Panasonic TH-42PX60B for £360

perleman

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have the oportunity to buy a legal, new boxed Panasonic TH-42PX60B (2006 model) for £360. I currently have a Hyundai 42" plasma that's about 3 years old & the picture is rubbish, especially on DVDs and close-ups of faces etc.

Will the Panasonic be a substantial improvement? On a recent trip to John Lewis I compared a 42" Pioneer at £1800 to a Samsung for £700 and couldn't see much difference to be honest.

Also, what is the failure rate like - should I buy the 5 year warranty?

eas4uk

42PX60s are great IMO and will be an improvement over the hyundai - how significant is for you to judge really

Just pray you dont get the infamous "purple snakes" syndrome :)

I would deffo do that upgrade if £360 is your budget

Kevstir

defo worth it at that price m8

FullFat

Just backing up the above posters. I have one of these and the picture quality is simply superb especially with SD sky.

perleman

Standard Member
OK so I'm feeling confident-ish about the picture quality but now I'm worried about snakes!

Is the purple snakes issue covered under warranty?
Is it treatable with firmware update?
Does it take some months to emerge?
What is the view in this forum on taking the 5 year warranty? One way of looking at it is that with electronics in terminal price decline, in 2-3 years the replacement cost of a decent 42" plasma might only be £400-£500

eas4uk

I believe that Panasonic, were in some instances, changing a part/board to try and rectify the snakes

This did not always rectify the problem however, some people then waited and got it changed to a PX70

I did notice snakes on my PX60 on 'some' SD sky feeds and low bitrate dvds

Although I am a fussy git, I soon forgot about them and very rarely see them any more. I have yet to see them on a HD feed.

Seriously, for the money, you will not find anything better than the PX60.
Snakes or not.

Go for it, you wont regret it

-----------------------------

Is the purple snakes issue covered under warranty? It was, not sure anymore
Is it treatable with firmware update? Dont think so
Does it take some months to emerge? No, mine was there from day one
What is the view in this forum on taking the 5 year warranty? One way of looking at it is that with electronics in terminal price decline, in 2-3 years the replacement cost of a decent 42" plasma might only be £400-£500 - Yes but you will get like for like under warranty as far as I know

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom