1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PW7B & 6 series the difference

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Pgtips, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Pgtips

Pgtips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could somebody please :lease: help a tight, worrying fool who has deliberated over purchasing a plasma for the last 3 years.

What is the difference with the 7 series compared with the 6 series, on the specs list there doesn't seem much difference. I am thinking of going for a panasonic and I would save a couple of hunred squid if I went for the 6 series. However would I be better paying the extra notes for the 7.

Cheers.

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This has been asked lots of times over the past few weeks (do a search and you'll find the posts). The bottom line is that no one knows (or at least, they weren't saying) - but now that the 7 series is on sale it shouldn't be too long before the reviews come out. Of course ... the PW6 might be sold out by then!

ZedZed

3. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I performed the search advised in this thread, that's how I found this thread!

Does anyone have the answer to this question yet?

4. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've had the same problem, but the answer appears to be-

PW7B is an upgrade of the PW6, but its basically the same screen.
    PW7 is compatible with HDMI connector(extra £160 or so if its even out yet) which makes it more future proof as eventually HDMI will be the new scart(probably) Sky digital High Def. will use HDMI, but apparently that doesn't necessarily mean the PW7 will be HD compliant(maybe someone clever than me can explain why)

Also PW7 is meant to have a brighter screen and be more Screen Burn resistance, but people in the Know seem to think this is pretty marginal difference.

And the Deal clincher, you can only get the PW6 in Black and the PW7 in silver. Or the PW7BK in Black which is the Business version of the PW7B(PW7BS=silver) and has better electical shielding and a Security camera picture in picture mode.(ie you don't need it)

I'm going to get the wife to decide what colour she wants and buy according to that, cos £200 for HDMI compatability doesn't seem that important!

(I've been posting for 2 days, do I sound like I know what I'm talking about yet?) :laugh:

5. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi happy, as mentioned in previous thread, got my pwd6 on mon 10th been up and running since, am very very happy with screen, i think your only delibribration is do you want it in black/charcole or silver, if silver you will have to go for the pwd7. if B/C
    then either, however pwd6 will run out soon,
    pwd6 will be cheaper at the moment.
    You proberly think the pwd6 is a run out model and pwd7 is the natural replacement, which it is, and you think you should have the latest model avaible, very understanable, because i went through the same dilemma, but after reading lot of threads and info on thease models, it became apparent there is hardly any difference, so i decieded to save a bit of cash and put towards. additional warrenty (3 years on top of manufactures)£279.
    I can only reasure you again you WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH THE PWD6,
    Rgds paul

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'm sure I have read that the PW6 will accept component video signal via its integral VGA socket whereas the PW7 will not.

S.

7. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    My mum has the 7 I have the 6 I see no difference at all Infact Mine has a better percieved picture because of the black frame and not the silver.

8. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Howdy Happy,

Thanks for your reply, and to everyone else, it is clear to me now that the PW6 is a good option if I don't want to wait until our local Panasonic office finally bring in the new model, and I don't have to feel bad if it arrives on our shores a few weeks after I buy.

But here is the strange thing... The model available here, TH-42W6EX, is in fact silver! Ironically, my personal preference is for charcoal - oh well.

You sure do!

9. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Did you get it from AV Sales ? Any problems ? I'd never heard of av-sales before coming to this forum, and am a bit cautious about buying very expensive stuff over the web? But all the post seem positive here.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That EX suffix is the non GB version, not a prob if you are not in UK!!! There are still 6 seies imports knocking about in silver. The VGA port bit is the most crucial, the facility on the 6 series can save a video board at £100 or so

11. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So let me get this summarised:

The 6 Series EX model is fine.
    The VGA port (which should be on this model) is the best quality port to use.
    People on these forums recommend some kind of adaptor which allows this VGA port to be used as a component input as well (Is this a good thing? Isn't quality compromised when converting?)
    And the PW7 enhancements are too minimal to be concerned about waiting for it.

This is fun... I thought buying my Yamaha amp or E55 Recorder was tough!

12. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not converting it's just using some of the pins on the VGA socket - it is "true" component. Oh and the PW7 can't do this, as already pointed out.
    Edit: re-reading your post I think you might be talking about the JS RGB to component converter - ie to convert an RGB source (eg digibox) to component - all I can say is that I use one and it's excellent - but it is a very high quality/expensive piece of kit - I wouldn't personally get a "cheap" one

Simon

13. dartieman

dartieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi happy, can confirm no problems what so ever with av sales, if your unsure phone them and have a chat.
    I understand fully your concern because i had the same, but after searches on this forum and checking daily and then phoneing them i had every faith in them, and that has been justified, they emailed me when delivery was due, informing me there would be two shipments, one for the plasma, and the other for the wall bracket, component and scart board.
    On mon at 7.30am, i think it was city link turned up with the bracket etc,
    then at 11.30 kayoneil phoned me to confirm if someone was at home to receive screen in approx 1 hour and at 12.30 the delivery guy turned up, i gave him a lift in with plasma, we took it out of the box to check all was ok (it was) the rest is as i posted earlier.
    So stop worrying, and get ya plasma, I live in the B'ham area if you are near and wanna have a look then let me know.