Panasonic TH-50PZ80B - today's equivalent?

MrBungle2005

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As an aside to a thread I started about a fault with this set of mine I have been doing some googling as to what the fault might be.

As there is a possibility it could be the panel that has gone, is the G series the nearest equivalent, bearing in mind this TV was one of the better TV's in their range when I bought it?

I'll be dealing with John Lewis under their 5 year warranty and will be hoping it can be fixed as I love this TV so much. But if it is worse case scenario should I be looking at a G model? The cheap model they do sounds awful compared to the quality I have been enjoying with this set.

I can't see 3D because of an eyesight problem, so have no interest in any of those models at all. Thanks for any input.

I would say the G30 is fair when stacked up against the 3D models, though I think you should try for a ST30

When the PZ80 was released you had:

PZ850
PZ800
PZ85/81
PZ80

and now:
VT30
GT30
ST30
G30

Although you don't need 3D the ST30 gives a better 2D picture than the G30. Either one will be better than the PZ80 though.

Last edited:
I would say the G30 is fair when stacked up against the 3D models, though I think you should try for a ST30

PZ850
PZ800
PZ85/81
PZ80

and now:
VT30
GT30
ST30
G30

Although you don't need 3D the ST30 gives a better 2D picture than the G30. Either one will be better than the PZ80 though.

I agree with the above but will add the S30 as being better too. The G10/15 in 09 was as good if not better than the PZ80/81(though had the mml rise), then in 2010 the G20 was better still, the S30 is around the G20 level.

From memory, John Lewis replace with an existing model or its nearest equivalent (either by original price or previous specification) from current local stock
You have little choice, as they simply state "a replacement will be issued and delivery details provided separately"

At that stage ask what make and model the replacement is, then advise you will phone them back
Check the price and specification, if it meets your requirements accept the replacement
If not, then ask about a specific model (easier with their website in front of you)
You may then have to make an additional payment

This is a known issue with older models and where the specification is very different

Ah Ok - I was getting confused looking at the models. Because the price at John Lewis seemed so cheap for the ST (I haven' had cause to look at prices in quite some time) I assumed the ST was no so good compared to the other models (I was confusing the G and GT models)

I'm still hoping my TV is fixed as I really do like it. Plus I have treated it like a new born baby, it still looks like brand new. Coupled with it being on the matching pedestal stand which it looks like Panasonic don't do anymore :(

Appreciate the replies :)

How much did you pay originally for your PZ80, around £999 I assume?

At the moment the 50" ST30 is going for £599 at richersounds, so there is no reason to not get at least that. Although they don't match online stores I know Amazon have the GT30 for £999 so you may even be able to stretch to that.

I actually paid £1,199 for mine after a price match with Sound and Vision (who were the cheapest at the time).

After looking around some more and depending on how a repair may or my not go, I think I'd be prepared to stump up some money for the GT30. I'm hoping it won't come to that of course.

Although google has thrown up some instances of people not being allowed to pay extra for a better model than what might be offered, and then having to argue their case with JL.

As an aside to this... I have kept this set pristine. I mean it literally looks like brand new. When they come to collect it for an assessment, how do I handle asking them to avoid touching the screen etc? I've managed to not do it for 3 1/2 years - but I don't want to come across the wrong way when asking some guy to treat my set with kid gloves. I'm obviously hoping they are professional - but it seems that depending on what area you live in, it varies greatly on the service you receive. I think there was even a post on these forums advising someone to take photos of their set to show the condition it was in before being taken away. I think this stemmed from someone saying they had received a set back with finger prints on the screen and some scratches on the bezel.

As I mentioned, mine is on the proper Panasonic stand and so I'm not sure how they will transport it? I don't mind admitting it makes me nervous when I look after stuff so well.

I know how you feel, I had to send my PZ81 out to a Panasonic service engineer because it kept powering off due to a loose wire but it came back fine.

There isn't really a lot you can do, asking someone to take care is more likely to make them not since it is almost like insulting them. If you are worried then take pictures for your own piece of mind, but a few scratches here or there if it does get fixed is to be expected as they aren't going to be handling them with cotton gloves, but obviously more serious damage and you will have a claim.

Yeah you are right - if I want it repaired I have no choice.

How was your panel transported? I keep calling my stand the pedestal stand, but I don't think it is called that. I have it on the official stand that has the glass shelves on it. The TV slides onto two spikes on the stand. Once you take it off the stand there is nothing to support the TV upright. I'm curious as to how they would take it away and keep it safe and upright.

if JL repairers advised that the tv requires a new panel , JL will more than likely go down the uneconomical route
JL will deduct approx 20% for each year of use so example if you tv is 4 years old they will value your TV at around £500

How much did you pay originally for your PZ80, around £999 I assume?

At the moment the 50" ST30 is going for £599 at richersounds, so there is no reason to not get at least that. Although they don't match online stores I know Amazon have the GT30 for £999 so you may even be able to stretch to that.

Richer sounds will match online prices.

PZ850
PZ800
PZ85/81
PZ80

and now:
VT30
GT30
ST30
G30

Agreed to an exent but not sure the ST30 would give a better picture then the G30, the G30 has better calibration adjustments so maybe the picture could be made better, although the Infinite Black Pro filter does create the ilusion of a better pic o the St30.
Also with one caveat, IMO the older models seemed to go brighter, not sure if this is specific to my particular model or my individual panel but IMO it could do with having some more boost to the contrast/white level.
My mums PZ81 on Cinema mode at 50% contrast puts out more light than my ST30 at max in Cinema mode, maybe to achieve the better black levels?:rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong the overall picture is very good but if you like punchy whites maybe try another manufacturer

I have kept this set pristine
I mean it literally looks like brand new
When they come to collect it for an assessment, how do I handle asking them to avoid touching the screen etc?
I've managed to not do it for 3 1/2 years
How have you managed to remove dust from the rear, and especially the screen, without touching it?
I usually clean the glass once a month and the rear every 3 months, so touching the TV is inevitable

During the assessment it will be essential to handle the unit
However, most engineers know NOT to touch the screen and there should be no need to
In most cases the unit will be taken away, stickers may be applied to the rear
Equally, the unit will be declared as soiled, even if you are of the opinion it is pristine, as it is now used

I use a soft cloth to keep the surround bezel clean. I use the soft blue cloth that came with the set to wipe down the screen and so its always dust free.

At the back I have a low powered battery vacuum cleaner to keep the vents clean. There is only me living here so no one touches the Tv. I took some photos of it yesterday and it truly looks like brand new. Much to my friends annoyance, it still has the sticker on the right side bezel edge with the specs of the TV on it!

I use a soft cloth to keep the surround bezel clean. I use the soft blue cloth that came with the set to wipe down the screen and so its always dust free
So you are touching the glass then
I had to buy a pack of these clothes, they are only supposed to be used once

Reusing the original removes dust, then puts older dust back on at a later date

Much to my friends annoyance, it still has the sticker on the right side bezel edge with the specs of the TV on it!
That's a bit much
My LG had that, removed it and stuck it to the side of the box
My current Panasonic didn't have such a sticker, but it does have the specifications in the bottom right hand corner of the frame, and it looks like they are permanently bonded rather than removal or vinyl :
DVB - digital - Freeview - Dolby

This is all too Sheldon Cooper for me!

Last edited:
So you are touching the glass then
I had to buy a pack of these clothes, they are only supposed to be used once

You are thinking of a different blue cloth. This is a proper reusable cloth (which I did replace and Panasonic charge almost a tenner for them. Definitely not a one use job), and easy to shake dust off so that you don't put dust back on the screen. It even tells you that you can wash it in the instructions that come with it. Its like a silk material.

I'm not quite sure why I'm explaining this in such detail. But no I don't touch the screen - as in there are no finger prints on it. There is no dust on it, and there are no smears or marks on it.

I suffer with asthma and use an ioniser with air circulation in it which captures a lot of dust in the living room. You'll just have to take my word for it that the screen is immaculate. I'll get the repairman to sign an affidavit tomorrow and post it here for you to see ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom