1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PWD4 and remote control problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dillspooch, Jul 13, 2004.

1. dillspooch

dillspooch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 42PWD4 has recently developed a problem to do with receiving signals from its remote control.

I have it linked to a TU-PTA300B receiver which also has a remote control. The 42PWD4 has speakers which I use for TV viewing, but otherwise I mute the sound and use some AV kit for watching DVD movies.

Here's the problem - the 42PWD4 has stopped responding to all commands from it's own remote control. There are some buttons on the PTA300B remote control which are supposed to control the 42PWD4 (power on/off, input select) but these do not work now. I have a sky remote which was programmed to turn on/off the 42PWD4 control the volume and mute, but the display no longer responds to that too.

Now the 42PWD4 responds to the on/off, input select and volume control and mute (and other functions) for the PTA300B. This is really annoying. If I need to go into setup for the 42PWD4 I get the plasma setup screen as well as the PTA300B setup screen (underneath it).

When I send a RC command I can see the green light on the 42PWD4 flicker so the infrared receiver is doing something, but just not interpreting the commands meant only for it.

I'm fairly sure it's the screen that's at fault as I think it's unlikely to be a problem with three seperate RC's.

Any ideas what I can do about this?

I contacted Panasonic support who took my number and said they would get a technician to call back. They haven't. I've tried contacting them again but just get a recorded anouncement saying they are busy and the line is disconnected.

I'm hoping there might be some tweek or system menu I can get to, to reset things. The 42PWD4 has an RS232c interface and VGA o/p, so I can connect my laptop to it if necessary.

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like you have changed the Remocon User Level.

If you can get the set up button to work and bring up the menu and highlight OSD Language on the display, with this highlighted press and hold the surround button on the PWD4 control. The secret menu should now appear showing different options.

All the best

Toonarmy

3. dillspooch

dillspooch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Toonarmy.

I was able to get to the Setup screen by pressing the setup button on the PTA300B RC (it doesn't do anything when using the PWD4 RC). Unfortunately I can't get it to scroll down to the OSD Language option. I think I might be stuffed!

Do you know if there is some sort of global reset button somewhere on the case of the PWD4 - a sort of return to factory default settings?

Mike

4. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mike

Sounds like U might have to go into engineers menu.

This can be accessed by holding down the - Volume button on the plasma screen and pressing the status button on the panny remote 3 times quickly.

Status button is directly underneath on/off switch.

Do not alter any of the settings but try using your panny remote as this should allow all functions on the remote to work. Access the set up menu as disscussed in my previous post and scroll down to OSD Language and hold down the surround button, this should bring up the secret menu for various different settings.

If I remember correctly the remote settings are right at the bottom of this menu under Remocon. (My screen is set to off)

To clear the engineers screen u must switch the Plasma off.

Let me know if your not sure of anything.

Best of luck

Toonarmy

5. dillspooch

dillspooch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progress.

I was able to get to the engineers menu, and then to the Setup, OSD Language and Remocon settings, all using the PWD4 RC. The Remocon was set to off, same as yours. I changed it to User1, then powered off/on. The PWD4 RC would still not work (except in engineering mode). I tried it on User2, but still no luck. I've set it back to 'off'. Pretty strange!

I've learnt a lot about my display and appreciate the help you've given me. Do you think I should get an engineer to check it out?

Thanks
    Mike

6. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mike

Sorry to hear the remotes still not working properly if the remocon was set to off all buttons on the remote should work.

Sounds like their could be either a problem with the remote or the screen itself.

I don't suppose you know anybody else with a panny plasma a you could try their remote on your screen or your remote on their screen.

I know the the series 4 remote also worked on the series 5 I'm not sure about the series 6 though.

As I was going to suggest you go to a local Panny dealer (with your remote) that has a plasma and ask them if you can try it on their screen to see if it works.

This might enable you to find out if its a problem with the remote or the screen before having to call out engineer.

All the best

Toonarmy

7. dillspooch

dillspooch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toonarmy. It's fixed!!!
    I explored the other engineering menus. When it first displays it says 'CAT panel sys.8.1.'. From here I selected SD Mode which showed showed a screen with lots of numbers and a 'Remote Control Mode A B'. It was on B so I changed it to A, and hey presto, the RC now works properly.
    I'm greatly relieved. I had visions of an engineer tearing out the infrared receiver.
    What I don't understand is how it got changed to B. I've never seen these screens before.
    Anyways, i'm delighted! Thank you very much for your help.
    Best wishes
    Mike

8. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mike

Glad to hear its sorted just be careful when going into the engineers/service menus.

Toonarmy.