• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH-42PX8B - Is this a good offer?

kingofnothin

Standard Member
My dad pointed out an offer on a TH-42PX8B for 517 quid with a 5 year warranty from Costco.

I've done a bit of research, but he was thinking of picking it up in a couple of days so I thought I'd come here for general opinion. I realise that this panel isn't exactly at the cutting edge of technology but its only going to be used for SD (Sky and the built in Freeview along with a DVD player) with a slim chance of Sky HD in the future.

So my question is, with the price and warranty in mind is this a good offer? Or is there an equally good set with a 5year warranty that he should consider?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :D

sibeer

The TH-42PX80 is better, but it will cost you an extra £100 and you would be missing out on what is probably the best warranty in the country. At costco they give full refunds for faults with no questions or faff. As such if your TV breaks at 2 years old (as has just happened to a 2nd hand LCD I bought recently, unfortunately not originally from Costco) you would just take it back to them, explain the fault and get your cash back in full. For fast moving technology like TV's this really takes the misery out of a faulty one as you can bet the new TV you can buy with that cash will be leaps and bounds better than the old one. For instance the 37" LCD that has failed on me cost £1179, that would be a 46" 1080P Sony now :thumbsup:

J

JDM121

The TH-42PX80 is better, but it will cost you an extra £100 and you would be missing out on what is probably the best warranty in the country. At costco they give full refunds for faults with no questions or faff. As such if your TV breaks at 2 years old (as has just happened to a 2nd hand LCD I bought recently, unfortunately not originally from Costco) you would just take it back to them, explain the fault and get your cash back in full. For fast moving technology like TV's this really takes the misery out of a faulty one as you can bet the new TV you can buy with that cash will be leaps and bounds better than the old one. For instance the 37" LCD that has failed on me cost £1179, that would be a 46" 1080P Sony now :thumbsup:

Isn't that fraud?

sibeer

Isn't that fraud?

Which bit?

I am not talking about purposely breaking TV's here, just explaining that I one goes wrong you are miles better off if it came from Costco than any other retailer. Unfortunately there are people who do take advantage of Costco's good service, but that is a different matter and was definitely not what I was suggesting :rolleyes:

kingofnothin

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice everyone (I've been at uni all day so I haven't had any PC access :() , my dad said the same thing about Costcos return policy (Although I didn't have fraud in mind :rolleyes:) and I think that maybe outweighs the improvement in specs that I managed to find but saying that I don't know much about Plasmas, so maybe it is??? (if you could explain in terms of an LCD that would help!)

Thanks to everyone!

rewerb

Go for it (PX8). The best I've seen for the 42PX80 is £619 with 3yr guarantee or £660 with 5 yrs.

Last edited:

audiphile76

I dont even know why PX8 is there at 42" when PX80 is so closely placed in terms of price. I can imagine going for 50PX8 since there is no 50PX80.

Yes! Go for 42PX80 instead. Its a steal at this price :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kingofnothin

Standard Member
Went to the store the other day and has wasn't that impressed by it! I told him to go somewhere where they actually set stuff up properly, out of the box settings on SD isn't going to look good on any TV. But I spotted the PZ80 on the John Lewis website for 750! Thats 1080p, and I'd imagine its got much better image processing capabilities?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom