1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PW5 or HITACHI 42PMA400E?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Damox, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Damox

Damox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all been lurking around these forums for a while and decided to get a Plasma. I'ved narrowed the choice down between Panasonic 42" and the New Hitachi 42"

Bearing in mind i'll be using only for DVD's, also I have prog scan DVd player with Component cable at home waiting for a Plasma to connect to..

So which is best and which would be good for the future i.e HD-DVD?

My Budget is £2500-£3000.

2. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to see the screens in person - they produce very different pictures. Your budget would include the sixth generation Panasonic, not just the fifth that you're currently considering.

The Hitachi 400e can supposedly handle high definition, but the best screen at a reasonable price that definitely can is the Pioneer MXE at circa £3,500. The Panasonic wouldn't be such a good future-proofing choice, although the sixth generation does have a DVI input.

Have a good read of the threads in this forum - yours is probably the most frequently asked of frequently asked questions!

3. Damox

Damox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL yea just noticed now this question all over..

Pioneer to expensive for me.. as I need a wall mount in that budget also along with delivery costs.. so it looks like Hitachi judging from comments on this site and mags this is the best Plasma for the price..

4. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Damox,
    Don't be to quick to jump on to the Hitachi bandwagon , as far as I can remember(but please check yourself) the Hitachi is a Alis screen, and when a progressive signal is put in it internal processing with change it to interlaced.
    I myself have narrowed down my options to either the Panny or the Pio mxe, especially for the reason above.
    Let us all know what you find, and what your decision is when you have seen them side by side.

Andy

5. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damox,

Definatley go and view progressive on both sources.

As stated the Hitachi is an Interlaced panel, your progressive feed (although can be displayed on the Hitachi) will be converted back to interlaced prior to display. Hence is there any point in the PS DVD player youve invested in?

I had a Hitachi 42PD3000 previous, and used with my Arcam. The picture from a true progressive feed to progressive display (such as Pannys youre looking at) IMHO is far superior.

Honest, take a couple of DVD's & go see for yourself :cool:

Also you mention High Definition content. Hitachi will display it, actually display 1080i very well (only loose 5% of intended picture), however increasingly HD viewing will be dependant upon DVI (HDCP) inputs - I know with the Hitachi 42PD3000, this was a no goer - it had a DVI input to the panel, but proprietary to Hitachi so all in all not very good.

Tony

6. Damox

Damox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great so i'ved now only got 1 choice.. The Panasonic..

LOL - actually I was hoping it was the Panasonic.. It's only £2500 (inc delivery and vat) from Nexnix

so i'll get that.. :D

although I won't be getting one until September so maybe even the Pioneer 433MXE will go down in price (me hoping)

7. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damox

Sorry about this, but the Panasonic TH42PWD panel, although with DVI input, does not support HDCP, the six series panels do- as mentioned by Easy2BCheesy.

Some however, do not consider this important.

Tony

8. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damox, you really need to see the panels in action. It makes all the difference. Maybe the Panasonic will appeal to you strongly, maybe it won't.

I went through the exact same thought process as you and was originally scoping out a TH42PWD fifth generation panel as they are so cheap (relatively) but I saw it in action and wasn't impressed, due to flicker with PAL images. Later I discovered the downsizing of PAL resolution and it added to my decision that it wasn't the plasma for me.

In terms of future-proof panels that can handle progressive scan material, the Pioneer MXE is probably best - certainly looked that way to my eyes when I did a demo. Yes, it's a good £1,000 more expensive than the fifth generation Panny which I was originally considering, but having seen the panels in action and weighed up the pros and cons, I decided it was worth raiding my savings for the extra amount.

As it is, I think you need to read through some of the threads on this page, get a demo of all the displays you are considering, then make up your mind. All of the plasmas in your price range (and out of it!) have their strengths and weaknesses, but until you see them running at a good dealer, you shouldn't even consider buying blindly.

9. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need to do a bit of research on the differences between the Panasonic fifth generation and sixth generation - they are not the same thing!

Also if you're not buying until September, the chances are that remaining stock of the fifth generation would have been sold, leaving the Panasonic sixth generation at £3,000.

10. Damox

Damox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for all the replies.. I'll take a look at Richer Sounds in Manchester and get a demo of some plasma's..

But I might even get by budget higher if it means paying a little extra for 6th gen Pana/pioneer mxe