Panasonic TH-58AX800UK with Sonos Arc

dibolton

Novice Member
I have a 2015 (model year 2014) Panasonic TH-58AX800 and a Sonos Arc. I was fully aware I would not get Dolby Atmos but expected to get Dolby 5.1. I can only achieve PCM Stereo with my current setup.

Xbox series X - TV HDMI 4 - HDMI 2 (out) to Sonos Arc

Xbox will not give me bitstream out with this setup. Using a TiVo box I get the same stereo output.

In another room with a cheap tv I can get Dolby 5.1...

Any help would be massively appreciated

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Plenty of the first and second generation ARC enabled TV’s only support 2.0 via the TV HDMI Inputs - even if the TV supports 5.1 from its internal Apps and tuner.

Check the User Manual it will usually detail what the HDMI Inputs on the TV supports.

Joe

dibolton

Novice Member
BD5C73EB-C1D2-4F92-8DA5-5E56EFF8D922.jpeg
I thought that might be the case. The manual still gives me hope but I can’t figure out. I’ll post a few pages if anyone has time to take a look.
D0056B18-F4CE-488F-AE5C-4E24A4D45A6C.jpeg
C489E9B9-AF64-4768-B6BC-D95BDE2A8667.jpeg

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The first paragraph you circle suggests connecting your external devices direct to your sound system if you want 5.1 - which supports the suggestion that the TV only supports 2.0 via its HDMI Inputs.

You could add an Optical Switch to the system and use that with the SONOS ARC HDMI/Optical adapter if you have more than one Source with Optical Out to connect to the SONOS ARC.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You can add the HDFury Arcana to the system and connect the Xbox direct to the Arcana - that way you can send full uncompressed Atmos to the SONOS ARC, plus 4K UHD to the TV and retain ARC from the TV for any Apps you use on the TV.

Joe

dibolton

Novice Member
The HDFury Arcana works. Had an issue where the original plug didn’t work but swapped plugs and it gives me Atmos via 1 input. A splitter might be my next purchase so I can get Atmos from the fire stick as well.
Thanks for the advice.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You require an HDMI Switch if you want to connect multiple Source devices to the HDMI Input on the HDFury Arcana.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Auto sources selection relies on a number of factors and can be far from reliable - you also need to ensure the switch will be compatible with the Arcana and correctly signal which formats are being sent by the Source devices.

Send me a PM and I’ll send you some pointers.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom