Panasonic TH-50/65PF10 Owners Thread

hi guys:)

i'm now the proud owner of a gorgeous pf10 50":arty:

its got sky hd and a ps3 running through the two hdmi slots on the dual board,

i was told by av sales that it had component and that i'd be able to connect my 360 to it but the connectors are different on the component terminal board than the ones on the 360 component lead:confused:

i've got it connected via vga at the min but wanted to use that connector for my htpc.

its running on the settings out of the box at the min, i've read a few threads where "running in time" is mentioned. should i adjust the settings to aid this??

or is there anything else i should be doing settings wise or anything else??

cheers for your time

Chuck:)

Great choice mate, you will not be disappointed

:thumbsup:

Nice choice of screen :)

What you need are some BNC type connector to Phono type connector adapters.

BNC PLUG TO PHONO SOCKET

The panasonic screen has the component inputs but they are of the BNC type.

Kev

Does it matter?

The additional features in HDMI 1.3 are:

Significant new features:
- Type C “Mini-Connector” (4.1.9.5, 4.1.9.6)
- Cable Categories 1 and 2 (4.2.6)
- Deep Color [4:4:4] (6.5, 8.3.2)
- Reference Cable Equalizer (4.2.3.2, 4.2.5, 4.2.6)
- Higher-speed single-link (4.1.2, 4.2.3,through 4.2.6, 8.3.2)
- xvYCC Enhanced Colorimetry (6.7.2.3)
- Gamut Metadata transmission (5.3.12, 6.7.3, Appendix E))
- DST audio format (5.3.10, 7.6.3)
- High-bitrate compressed audio formats (5.3.11, 7.2.4, 7.3.3, 7.6.2)
- Auto-Lipsync Correction feature (8.3.2, 8.9)

Don't see the need for High bitrate audio (>6Mbits/sec - that's 2x higher than BBC Freeview video bitrates!). Marketing, marketing, marketing IMHO (you'd be far better off buying a better surround system than worry about high bitrate compressed audio)...

I do agree that it probably isnt needed right now. Not for me on component and analogue anyway.

Hopefully panasonic may do an upgrade sometime in the future as the technology evolves.
The bitrate of freeview really isnt that great.
Bit of an audiophile myself and I would eventually like to fully utilise the power behind my HTPC :thumbsup:

Still I cant wait to see my screen in action :)

Kev

its running on the settings out of the box at the min, i've read a few threads where "running in time" is mentioned. should i adjust the settings to aid this??

I have read on these forums to take the screen out of dynamic mode and to use 50% brightness/contrast for the first 200hrs.
Not sure if it is necessary these days, maybe someone can confirm this?

Kev

hi guys:)

i'm now the proud owner of a gorgeous pf10 50":arty:

its got sky hd and a ps3 running through the two hdmi slots on the dual board,

i was told by av sales that it had component and that i'd be able to connect my 360 to it but the connectors are different on the component terminal board than the ones on the 360 component lead:confused:

i've got it connected via vga at the min but wanted to use that connector for my htpc.

or is there anything else i should be doing settings wise or anything else??

cheers for your time

Hi Chuck, welcome to the club :thumbsup: :hiya:

As AIstudio states, you need three BNC to RCA adapters to get the component input to work.

For settings, I would again advise to take it off Dynamic mode for all inputs and try super cinema. For contrast and brightness, I would have a tweak to suit your own room environment. Ambient lighting will tend to dictate how you want to set it up.

I got mine just before Christmas, and the panel is just bomb proof, no retention at all, so happy viewing.

Gazza

excellent cheers for the advice guys:thumbsup:

so theres no need for a bedding in period then so long as select super cinema rather than dynamic??

i might just buy a y splitter cable and connect my 360 / pc to that as they won't be on a the same time, will i get any loss of pic quality doing that though??

cheers

Hopefully panasonic may do an upgrade sometime in the future as the technology evolves.
The point I was making is that you won't get any benefit from 1.3 anyway - it's all in the audio formats, and we're all buying this panel as people who have external systems anyway...

The bitrate of freeview really isnt that great.
Bit of an audiophile myself and I would eventually like to fully utilise the power behind my HTPC :thumbsup:
The point I was making is that the 1.3 audio support is for AUDIO streams that are higher bitrate than current freeview VIDEO bitrates (BBC on freeview is ~3.2Mbits/sec). The BBC bitrate for audio is ~270kbits/sec. The high bitrate audio is ~30x this bitrate - really, it won't sound 30x better (probably won't sound even 2x better for 99% of peoples setups)...

As to audiophile - you only have to look at my equipment list to see where my tendencies lie ;)

The point I was making is that you won't get any benefit from 1.3 anyway - it's all in the audio formats, and we're all buying this panel as people who have external systems anyway...

you mean, apart from the Deep Colour xvYCC stuff

you mean, apart from the Deep Colour xvYCC stuff
And when you have source material for it, then it will be an issue.

Deep colour and xvYCC are two distinct ly different things.

Deep colour is for high bit depth pixels. xvYCC is for exetnded gamut colour range. Deep colour has no relevance whatsoever to us at all. Period. Full stop. The current HD resolution has an equivalent 12 bits per pixel, deep colour is for when we start getting greater than 24 bits per pixel. I don't think we'll see any sources able to produce that. Even if we did, and the display could reproduce it (which this panel wouldn't bea ble to) it's unlikely we'd notice much of a difference anyway (there's still loads of headroom in 1.2 specs for depth of colour as it is...).

xvYCC maybe different though. Due to TV land processing, the "standard" colour gamut is limited in values to between 16-235 luminance and 16-240 for each of the chrominance (if I remember correctly). xvYCC extends the range for colours from 1-254 in each of the luminance and 2 chrominance channels. This MAY be useful in the future, but only if you have a source that is capable of producing it. Given that it isn't incorporated into BD spec, than it's unlikely for the moment ;)

IMHO, 1.2 vs 1.3 is just marketing for all intents and purposes.

Hi

Just set up new 50 PF10 to replace my old 42 5 series.
Great HD picture and acceptable SD given size.
I am running Sky HD through Chord Silver plus 1.3 cable
and my old Denon DVD2900 through the RGB BNC plugs.

I am waiting for the new Marantz BD8002 BR DVD player to land
later this year before upgrading DVD.

Not started to play with settings yet but
have noticed that the SET UP OSD is very small
so that you would need to sit close to the screen when
making changes. This is also the case with the zoom
OSD.

Is this the norm with this panel?
Thanks
Scamp

arad85, I never said the new visual features of 1.3 are currently useful, I was just pointing out that 1.3 is about more than just equally pointless (in my view) audio features that you claimed 1.3 was only about.

arad85, I never said the new visual features of 1.3 are currently useful, I was just pointing out that 1.3 is about more than just equally pointless (in my view) audio features that you claimed 1.3 was only about.
Ahh.. Sorry... see where you're coming from. I'd kinda ignored the video bits since the panel itself isn't capable of them anyway...

Hi

Just set up new 50 PF10 to replace my old 42 5 series.
Great HD picture and acceptable SD given size.
I am running Sky HD through Chord Silver plus 1.3 cable
and my old Denon DVD2900 through the RGB BNC plugs.

I am waiting for the new Marantz BD8002 BR DVD player to land
later this year before upgrading DVD.

Not started to play with settings yet but
have noticed that the SET UP OSD is very small
so that you would need to sit close to the screen when
making changes. This is also the case with the zoom
OSD.

Is this the norm with this panel?
Thanks
Scamp

Now you come to mention it, the OSD is quite small in relation to the rest of the panel.

Gazza

Many thanks arad85 & Chris5 for clearing the issues up on HDMI 1.2 Vs 1.3.

So it is looking like 1.3 doesn't really matter at this point in time. Obviously technology is always on the move and things will probably change in the future.

Maybe that will be a little faster now that Bluray is the format on top.

Interesting times ahead.

Kev

Hi guys,

Ive just bought one of these PF10's and it arrives friday.

I have a problem: my plasma is wall hung, I hate cables and buried all mine in the wall, before Hdmi was really a sure thing :( the wife isn't too thrilled at my suggestion to cut open the wall again!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only cables going to the plasma are the pc input and two component cables, am I going to really lose out on PQ with out the HDMI cable? I am looking to get a Blu Ray player (and possibly a VP50 or similar) soon.

Hi Nicklang

If you are planning to get a VP and a Blu-Ray player then I would recommend getting the dual HDMI board.

It is the only board on the PF10 that will accept 24fps playback without any issues. Most current and probably all new blu-ray players would be able to output 24fps for judder-free playback.

Also I believe that some players such as the PS3 can only output 1080p via HDMI and not component.

The PF10 only has one component input. Do you have two component sources? If so, you may need to re-plan the cabling and negotiate with the wife :)

It's a nightmare, I knew I should have put the cable in the wall!!!! as it happens the panel comes with the dual HDMI board in it (AV Sales power buy).

As to the component my amp will switch video, and as I recall componant will only carry upto 1080i.

I suppose my real question is how much PQ difference is there between component 1080i and 1080p HDMI on the PF10?

A HDMI cable would be more futureproof, i'd bite the bullet and open the wall up

:D

I agree, you really need to get a HDMI cable to the panel somehow. It will allow you to get the best possible playback from a blu-ray source.

As in picture differences, I'm not sure. I currently have SkyHD outputting to component and the picture is great. The adjustments on that input are the same as the HDMI, so I'm sure in theory there are no differences.

Gazza

Hi,
From what I can remember it is more of a manufacturer issue to implement copyright protection that most devices will only output 1080i over component.
If you were using a HTPC you can feed 1080p over component without trouble. Component CAN carry the 1080p signal.
In your case it sounds like you will need HDMI anyway.
I would say open up the wall and put some ducting in.

I am wall mounting and have done just that. If i need to go HDMI in the future then I can just take the component cables out and then drop HDMI into the channel.

The picture from component or HDMI at 1080p is the same, you will NOT loose any quality this way and I actually prefer component. It is personal taste really and the advantage of a single cable on HDMI.

Kev

Thanks guys,

I'll have to get a cable in there somehow. I have only just had it plastered and painted!!!:mad:

Just how hard is it to build a PC that gives a great picture over component? I recall there are some driver/configuration issues?
I have built all my pc's for the last ten years so I know my way around a pc, but have never had a Htpc:confused:

Its not to difficult but takes some planning depending on the HTPC's use.

have a read on here

Project HTPC

lots of usefull info on there.

Kev

If I get a VP50 or similar, will it greatly improve the SD from my freeview and my current SD DVD player (Denon 2900)?

Also do people connect HD sources to it, such as Xbox 360 and a BR player (Thinking of the forthcoming Denon)?

Thx

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom