• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH-42PZ70 goes blank when watching sky hd

CJSIMPSON

I have a panasonic TH-42PZ70 connected to a sky hd box via hdmi and it keeps going to a black screen and no sound as though the signal is lost, I then scroll through the inputs on the tv - AV3 back to HDMI for example and its fine.
There doesnt seem to be any reason for it and doesnt seem any worse on any particular channel (Ive notices it on sky sports HD but thats mostly what I watch) the wife has noticed it on playback and live tv.
When it does go black if I have the telly on upstairs (fed from rf2) it shows an error about the display not being HDCP compatible or something to that effect.

Has anyone any ideas as this is really annoying? It might not do it for a week or so then it will happen loads.

I think it may have also done it when playing my ps3 on it but not too sure as i havent been on it much recently.

nutter2k7

Standard Member
CJSIMPSON,

I have had this exact problem in the past. I believed it to be a SKY issue and had them replace the HD box. This appeared to solve the issue but the other night for the first time in months I got the black screen. Select another input and go back to the HDMI and all is fine.

When I spoke to SKY about it before they exchanged the box the guy said that there are some issues with HDCP and some HDTV's. Apparantly Pioneers have the most problems he said.

If it keeps doing it I suggest getting the box exchanged if you can.

For info my first box was a Samsung and they replaced it with a Thomson.

Hope you get it sorted as it wound me up no end!

Good Luck

Nutter 2k7

Last edited:

CJSIMPSON

Thats different from my problem, the problems they describe are going blank when watching different inputs. My problem is that the picture goes blank and sound goes off when Im watching sky itself.

Any ideas anyone?

Kev12

When I spoke to SKY about it before they exchanged the box the guy said that there are some issues with HDCP and some HDTV's. Apparantly Pioneers have the most problems he said.

Pioneers USED to be problematic with SKY HD, but that was on the 6th gen screens and earlier, for which Pioneer had a FOC out of warranty fix.
The 7G onwards are fine.

OP, I'd maybe try another HDMI cable.

jc33

Standard Member
Thats different from my problem, the problems they describe are going blank when watching different inputs. My problem is that the picture goes blank and sound goes off when Im watching sky itself.

Any ideas anyone?

I can't help but I have exactly the same problem as you.

I've just got a new Denon 1910 amp and initially thought that the problem was due to a faulty HDMI output on it, as the picture just suddenly disappeared. But when I connected the Sky HD box directly back through the same cable to the TV it was OK, so I thought it was the amp.

But it is now happening with the sky box too. The sky box was connected directly for 2 years with no problems as was the amp for 2 days. It's all very strange.

CJSIMPSON

I still havent found a sloution to this and it is really annoying now, I watched something on sky the ohter night and it did it about 10 times during an hour show.

Please can anyone help with this issue?

It has done it when playing PS3 a few times but does seem worse on sky, not that it makes a difference as it shouldnt happen at all.

jc33

Standard Member
Same here, it happened 5 times in the space of half an hour last night and then was OK for a while.

This shouldn't be happening to a TV that's only 2 years old.

Can anyone suggest a fix? :lease:

Last edited:

w3dal

Distinguished Member
my pioneer screen does this and thats even after the HDCP fix.

Doesnt do it on component tho or my PS3 which is why i believe it to be my Sky HD box.

can be fine for hours and then the picture goes and the input selector flashes. flick to av4 then back to HDMI and all is well.

very strange

Dal

CJSIMPSON

I cant believe there are so many issues with this and no fix from the manufacturers.

I have searched for a solution and cant find any.

stevo1961

This is really starting to get on my nerves. Its even happening when we have the plasma switched off. I get up in the morning and turn on the plasma and have to go through the whole rigmarole of changing the input to 3 and then back to 4. On occasion I've even had to turn the Sky HD box off at the mains before it works. I have the Samsung box straight to the plasma via hdmi input 4 and optical to the receiver which runs through input 3. I never have this problem when using the PS3,Wii or anything else. I've tried swapping over the hdmi cables and inputs and its just a reversal of events. The sky box is still under warranty so I'm tempted to phone Sky when I have a spare 6 hours to hang on the end of a phone. By the way! the plasma is a 2 year old Pioneer.

Steve.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom