1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PWD5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by llcooljazz, Mar 24, 2003.

1. llcooljazz

llcooljazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i want one of thses, but from what I've read t doesnt have all the inputs comapred to TH-42PWD5B. So i was wondering would it be possible to connect to it a DVD (S-Video or RGB scart d[pending which gives better pic), SKY and PS2 (by RGB scart). I know i need conectors from www.rgbtosvideo.com, but which ones, and will i still get colour with NTSC signals.

The terminals with it are:
    TERMINALS
    Video Composite Input BNC coaxial x 1, 1 Vp-p/75 ohms (RCA adapter supplied)
    S-Video Input 4-pin S terminal x 1, Y: 1 Vp-p/75 ohms, C: 0.286 Vp-p/75 ohms
    Audio Input (for Video) RCA phono type connectors (L,R) (1 set)
    RGB Input (PC) D-sub 15-pin x 1 (VGA display & SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA compressed display)
    fH: 15.6 - 110 kHz; fV: 48- 120 Hz
    Audio Input (for PC) M3 stereo plug
    Component/R,G,B Input BNC coaxial x 5 (R,G,B, H drive & V drive)
    RGB, HD, VD Video: 0.7 Vp-p/75 ohms
    Sync: TTL level/0.3 Vp-p (75 ohms)
    H, V Separate Sync/Composite Sync
    fH: 15.6 - 110 kHz; fV : 24- 120 Hz
    Y, Pb & Pr Y: 1 Vp-p/75 ohms w/sync,
    0.7 Vp-p/75 ohms video only
    Pb/Pr : 0.7 Vp-p/75 ohms
    fH: 15.75/31.5/33.7/45 kHz
    Audio Input 0.5 Vrms high impedance RCA phono x 2 (L,R)
    Serial (RS232C) Mini D-Sub 9-pin

Help is reallllllly appreciated, and its a lot of money to spend (£2650), without knowing too much about it.

2. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comparing the BNC board to the RCA board they both have the same connections, but the BNC board has a composite out too.

Connect RGB Scart via

RGB to component convertor.
    or
    RGB to VGA
    If your DVD does component video out, go direct to the display with that.

I've gone for option 1, but it's up to you as to which you'd prefer.

Get a decent set of cables made up for the component signals, and use a good scart to the convertor, no use scrimping on the cables.

Will you get colour with NTSC?

Yes, it will support NTSC/PAL/SECAM/PAL 60/M-NTSC. (straight from the brochure)

3. llcooljazz

llcooljazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate, I've just got a few questions
    1) Do you have this creen, if so do you recomend it?
    2) What component video out? :eek:
    3) Is there enough connections in the plasma, for Sky, PS2 and DVD?

4. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My screen is being delivered tomorrow (tuesday). Took a long time choosing before buying it, but what suits one person is not right for another. Go take a look at one, then buy as cheaply as you can.(don't forget delivery, stands/mounts etc).

component video out is a method of connecting device to display, similar to RGB, but not the same. Typically if your device supports it you'll have 3 phonos marked component video and coloured red / green / blue on the back.

Are there enough connections?

That depends. All my kit goes through amps / switches before going to the display, so there's plenty of connections for me.

From what you have listed, if you don't have an amp and no conponent out from the DVD, I'd consider a quintro scart switcher feeding the RGB to Component convertor in turn connected to the plasma via component cables.

Quintro switcher is part no BT945 at www.keene.co.uk (£80 and does 5 scarts)

5. llcooljazz

llcooljazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much appreciated mate, and just in time, as I'm going look to plasma tomorrow, thanks again.

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    llcooljazz,
    seems that Jason has pointed you in the right direction.

RGB to Plasma VGA unit will use the PC type input, keeping all other inputs free for future use, but doesn't allow for the "just" zoom mode.

The RGB to Component converter does give you "Just" zoom mode, but if you wanted to add a progressive scan DVD player you'd want to use this input too, so you'd need a amp which could switch component.

As for picture quality, both are very similar but Plasma VGA has it by a whisker.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.