Panasonic th-42pz70 picture problem

Lorri

Standard Member
Hi there

I have the TH-42PZ70 and have a real issue with the white being very dull and yellow.

I have adjusted the picture to all of the settings as advised in the owners thread but it makes no difference.

I wondered if there are any suggestions as to what this could be?

Many thanks!

Lorri

Standard Member
Sorry to bump this up but having been home over Christmas and seeing more of the TV than normal, it's really getting on my nerves now!
I hope that I explain the issue properly - the whites are really cloudy and yellow tinged, for instance the CH4 main page is not bright white at all. I've adjusted the settings using the ones suggested and it's still the same, an adjustment of brightness/contrast does not alter the yellowness it just distorts facial colours.
I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions!

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Sorry to bump this up but having been home over Christmas and seeing more of the TV than normal, it's really getting on my nerves now!
I hope that I explain the issue properly - the whites are really cloudy and yellow tinged, for instance the CH4 main page is not bright white at all. I've adjusted the settings using the ones suggested and it's still the same, an adjustment of brightness/contrast does not alter the yellowness it just distorts facial colours.
I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions!

What settings are you using mate and what have you got hooked up to it?:)

Lorri

Standard Member
Hi

I have it set as in the post here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plas...2-50pz70-owners-thread-part-1-a-168.html#2520

Viewing Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 60% (40 clicks)
Brightness: 40% (24 clicks)
Colour: 55% (32 clicks)
Sharpness: 50% (3 clicks)
Colour Balance: Normal
Colour Management: Off
P-NR: Off
Overscan: Off

I've twiddled and tweaked in the other modes and it doesn't get any better. Dynamic is the only mode which gives any bright white, but then facial tones and sharpness are lost, if that makes sense. If I change the colour to cool rather than normal, it's slightly better, but still a yellow tone to most things.

I have a Panasonic DVD and SKYHD attached. On HDMI2 (DVD) it's slightly better, but not a great deal. For instance I am fiddling with it now, watching Cranford in HD and the characters all look as though they have a liver problem.

I really appreciate your help. I really don't want to throw the towel in and buy a new TV but it's getting to that stage! I went to a mate's house last night to watch the football, who has a Toshiba LCD, and the difference is remarkable. The SKY planner on mine is dull and lifeless, his is bright white, sharp and crystal clear.

BYF

Tv's are for displaying moving cinema/broadcast images not sky menu's.

Correctly calibrated TV's/Cameras have white set at D65 (6500k) standards which is slightly off white with a slight yellow tinge to represent northern europe midday sun, this is correct.

It does take time to get use to this if you are use to an overly blue picture which most TV's are set too. Many people try and make there TV look like a PC monitor and computerized rather than a natural image like looking out of a window.

You could try and set the Colour balance to Cool to make the colours less yellow, but then they won't be so accurate then but if that's what you prefer then so be it.

The other issue could be someone could have screwed around in the service menu and messed up all your colour balance presets, is the TV new or used?

badkarma

It does take time to get use to this if you are use to an overly blue picture which most TV's are set too. Many people try and make there TV look like a PC monitor and computerized rather than a natural image like looking out of a window.
Yes, this is what I was thinking, it took me a good while to get used to this, found it very yellow at first but when you see something that should be white then it all makes sense e.g. white writing on a footballers shirt looks proper real life white on my display but not the same white as say the Sky planner.

If you change it to Normal mode and Cool it should look a good bit 'whiter' but will not be as accurate.

Lorri

Standard Member
Hi

The TV was brand new when I got it earlier this year and the service menu remains untouched. I totally understand what you are saying about the sky menu, I was purely using that as an example that the picture is muggy yellow on all viewing modes.

Using the suggested settings that I posted before and changing the colour mode to cool rather than normal makes very little difference, all facial tones are not clear or defined, they are just a nasty tone of yellow/orange, whatever I am watching, DVD, HD or normal SKY.

If you agree that I have the settings as they should be, then I am at a loss as to what to change really. It really isn't a personal preference thing or what I am used to on other sets, it's a significant colour difference in skin tones.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Have you tried setting it up with the THX optimizer available on some DVDs rather than using the settings posted in the thread you linked to to see if it makes any difference?

Might be worth a go.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom