seen one?

21. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The TH-AE100 (or PT-AE100 depending where in the world you are) has made it to Projector Central, only extra info they add is that it has 2000 hour lamp life, 5000 low power mode, but now details what that means in reality.

22. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do we definitely know yet that it doesn't do progressive pal?

thought by the frequency range listed that it might do...

23. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the possibility of having to pay duty (may not be much) but then you will be required to pay 17.5% VAT on the total (Cost+carriage+duty).

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If you look close at the photo in HCC the model nuber is PT-AE100

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    There talking about this pj at avsforum here

26. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Check it out at Panasonics website see here
    It states its progressive scan compatible (525p)

27. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    525p is NTSC Progressive. You're after 576p for PAL.

Ian Guinan

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Ian , I cant see why Panasonic bother to mention the fact it does progressive scan. :(
    Fair enough if its on the American website but this is the UK one.

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

First time on this forum so hopefully can be of some help on this thread.

First off just to be up front I am a UK AV Dealer and in particular a Panasonic Dealer.

Like you all we are dying to tie down the fine detail on this new projector - we have seen a pre production model and were very excited by what we saw at the 'target' price we were given a few months ago.

I just skimmed through the thread so a couple of points to add to the discussion:

Model Number - PT-AE100 I haven't seen anything to indicate that this model will have a different model number in non UK markets.

Panasonic Reduced Lamp mode - on all of the other PT LCD range the reduction in light output is normally 20%. Allied to the reduce light output the fan runs much slower and is barely audible (28dB) even in a quiet room.

Price - I think what has happened is that the original 'target' price of £1500.00 was an ex VAT figure and many forums have picked up on that figure without adding in the VAT.

Inflated costs - I cant see the logic in that one. Unless this product is a turkey, and early indications are that it is not, then if Panasonic follow there normal practices the model will only see a price reduction as it gets into the last month of its trading life.

Panasonic LCD - we are probably fairly unfashionable as we have been selling this product range for a number of years now and it is getting better and better each year and is very reliable.

I'll try and post firm pricing as soon as we get it - hopefully later this week - and all going to plan we will have a demo unit in the not too distant future.

Regards

Joe

30. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Joe,

Dont be shy, tell us your Dealer name and location, you could even add your web page under your name, there are other Forum members who put a link with thier Forum name.
    If not you could email me your info.
    I have counted at least four members here who are interested in the Panasonic, including me.