1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Th-50PW5B reviews

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cmhunt, Mar 26, 2003.

1. cmhunt

cmhunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All :hiya: ,
    I am looking to purchase a 50"plasma screen, having spent the price of a screen on av-mags (almost! :)
    I can only find reviews of the Pioneer PDP-503HDE. If I was to purchase based on the mag.reviews, there would appear to be only one option. But having read the msgs from this forum, I know that is not the case. These screens are "very thin on the ground" locally - (Ireland), as are dealers who even pretend to know anything about them. As a result , I am practically buying from a catalog - sight unseen and an honest, un-biased review would help to make my decision. The Panasonic Th-50PW5B appears to be the only viable alternative to the pioneer for me, but where are the reviews?
    I am considering purchasing from www.techtronics.com (They recommend the Pioneer).I would appreciate any info / opinion.

Regards
    CMH:clap:

2. johndonovan

johndonovan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Sound & Vision, Bolton they are selling it for £4999. See their website for more info: http://www.soundandvision.uk.com/index.html

4. cmhunt

cmhunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,
    Thanks for the url. I have already read the reviews appropriate to the us models from pioneer & panasonic. unfortunately the screens appear to be more suitable to the american ntsc market, the pioneer model only supports ntsc progressive scan and "purecinema" feature. this makes it difficult to make direct comparisons between the ntsc and pal models, as these features will obviously enhance the picture quality when tested with ntsc source material. A UK biased review would be more accurate - if only there was one. I wonder if any member of the forum has had the same dilemma as myself - maybe they have even eye-balled both screens. I would be interesting to see what decision they came to and why?

Regards
    CMH :clap:

5. cmhunt

cmhunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delta,
    thanks for the info, looked ate the Sound & Vision site, but it looks like they do not ship to ireland.

Regards

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    cmhunt

The mags can only review what they are sent - its down to Panasonic Consumer to send out a 50" model to be considered.

Even if you stick to just two manufacturers you have SIX options to consider from the current model line ups:

01. Panasonic TH-50PHW5B - Silver bezel - RCA Terminal board for Composite or S-Video plus RGB or YUV Component video.

02. Panasonic TH-50PHW5B/PTA-TU600B - Silver Bezel + Tuner Terminal board + External TV tuner Media Box.

03. Panasonic TH-50PHD5BX - Charcoal bezel - BNC Terminal Board for Composite or S-Video plus RGB or YUV Component video.

04. Pioneer PDP-503HDE - Silver bezel + External TV Tuner Media Box.

05. Pioneer PDP-503 MXE - Charcoal bezel - PDA-5002 video board for Composite, S-Video, RGB, YUV and DVI inputs (YUV is compatible with PAL and NTSC Progressive Scan on this Pioneer model).

06. Pioneer PDP-503 MXES - Silver bezel - same spec as above.

Irelands not too far away!!!

Best regards

Joe

7. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I saw a review of a Yamaha 50 which is the Panny PW5B rebadged and it got a great review - can't remember which mag though!!

I have the Panny 50, superb bit of kit, better than the Pio IMHO.

If you can get it for 5K snap their hand off!!

Regards BigH.

8. cmhunt

cmhunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe & BigH,
    Thanks for responding to my post.
    Your right Joe, England is not that far away. My problem started at christmas. I had read all the mags. and was going to purchase the PDP-503HDE as a goodie for myself. I was visiting relations in London and decided to take a trip to the holy grail for gadget freeks, that is tottenham court road, to hopefully view a pioneer and confirm my decision. Big mistake, i should just have ordered the set and be done with it. While looking around tott. saw 4 PDP-503HDEs in different locations. I even saw several Pana screens - BigH. All the pana-screens looked good, but a little less bright than the pioneers. The pioneers were a mixed bag, 2 looked fab. while the others had terrible grain/pixilation and background noise. All the screens were displaying dvd source material. when i asked why the pioneer sets had poor displays , I was diverted to other manufacturers. In the end, I came home more confused and disillusioned and decided to wait until I could read a review of any 50” Panasonic screen and I’m still waiting. I’ve got the plasma itch now and I don’t want to wait for the version6 screens, reported on this forum as been released in September.
    I suppose the big question should be directed to BigH, presumably you viewed the pioneer before making your purchasing decision and decided the pana was better, but having purchased and lived with it, if you were to purchase again would you make the same decision?? Has the pana any negative aspects, that I should know about?

Best Regards

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    cmhunt

Who said anything about England! :)

Up here in the cold North we have Pioneer and Panasonic displays aplenty - they keep us nice and warm in our wee houses and as we never go out in the winter they get lots of side by side comparisons.

Best regards

Joe

10. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    cmhunt,

I've had my Panny for 3 months now and despite some probs I would not swap it for anything else. I did view the Pioneer and Panny, and went for the Panny as the contrast is visibly better IMHO compared to the Pio especially the blacks. The Pio is brigther however I would not go on some of the shop displays as they are normally too bright anyway. I too went to TCR to do some negotiating and was not impressed by some of the demos. in the end I bought on line and whilst not the cheapest IVOJO.c.uk have proved to be excellent from a service and support point of view.

As for problems I've had some, the famed Plasma buzz!!

My first panel was fine however it failed after 1 month, replaced with no hassle with a new one. Unfortunatley it did buzz louder than the first and eventually I sent it back to Panasonic (to be precise they collected and left me with a temporary screen - 42"!!)for analysis. Alhough they said it was in spec they credited the dealer who will be dispatching me yet another brand new one!!

All of this sounds a bit off putting, however you should bear in mind that despite the fact that I could actually change it for something else I am choosing to stick with it because its the dogs b******s, nuff said!!

Browse these forums you'll find plenty of feedback on this subject, at the end of the day you have to make your own mind up, personally you will not go wrong with either the Panny or the Pio - both are superb.

Hope this helps.

Regards BigH.

11. cmhunt

cmhunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe & BigH,
    Thanks for the replies.
    Joe, I have never been to Edinburgh, but it sounds like I might have a “good excuse” to visit. The winter evenings on the north-west coast of Ireland get very chilly - I must get me one of those plasma heaters you use :laugh: .

BigH - Best of luck with the new pana screen, you must be overdue a good one.

I have read that the life expectancy of a plasma screen should be around 30,000 hours, approx 8-10 years normal viewing. I have never even thought of how reliable (or otherwise) a plasma screen may be. But the thought of having to ship a faulty one over and back to England or Scotland – Joe, does not appeal to me.
    Joe – Is BigH’s experience the exception or is it fairly common, should I be factoring in reliability into the purchase decision. I had assumed that by choosing well known brands like Pioneer and Panasonic, the risk of faulty product was minimised.

Best Regards
    cmh
    :clap:

12. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi cmh,

I received my replacement 50" panny yesterday, Great!!!!!!!

Quiet as it should be and superb images as always.

Don't hestitate - go for it!

Regards BigH.

13. cmhunt

cmhunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BigH,
    I guess you will be staying in watching DVD's for the the foreseeable future, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that this screen is a good'un. Enjoy!

I going back to the UK in May, when I'll set aside time to view both screens side by side and choose one once and for all. Thanks for all your assistance.

Best Regards
    CMH
    :clap:

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    cmh

We'll incorporate a pre heater into your display for those chilly nights! or what about a no frost setting!

Plasma displays are very reliable with Pioneer edging out Panasonic in my experience - there's not much in it but the Pioneer displays do seem to be pretty much infallible.

There are Pioneer and Panasonic service agents in NI so no real requirement to ship a display back to the mainland for service should you require it - we have quite a few customers in the North and the South.

Best regards

Joe