Panasonic TH-42PWD4 Plasma Noise Problem!

sharper - mine's on a plinth, it buzzes.

nickt - agree with you about the contrast thingy, it was discussed earlier in the thread.

Glenn - like the soft furnishings idea! Mine's in the corner too, and I'm waiting for a curtain to cover a window to the right of the plasma. Hope it will help some.

Glenn in order to answer your own question (at least to a degree), is it possible that you could temporarily move the plasma panel away from the corner and away from the walls.

If that resolves or reduces the issue, then how about trying to incrementaly move the Panel closer and closer to you desired location to test how much difference it makes in reality?

I know it's a pain...god do I know dealing with moving AV equipment is a pain......but a £3500+ investment deserves a little time spent "getting it right"if only just to keep the missus happy when she notices you have spent all yer money on a TV! :blush:

Hi Kirk,
I was just thinking of doing that! :)

I don't have a lot of space though, plasma is only 8feet away as it is! But I'll try that out as soon as I get a chance.

After reading the Panasonic plasma FAQ, it looks like the sound comes from the power supply so 'dirty' mains feed might be the cause of the problem. I'm intending to try it on a different ring main!

Has the person who was going to try the UPS with had chance to do it?

I'll keep you all posted on what I find out

Glenn.

Some very unscientific tests yesterday evening with a towel (!) seemed to indicate to me that a lot of noise gets reflected from the wall (my panel is wall mounted). I guess if it was on a stand it would have the chance to dissipate to the rear.

Has anyone tried putting any sound deadening on the wall behind the panel? Suggestions as to what would abosorb the sound the best (e.g. cork, carpet tile, flock wallpaper ;-) without
a) being too thick to muck up the air flow
b) catching fire

Perhaps this is a dumb idea (wouldn't be the first time...)

Thanks nickt, good work there! Now I wonder if my wife will go for the fashionable "egg boxes glued to the wall" approach :D

Glenn

Sorry to hear you've got problems after all the excitement of getting one !!

Not sure it helps but my 42 black 'seems' to be v. quiet (although the howl from the HD in the sky+ box does drown out anything ... but thats another thread !!) ...

FWIW I have used a UPS from the start ... figured with £10k of kit the least I could do was to give it a decent power supply ... plus its got battery backup for an hour so I have the sky+ on that just incase ... its from belkin, has a insurance policy attached and was well worth the miniscule (by comparison) £75 ;-)

oh and btw it's stand mounted about 9 inches off the wall with no soft furnishings around (yet)

Jon

Originally posted by nickt
Some very unscientific tests yesterday evening with a towel (!) seemed to indicate to me that a lot of noise gets reflected from the wall (my panel is wall mounted). I guess if it was on a stand it would have the chance to dissipate to the rear.

Has anyone tried putting any sound deadening on the wall behind the panel? Suggestions as to what would abosorb the sound the best (e.g. cork, carpet tile, flock wallpaper ;-) without
a) being too thick to muck up the air flow
b) catching fire

Perhaps this is a dumb idea (wouldn't be the first time...)

I actually bought a couple of recording studio 'sound soak' tiles - made a tiny difference, but not much. I can still hear the buzzing.

How about sticking some Sound Deadening material onto the inside face of the Wall Mount bracket? (The side of the bracket that faces the rear of the Plasma panel)

I am not sure where to get the material or how much it costs, but it may help?

It is at least an excuse to use double sided sticky tape.....anyway got to go...Blue Peter is on! :D

I tried the UPS last night and it didn't make any difference :( :(

Incidently mine's on a plinth, with the rear facing a window/curtains, and the top few inches of a radiator (which could be reflecting some sound I admit).

Thanks MartinN,
I was going to bring a UPS home tonight but wont bother.

My parents both can't hear the noise though! Guess hearing started going! ;)

Will live with it over the weekend and might even move location to test out sound reflection theory!

If not, might be time to get it changed again! :(

Dear Mr Browell
re the buzzing you have , and the information from the forums you are correct on the ealier batch of the plasmas but not on your version as it was corrected quite a time b4, as with all plasmas they do suffer from this problem, mine is a pioneer 50 inch and it has the issues as well, and my seating is 10 feet away also, so nothing out of the normal for these units.

best regards karl king

Ps Also if you would like to call panasonic direct please feel free for a second opion on what i have informed you on.

OK, now do I bother getting Panasonic out? As it stands at the moment I think the noise is *unnacceptably* intrusive. Will I get a refund if necessary?

I'm going to wait and see what occurs when CarlB gets his one back from Panasonic (somewhere on page 2 of this thread I think).

I don't mind sending mine in for a fix just as long as it works.

No amount of sound deadening is going to help me, short of removing all the air in the room. What a bleedin' pain! What with this and my FS2's sub humming away in the corner I think I'm cursed. :D

At least with the sub I can cycle the power to stop the hum.

Great info all.

Just watched an entire season of Buffy on mine (sad I know :) ). Didn't notice the buzzing too much but when I did, I couldn't help hearing for quite a while! :(

I will be very interested to see what CarlB finds when he gets his back. It seams that it may have depended on the person who tested it being 'able' to hear the buzzing, as it seams not everyones hearing will pick it up!

There's also another interesting thread on the forum about a lip sync problem with panny plasma's!! Mine is defenately fine!

Nayway, lets hope we all get a good resolution to our problems.

Glenn.

I have just had fitted a 50 inch screen and i would not call it silent operation and the fans fitted if they are fans are a bit annoying I also know from having fans and coolers in amps they tend to wear out and suddenly im worried about maintenance costs . Is there supposed to be a fan in there anyone? .

The noise itself im getting used to but its far from silent.

There is a fan in the 50" Panasonic but not the 42" panel. That is for the model 4's anyway. In the new model 5's there is a fan in the 42" HD set but not SD.

Looking back through this thread, it seems that only 2 people have actually had either a replacement or a loan in lieu of one :-
Nike - replacement made the same noise
CarlB - loan unit the made the same noise

So, another explanation is that they all make a noise and we all perceive it differently. I certainly notice the sound less now after a week. One question I woulde love to see answered is this

"Has anybody had a noisy Panasonic repaired or replaced and had the problem resolved?"

If they have, I will probably try to get a replacement too, but I currently have no evidence that this is a fixable problem.

Hi nickt,
I have to admit that I haven't noticed the noise as much, although I have had either my amp wound up or my PC on, both which drown it out!

I've just got Mulholland Drive on DVD so I'llgive it a good try out again in the next few days. Can't have anything spoiling a David Lynch film!:)

Be interested to see what Carlb's is like tomorrow. Here's hoping it's a lot better for you Carl.

Glenn.

The plasma is returned and so is the buzzing. Seems just the same as when it left, and the same as the model '3' loan set I have been using for the last six weeks. However, the picture is so much better than the model '3' set, particularly on dark scenes. I had forgotten how good picture is...

I am prepared to accept these panels buzz now, and just as with the sound sync issues I think some people notice these problems more than others. I wanted the panel checked to make sure I don't have a fault, and the evidence is that I do not, so I am now happy to keep the screen. I can never really notice the buzzing when watching movies, only really when playing games so I am not too distressed.

Arse!

Thanks for the post CarlB - I guess we are all going to have to live with the buzz... :(

I still think it's odd that some people have to put their ears right next to the screen to hear anything, yet others, like me!, can hear it from 9ft away with the sound on!

Martin

I've almost got to the point where I can't here the buzzing now because I am used to it. In my case at least, the buzzing is more pronounced on brighter scenes, and does seem to decrease as the panel warms up. Guess I'll just live with it as well!

Regarding the lip-sync problem. I have the matching clip on speakers which I use for most day-to-day TV viewing, and haven't seen a sync problem from my NTL digibox connected via a Keene SCART to VGA cable. I did see a problem once when viewing the extras disk on the Predator R2 SE DVD. I was outputting from a Tosh SD-510e via component, and it was very noticable. Haven't got round to watching the actual movie yet though, so I can't comment. Haven't noticed it on a few other films I watched though (Ali R2, Shrek R2)

Carl, sounds like I might learn to live with my buzz too, since I still haven't heard of anyone that got it fixed (apart from very old models which have a fault and I guess yours and mine are too new).

You might have seen this review which says, they buzz but learn to live with it 'cos the amazing picture far outweighs this problem!

http://www.epinions.com/content_59834732164

HI,
sorry to here (ha, should that be hear in our case:) ), that your plasma still buzz's carlb.

Guess we all have to live with it! :(

Of course for those technical wizards out there, if you play the 180 opposite sound of the buzzing noise, it will cancel it out!:p

Well thanks to everyone for all the info and tests.

Glenn.

So if I buy another 42" panny plasma, and mount it on the opposite side of the room I wont have any buzz :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom