• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH-42PZ85 TH-42PZ80 opinions and advice gratefully accepted please.

V

vwgolfman

I'd be very grateful for as many opinions as possible on this.
Thank you kindly.

I am thinking of purchasing either the Panasonic TH-42PZ85 or TH-42PZ80.

From what I can see the only difference is the Intelligent Frame Creation feature which is present on the PZ85.

1) Is this correct or are there some other differences?

and

2) I have read about lots of PZ85 owners turning off the IFC feature as they claim it is next to useless and in most cases makes the image worse.
Is it true that it makes the image worse?
When I saw these two TV's side by side in the Panasonic shop, both being fed with the same BlueRay source the PZ85 looked SO MUCH better. When something moved across the screen, on the PZ80 you could see it "jump" each frame but on the PZ85 it looked so much smoother. Could they have been "fiddling" the demo disc or the TV's somehow to make the PZ80 look worse or something?

3) If IFC IS the only difference and with the above taken into account is it worth the extra £80 or so for the PZ85?

4) Are there other brands which offer a similar facility to Panasonic's IFC?

Thank you for your time :)

judojoe

Standard Member
i have a 46pz85 i like the ifc

for the looks alone the pz85 is well worth the extra 80

but with some of the special offers around at the mo you can get the 46pz80 for over £300 less tahn the 46pz85 now sure if its worth this much more

the 85 is a lot sexer though!

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
Both the PZ85 and PZ80 handle 1080p/24 perfectly (with IFC turned off) with no judder at all so I wouldn't worry about that.

I would say the main reasons to get the PZ85 over the PZ80 is that the PZ85 looks better and has the third HDMI round the back rather than at the front like the PZ80.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom