PANASONIC TH-42W4B(silver) & STAND

Blu-rayx

Prominent Member
Reaction score
the best price i've seen, plasma(silver) £4,299/stand £124.
has any one seen a better price?

dvd

Do you really care about the price as much as I think you do. Do yourself a favour pay a little more by going to the right place for the right advice from people who know what they are talking about, then sit back and enjoy the picture and be safe in the knowledge that your hard earned cash has also bought you some worthy back up

dvd, checkout ediscount.co.uk they have the 42 @ £3782. They are authorised panny dealers whom I've spoken. Oh yes, the pedestal stand is £140.
I note they advertise in Total DVD mag. As for reliability of service, this is becoming a moot point as the new Panasonic b models have a swap out warranty service and are dealt with by ANY authorised Panasoic dealer in your area should it fail.
And pay a little more? Why would he, checkout3, considering the price dvd cites is already within and over authorised esellers point. Prudence pointful, scaremonger 'advice' pointless.

AJB, I've sent you 3, or is it 4, messages/emails to get you to spill the latest bargain found without your disclosure. Where?
Cheers

AJB - I appreciated all your hard work when my Panny arrived yesterday from Discount TV on your list. £3400, plus £150 for the stand.

Picture is fantastic using DVD, GC, XBox and PS2 all via component. The only disappointment is that progressive output from XBox and GC (US consoles) results in the set locking into 16:9 mode with only the 'Zoom' option available - you lose the chance to use 4:3, or 'Just' mode which is one of those reasonable stretch compromises.

I have currently switched back to interlaced output from GC and XBox, using 'Just' mode to avoid 4:3 burn-in in the long run. Have calibrated the set with Avia and it looks fantastic, the vibrancy on DVD is awesome!

Anyway, the set is a 'B' model, no dead pixels, was damned cheap (ok, it's relative), and has full 1yr in house warranty. I'm a happy camper.

Oops - forgot to mention that I got the 'Black' industrial model - have a cinema room and wanted dark surround to TV when lights are low. Silver bugs me on my Wega, it reflects the screen edge on bright images...

Originally posted by checkout3
Do you really care about the price as much as I think you do. Do yourself a favour pay a little more by going to the right place for the right advice from people who know what they are talking about, then sit back and enjoy the picture and be safe in the knowledge that your hard earned cash has also bought you some worthy back up

do you think i'm made of money :eek:

thanks but no thanks for your advice :p

dvd

carlb

what 4:3 burn issues are you refering to, i have a us xbox connected via component (with progressive enabled, i think) and have it set on 16:9, and the picture fills the screen on all the games i have tested on it

ten

Ten,

With the Xbox progressive enabled, all games will default to 16:9 even if they do not offer a 16:9 mode (in software). This means very wide, fat cars in Project Gotham for instance. The only games that I have that support 16:9 are DOA3, Amped and Rallisport. Halo, PGR, JSRF, NFL Fever & SIlent Hill 2 do not, so playing them in progressive mode on the Panny locks in 16:9 mode (offering a 'zoom' option which loses lots of the picture), resulting in stretched images.

My solution is that I now run the XBox interlaced and let the panny handle the de-interlacing, this then gives me the full range of options for aspect ratios. In order to avoid having 4:3 sidebars and running the risk of burn-in, I choose the 'just' mode, which keeps the central portion of the image geometrically correct and stretches toward the edges, filling the 16:9 frame for a 4:3 game image. Games that offer a 16:9 mode, I set the mode in software and then select the 16:9 aspect ratio on the set. I feel this offers the best compromise at the moment, until more games start to offer 480p 16:9 modes.

This may not be too clear, have been oncall all week and only had about 6 hours sleep in that time, so ask me again or mail me if you need more info...

carlb

it all makes sense now

is there much difference between interlaced and progressive on the x box

i play all mine stretched, got used to it tbh

ten

Chaps,

I believe I am correct in saying that no one dealer is bound by any law or contract to service anything bought from someone else. If you buy something from somewhere cheap and it goes wrong, most dealers won't think twice about telling you where to go.

checkout3, authorised dealers are obliged to work with Panasonic customers as agents of said. They do not incur costs from dealing with any customers with warrantied products, but charge Panasonic for repairs. In a worst case scenario of no local dealer to you you could still contact Panasonic who would arrange swap out repair service if needed. People don't live in areas until they decide to take a chance or bin equipment do they?!!

Ten,

As the plasma can only display progressive images, I have not noticed any difference between outputting interlaced or progressive from the XBox. It is just a question of which unit handles the conversion from interlaced to progressive - the XBox or the Plasma, and the plasma seems to do a damned fine job and also gives you access to all picture modes.

So for now, I will stick with the consoles outputting interlaced, converted to progressive by the plasma, and use the 'just' screen mode to avoid 4:3 burn-in but still give a reasonablly undistorted image.

Hope that answers your Q's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom