Panasonic TH-42PW6B - Where, Your thoughts?

GarethH

Standard Member
Reaction score
You might have seen my other thread about buying a Plasma. I saw this model on display with Monsters Inc at the weekend and it looked amazing. Certainly changed my opinion on Plasmas picture quality!

1. What are yours thoughts on it?

2. Where's the cheapest/best place to buy it from?

3. I've got a Pioneer 747A DVD Player...However, it only outputs Progressive NTSC. Does PAL interlaced look okay on the Panny? Do you think this player will make a good match?

4. Hows the movement with the picture on the Panny?

5. Any negatives on the picture side of things?

6. Which board do I need to buy to run the component out, RCA or BNC?

7. Monsters Inc and other GFX movies obviously look good anyway, do film movies still look near the quality of it?

8. Is the Plasma mountable on a non outside wall?

9. Does the plasma have a fan and does it buzz?

10. Anything else I should know?

Thanks, and my apologies for so many questions!

www.av-sales.co.uk. Ask for Andrew. Best service I have ever experienced from any company, AV or otherwise. And damn keen prices too.

I have the previous version, the TH-42PW5, and it is superb.

Not as many features as some (picture-in-picture etc ) but you are paying for the picture quality not "gimmick's" that you might rarely use.

If I was buying a new screen now, I'd be choosing between the Panasonic or the new Pioneer 434.

The Pioneer might be better, but is probably more expensive as well.

Sidicks

I saw the Pioneer 434 in the same shop, it too looked good, but it didn't blow me away like the Panasonic! AV-Sales looks good, gonna give them a call and hopefully part with my cash over the next week or so!

Well, I know the Panny's excel in respect of CR but I wouldn't be buying an SD res screen now (and as I am looking for a new 32" screen for the bedroom I truly mean that) when so many screens are available with HD. Don't forget it won't be too long before the next version of DVD comes along with higher res. An SD panel will then likely look nowhere near as good as a HD one.

Euro 1080 is also here (but not common place) but things are moving in that direction. HTPC's and WMV are also starting to become used and an SD panel will do little justice to that. If you plan to replace within 2 years then no probs (apart from resale value) but if you intend keeping longer then consider hard.

Yes Messiah, thats certainly worth considering. However, current HDTV ready screens aren't even full HDTV resolution. I'm guessing that over the next 2-3 years we'll see 1920x1024 resolution screens appearing! I am indeed only thinking of the next two years and plan to replace my whole current setup anyway when I move!

To be honest I wasn't even seriously thinking of upgrading till I saw the Panasonic on display...it just blew me away and gave me the push to upgrade!

I dont believe that we will have an established HD source before at least 2 years are out...... I suspect in that time many buyers will have graduated to a new display. SD is quite ok in my view, even those who will be early HD adopters should be ok simply on the basis that they will change the plasma even more often than normal....

Costs are also going down, so the best financial sense is to buy the panasonic SD which looks stunning and is currently one of the cheapest plasmas about

ad

Keeping costs down Ad..! :rotfl:

LOL I know it sounds a bit silly considering £5k worth of source, but I have a very strong feeling that this time next year there will be WXGA displays at less than current SD..... even the SD is going to go down in price big style, but with the WXGA the depreciation I believe will be worse. Basically this is my read of the market so my own choice. I have spent too long buying without thinking so now things change.

At the moment none of the display technologies satisft my needs, the panasonic plasma seems pretty much the best compromise

ad

See your point and have to say it sounds sound. Like you (and many others I'm sure) I've spent way too much on kit that will be almost worthless in a couple of years and exceeded (quality wise) by new kit at fractions of the price.

I keep saying I'm not gonna upgrade or buy anything but it doesn't last long, unfortunately :(

Looking at anew flat screen for the bedroomn and just hoping I hold out long enough to buy something better than todays offerings at way less money (<£1000 would be nice :) )

Originally posted by Messiah
www.av-sales.co.uk. Ask for Andrew. Best service I have ever experienced from any company, AV or otherwise. And damn keen prices too.

Ditto!!! :smashin:

Great screen, but I am biased...do a search and most of your questions will be answered...

JJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom