Panasonic TH-42PWD6 questions

D

diabolik

Im thinking about getting one of these and wondered if anyone can answer the questions below:

Does the scart board employ auto 4:3 16:9 format correction so that I dont have to wear out my remote changing it back and for watching the output from my digital box.

Is it possible to have a component input card and scart input card installed at the same time?

Thanks for reading...

:smashin:

yes for both

scart board gives noticeably worse picture quality compared to component board or vga. and autoswitch is the only redeeming feature.

Thanks for that. I think Ill put my dvd on the component card and use the vga for my digibox, maybe using an inline aspect switching device.

I'm now wondering whether the screen will switch aspect ratios unexpectedly when Im watching dvd through the component input because the digibox is connected to the vga input, powered on and sending out aspect information to my aspect switching device.

Any ideas?

Does this unit come with built in speakers?

No, it doesn't have built in speakers.

It does have connections for 2 external speakers.

Mark

Originally posted by diabolik
Thanks for that. I think Ill put my dvd on the component card and use the vga for my digibox, maybe using an inline aspect switching device.

I'm now wondering whether the screen will switch aspect ratios unexpectedly when Im watching dvd through the component input because the digibox is connected to the vga input, powered on and sending out aspect information to my aspect switching device.

Any ideas?

The screen will not automatically switch aspect ratios via the component input.

The only time the screen will switch ratios is when the SCART board is used (and the picure quality is more than acceptable by the way) and the screen aspect mode is set to Panasonic Auto. This mode is not available when using the component input.

However, if you have an external aspect switcher which is linked to the digibox, then, yes, the screen will wich to whatever ratio the digibox tells is to. surely the answer is to put the digibox into standby mode when watching a dvd, or leave it on a channel that is always 16:9, such as BBC News 24.

I've got Sky connected via the RGB to Plama VGA unit at the moment (often swap round with Component converter). Very rarely do I change the aspect ratio from 16:9. Essentially, you get used to having the screen filled, and changing back to 4:3 you feel cheated and have to fill the screen again!

There's an option called "Just" mode which takes a 4:3 image and pulls the sides out to fill the screen. It does an ok job, but it's a bit weird watching panning shots. So I watch everything in 16:9.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

John

What cabling are you using to connect the Sky box RGB out to the VGA port of the PAnny?

I have a sKy+ V2 box & will be buying a Panny PW6 shortly & need to decide which terminal boards & cabling I will need to buy to get the best picture quality

Many thanks for your help

I will hopefully get one of these, is lip sync an issue with the kit I use ? Hopefully not as I will not be allowed an upgrade on that as well !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom