Panasonic TH-50PZ80 vs LG 50PS8000 - and no MPEG4 tuner is not a party stopper

gnavox

Standard Member
Hi,

I've been reading in here and on other forums for a while, looking for a new Full HD plasma television in 50" size. I had decided to go for a Panasonic 50" G10 until I saw the TH-50PZ80 about 520$ cheaper and read, that the differences between the two TV's weren't essential at all for me. I need a great close-to-enthusiast tv, but it doesn't have to be state-of-the-art and reference class. I can live with one of the best from last year.

Now I am very, very close to order a Panasonic TH-50PZ80 from a Danish online retailer. Just to be completely certain that this TV is the right one for me, I looked at other TV's in the same price class and found LG 50PS8000 - the flagship from LG. Both TV's cost about 1.860$ in danish currency. I haven't even read about the cheaper LG's since I don't trust a 50" tv in the 1.400$ price class.

Except from the fact that the LG is a new LG flagship model, has MPEG4-tuner which I dont need and a better OSD with calibration options, it seems to me that the Panasonic TH-50PZ80 performs better in terms of everything else; im thinking contrast, black levels, retention and so forth.

I am either:

a) a fool in love with an old Panasonic TV

b) going for no-fuzz picture quality instead of buzzwords and cool design

So which one is it?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom