1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH 42PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gazgits, Nov 17, 2004.

1. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all, complete beginner here trying to learn about which plasma to purchase, I was initially intrested in the hitachi 5200 as i believe it is HD ready
    but I have now been advised on the panasonic model mentioned above. Is the PAN HD ready, its pixel count is listed as 852 x 840 where the HIT is a lot higher. Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The HIT is an alis panel - which means it's an interlaced device (hence why it looks like it's got a lot of pixels). IIRC it's not HD compatible.

The PW7 is not a HD panel, but will accept HD signals.

ZedZed

3. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your reply but now i'm really confused. Could you ans these questions if possible

1) Whats an ALIS screen.
    2) Does the HIT have the same res as the PAN then
    3) In What plasma & lcd tv the HIT 5200 comes top in a group test which is specificaly for High Definition TV so surely it must be HD ready

thanks once again.

4. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are some common misconceptions about these ALiS screens:

1- 1024x1024 ALiS panels only have in fact 512 lines - WRONG

2- ALiS panels are not HD compatible - WRONG

3- All ALiS based plasma screens produce mediocre image quality - WRONG

I won't go into any explanations here again (I've done so several times in other topics) but I thought it had to be said, because of the repeated misinformation one can find on this Panasonic-centric forum.

Now, if you're asking about *specific* 1024x1024 ALiS based screens, I'd say IMO the Hitachi's are well behind say the Sony's or some Philips. I would therefore not recommend buying a Hitachi PD5x00 series plasma (except maybe the 32" model), but as usual YMMV.

In general the Pana's admittedly produce among the best pictures, so you definitely want to compare visually. As for HD support be cautious, Pana's don't like 720p in general and Europe's 50Hz-based HTDV - however it depends on which type of connection you're planning to use. Do a search on this forum and you'll find lots of useful information on that topic.

5. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your speedy response. It looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of searching and reading. The reason I was pushe towards the HIT is that virtually every magazine I have read gives it a very good review and it has won several awards.

Thx once again

6. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

i too am in the same predicament. I was also going for the HIT5200 cos at £1450 it seemed a bit of a bargain plasm ( and it looks the nuts too)!!!

But after reading this forum i am torn. What i need is some sort of comparison table showing the pros and cons of the two sets in plain english. Anyone know of any??

Cheers
    Gpc

7. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps,

QUOTE = Now, if you're asking about *specific* 1024x1024 ALiS based screens, I'd say IMO the Hitachi's are well behind say the Sony's or some Philips. I would therefore not recommend buying a Hitachi PD5x00 series plasma (except maybe the 32" model), but as usual YMMV.

why recommend the 32 model.Is this a better model??

Cheers

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd put it this way: some of the weaknesses the Hitachi's have picture-wise are much less visible at that size screen - not only because of the size itself but it almost look like the video processing is a little more effective on that screen (from what I've seen anyway, I might be wrong).

9. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AAAHhH i see. Same problem but just less visible. I have also read about the connections on this model not being very generous. I would be using DVD, and sky or digi box. Would this model be adequate. Im sorry for such newbie questions ( and hijacking someone elses thread ) but i cant trust the currys' comet sales staff.

Gpc

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connections are one of Hitachi's *strong* points. Has all you can think of except maybe for HDMI (however HDMI -> DVI convertors/cables exist and do work with Hit PD5x00 plasma's since their DVI input are HDCP compatible).

11. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks pezee. Didnt realise that.

Im swaing towards the hit32pd5200.... may wait till the jan sales.

Mant thanks again
    G

12. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can second that the Hitachi's arn't as good as the Sony, Philips & Fujitsu implementations of the ALIS panel.

Having said that they are also much cheaper - the best I've seen the Fujitsu P42HHA30ES+PTE1300 combination is for £2,400 delivered from ebuyer. And not everyone likes ebuyer :p

13. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's correct. Looks like the Hitachi video processing is the weak link here.

I'm quite amazed at how well Sony has executed with its Wega engine. Today I had the brief opportunity to see a dozen plasmas in a showroom, all sadly connected via a Composite dispatch from a single SD DVD source - a pretty mediocre setup, as usual in large video/HC shops.

Not surprinsigly, all plasma screens were performing very poorly, with horrid banding and artefacts galore... even the Pio's 434HDE and 435FDE were showing lots of solarization - and that tells it all.
    <no Pana on display btw, so can't judge>

There were 2 Sony plasma's, a 37XS1 (1024x1024 Alis screen, mind you) and 37MRX1 (I think), both using their new Wega engine. Guess what? They were the ONLY plasma screens showing almost no solarization (just some), and a very detailed and fluid picture. Why? Because Sony's do a great job with poor sources, better than most others.

Well, unfortunately one also has budget constraints, and that's were the Hitachi's come handy (with the added bonus of HD-compatible digital connectivity, s'thing the Sony plasma's don't enjoy, in Europe at least - none of them). :smoke: