Panasonic TH-42PWD6 - Looking for cards & advice !

ndoherty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Before I start – please note that I am a complete newbie – so apologies for dumb questions!

I have an old Panasonic TH-42PWD6 which just the PC input. I don't have any cards in any of the slots at all.

I would like to use the TV with standard Sky (cable) box or a HD box – and connect DVD player etc.. So I am looking for recommendations on cards/blades I need. Cost is a factor here – it’s an old TV and there is not a lot of point paying few hundred for parts.

FYI I am based in Ireland. Anyone know if Panasonic will ship parts to Ireland / UK – or if there is a UK parts company I should contact?

Firstly how do I know which plasma “series” I have, as I see that newer boards cannot retrofit into previous plasma series. I assume the WD6 – refers to series 6? I ask because I seen a post where they say that all models in the 6-7-8-9 series were 720p models. And so there is no advantage in picture quality in going digital vs. component for non-1080p models. Is this correct?

COMPONENT:
Can I use the component RCA board input - for either sky box or dvd – not exactly sure what connections are on this?

Again I have seen posts mention : BNC Component Video Terminal Board, a RCA Component Video Terminal Board or a Composite / Component Video Terminal Board? Which do I need and where would you recommend I get these?
Anyone got a part number that is compatible for my model –or where I can check this? Panasonic's online model search didn't recognize my model ??

I have seen recommendations for this device – HDfury HDfury. From what I see it connects to RGB display and then performs HDCP decryption and HDMI to RGB conversion.
Can I use this – any limits or recommendations?
Do I just connect this to a component input?

HDMI:
Some users have recommended HDMi cards/blades – part model TY-FB8HM.
Is there any benefit in using these (if there is no picture quality advantage based on comment above) – or would it still help just for connecting some newer devices to the TV?

Some posts have said that the TY-FB8HM was/ is discontinued ... ask for part #TXNHA10ZYS instead. But when I check online Parts Ordering I only see the TY-FB8HM - but I can’t order it online :(
Anyone got experience on this or other suggestions?

DVI:
Similarly I have read that to get real HD, the DVI board is the best option, with an HDMI-DVI cable, that it will accept 1080i at 60Hz from games consoles and BR discs.
But equally I have read that Xbox (and maybe other devices) do not like the conversion from HDMI to DVI, and would only work at a resolution of 1280x720, once it detected the input as a DVI conversion ???

The TY-42TM6D DVI terminal board is listed as available Parts Ordering . But I think has to be ordered by phone – when I try verify availability online nothing happens.

Is the DVI video only? If so what do I do about audio – any suggestions – or do I need to purchase surround sound :)

Is DVI input Sky(cable) HD compatible, - in previous thread (few years ago) they said that it does not accept 50Hz signals at HD resolutions. So won't work with HDMi-DMI conversion?

Finally If I want to connect a few devices eg. DVD, Sky (cable box), should I get few different cards e.g. Component+HDMI – or would you recommend 1 card and some type of hub/switch .

As I said all basic questions – hopefully someone out there can help!

Thanks

Hi, I had a PW7, so your correct in assuming it's a 6 series. I can only give you advice based upon what I did on my own. I had a component BNC board and connected Sky + (old boxes not HD) via a scart to YUV component converter (JS-Technology). You can or could also use a scart to VGA converter (same company do them) and use the RGB VGA input in to the PW6. If you use an amp, you could input all of your connections (Sky & DVD) in to the amp and use the monitor out component output in to your PW6 component board.

I also remember that in the case of the 7 series, the HDMI board had some issues but cant remember what!

Last edited:
Thanks Pugs

Did your TV come with the Component BNC board - or did you purchase separate? When you mention an "amp" is there a specific product you can recommend? I would still have to purchase a component board to use amp or YUV convertor - you know of any reputable UK suppliers?

I guess in my case I can use the scart to VGA converter and use my existing PC input (RGB VGA). Any pros or cons versus the YUV in terms of picture quality? What about Audio when using the scart to VGA?

Thanks

Neil

I have a TH42PW6 that I've been using since 2003. And another I bought on eBay as a TV for the shed in a moment of weakness.

Some info and comments based on my experience:

I have used the VGA (PC) input, the component board, the DVI board, the scart board and an HDFury HDMI to VGA adaptor into the VGA input.
All boards are expensive new compared to the market value of the monitor. I suggest you source secondhand either in AVForums very own classifieds or eBay.

Single slot boards
TY-42TM6D - DVI board + 3.5mm audio jack
TY-42TM6A - Component board, BNC connectors + 2 RCA for audio L+R
TY-42TM6Z - Component board, RCA connectors + 2 RCA for audio
TY-42TM6B - Composite (BNC) and S-video + 2 RCA for audio
TY-42TM6V - Composite (RCA) and S-video + 2 RCA for audio
TY-42TM6P - additional VGA input.

TY-42TM6Y - 2 slot board, 5 BNC for RGB or component in, BNC composite, S-video, 2 RCA for audio

There is no functional difference between BNC or RCA boards but the BNC connectors may be less likely to loosen over time (the cable will be hanging vertically beneath the monitor)

IN USE:
The composite feed looks dreadful.

The scart board (sorry I don't have the part number) picture looks nowhere near as good as VGA or component. There is noise and less contrast compared to component/VGA. however it is th eonly input that supports auto aspect switching from 16:9 to 4:3.

The simplest way to connect a DVD player with component out is using a component to VGA cable. The VGA input accepts either RGB or component signals and produces a great picture.

A source with no component out presents further problems. Like Pugs1 I use scart out from a sky HD box to a JS Tech RGB scart to component converter into a component board in the plasma. The PQ is very good like this and very comparable to the direct component in.

There is a discernible difference between HD and SD TV channels from Sky fed via the component input. It is not dramatic but is appreciable.

I also have a blu-ray player - the difference between blu-ray and DVD is quite noticeable even on this low-res (852x480) display. Initially I used this outputting 1080i via component then bought an HDFury device to allow me to feed a 1080p signal into the VGA input. I have abandoned the HDFury/HDMI path because there is little visible difference to 1080i over component and every time the player's menu is accessed, there is a change of resolution which manifests as a second or two of interference pattern whilst the HDFury figures out what is happening - very irritating.

The DVI board is a bit of a pain. It will take a 720p and 1080i but not 1080p signal. I have only tried it with a computer as source and despite the extra degree of gradation supposedly availabe, I can see no difference to the VGA in.

I suggest you try to find a component to VGA cable to go straight into the VGA input or if you have a source with only scart out, one of the excellent JS Technology RGB scart to component convertor boxes. Two sources means either adding a component or VGA input board or some sort of switching of sources with a scart switcher or an AV receiver feeding just one connection to the plasma.

I think what SMCC said is the best. Use the panels VGA input as it could spiral with costs. I'm not sure you can even buy an amp with component monitor out (probably all HDMI out) anymore. I used a Denon DHT550 for this purpose. I purchased my PW7 with a component board. If you can source one then it may be worthwhile purchasing and use both that and the VGA input.

Regarding audio, you have to get either external speakers (they used to have ones that would slot on to the panel sides) or go through an amp. Didn't the panel have audio inputs and outputs for external speakers, sure it did

Both VGA and component were well regarded for picture quality on these panels, so no real difference

Last edited:
Thanks a million SMCC - that helped clear up a lot of questions :clap:

So as per your (and Pugs1) recommendation I will use my VGA input and look for a component board.
Doesn't seem to be any boards advertised here - but there are a few on ebay.

Quick question - just on board models. The following are available on ebay:

TY-42TM6A (which you list)
TY-42TM6YB (what is the significance of the B?)
TY-42TM6AB (what is the significance of the B?)

Would you recommend I go for the TY-42TM6YB ? I assume its the same as TY-42TM6A but with few extra inputs. Any issues I should be aware of if fitting a 2 slot board?

Thanks again guys for all your help.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

The following are available on ebay:

TY-42TM6A (which you list)
TY-42TM6YB (what is the significance of the B?)
TY-42TM6AB (what is the significance of the B?)

Would you recommend I go for the TY-42TM6YB ? I assume its the same as TY-42TM6A but with few extra inputs. Any issues I should be aware of if fitting a 2 slot board?

Thanks again guys for all your help.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

The attached file is from the original 6 series catalogue.
I don't know what the B indicates with the TY-42TM6YB or AB boards.
The only downside to the 2 slot board is it takes up 2 slots! and you're getting composite and S-video inputs that you probably won't use. I'd go for a cheapy component board.

Of course you can hook up one source straight away via the VGA if you get a component to VGA cable and have a DVD or sky box with component out on the back.

Do you have speakers - there are none built in to the monitor.

Attachments

• boards.jpg
    boards.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,334
Thanks

Surprisingly there wasn't a lot of difference in price between the TY-42TM6YB and straight component. So I may just get the 2 slot.

I have bought the JS RGB->VGA converter - but probably be a week before I get it. Might see if I can pick up component->VGA oat the weekend.

No I don't have speakers. Any cost effective recommendations there :)

Thanks again for your help.

Neil

Does the '6' not take component via VGA ?

Yes it does - either component or RGB can be input via VGA with the appropriate cable.

Just found the component board docs, i was using a TY-42TM6A board.

Good morning,

I also have a TH42PWD6, and until now have been using a PC with a video card that has video in and out.

The time has come to get rid of the PC, so I am also looking for a similar solution.

The only input I will be using for now is a Freeview stb, which has phono outputs on the back - Red, White and Yellow (presumably Left & Right audio and Video).

Can anyone suggest a cable that will go straight from the stb video output to the vga socket on the Plasma? If one exists will I need to change any settings on the Plasma?

Many thanks in advance

Martin

Hi,

Ok bit of an update and of course some more questions.

I picked up the JS Scart RGB->VGA converter. Works good for DVD player. But for some reason when I connected the Sky+ Box - no signal was output?? Any one seen this happen before or have any suggestions? Are there any setting I needed to change in the Sky box - I am assuming that it outputs RGB via scart?

I also have picked up a TY - 42TM6Y board. So based on previous posts/recommendations I intend to use the RGB BNC connections. But what cable do I use for these?

I assumed I would be using the component outputs from the Sky/DVD etc.. - but I didn't see any cables online - which have 3 pins component at one side and BNC on the other.
Am I completely off the mark here???

As always any help much appreciated.

Ensure your Sky box is outputting RGB and not just composite !

The board you have bought (link) inputs RGB via five connectors, the Scart connection uses four of those (RGB + SYNC) so you need a Scart -> RGB+S cable (+ BNC adapters in that example linked to) or a Scart -> RGBS adapter - plus intervening cable(s). You'd have been better served by acquiring the Scart board and benefitting from auto widescreen switching and the more straightforward cable choice (scart -> scart) plus saving a slot on your monitor.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Wow - the cable is expensive! But I guess I don't have a lot of choice now.
I do have an RGB scart adaptor - but not with the Sync input. I assume that for Plasma TV that the sync is required? Let me know.

In relation to the scart board I was advised by previous post that the scart board picture looks nowhere near as good as VGA or component (see earlier thread). Also I didn't realise that I would need all 5 BNC connections for single scart. Oh well - you live and learn I guess :-(

It looks like the Scart -> RGBs adapter + phono cables are probably cheaper than the single cable - and I might make some use of the phono cables again in the future :)

If anyone has an old / unused Scart to RGBS Cable that they wish to sell cheap please PM me :)

Thanks again for advice.

A suggestion, the DVI board installed in one of these panels makes wonders to the picture clarity compared to running RGBHV or YUV to the Panasonic.

I used to run RGBHV for years but came over a DVI board a year ago and haven't looked back, it was like a new plasma with a new picture, it really made a difference, text was clearer and more refined.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom