1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PW7 - The Basics!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mario Basler, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Mario Basler

Mario Basler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a plasma virgin but have been reading reviews on the web site extensively for the past 3 days. Not sure if it's confused me even further but i think i've made my mind up on purchasing a Panasonic TH-42PW7 plasma screen as there seems to be a lot of love out there for this particular model.

As i understand it, this is a plasma screen opposed to a plasma TV and needs a few add ons to get it up and running.

I'm not wanting to connect much to the screen, only a standard DVD player and a Telewest cable box but unsure of whether i need a component board, composite board or a scart terminal board. I may be hooking this up with a surround sound system in the near future as well. I've also read something about getting a RGB converter but i seem to be a bit confused over how this works!!

I was also wondering if this was good value for money at around £900-£1000 or should i look elsewhere?

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
  3. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    Value for money is incredible with the PW7. You get a lot of screen for the money.

I don't think there's anything else to touch it at current prices and because there are so many different ways to connect it up, upgrading your other gear in the future gives you more options.

4. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are not getting surround sound system for a while, you will also need to think how you are going to get sound. The panel does not come with speakers attached, although it does have built in amp so you can attach your own speakers if you have them.

Abs

5. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you're getting surround sound and an amp you could have just one cable to the plasma from the amp................ and connect the DVD and telewest box to the amp...........................and switch them through that.

Cheers,Tam

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    The RGB box basically splits the video and the audio from a RGB SCART (from your telewest box), the video goes to the VGA input on the plasma, and the audio to can put through your amp. This gives you better quaity picture than a SCART input.
    If your DVD has component out, you can get a component board for the panel and again, put your audio through your amp. This will give you the best picture from your DVD player.
    Here is a link for forum member discount prices for the PWD7 (basically the same but better than the PW7:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169453

I think your budget needs to be a bit higher for this, maybe around £1400 but there is no better option for that sort of money.