1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic TH-42PW4 s-video stuck on zoom

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by davidv, Jun 22, 2002.

1. davidv

davidv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a panasonic TH-42PW4 and its brilliant apart from one problem. I've got it connected to my dvd player via an S-video to S-video lead, and the aspect is stuck on zoom. I can't find any way of changing it and the DVDs look stupid.

When I'm watching sky/Tivo via an RGB-plasma box I can change aspect no problem.

Any suggestions please?

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    This is a known issue with the Panasonic and affects some S-video input'd gear and not others. As a get around you'll either need to make a DC block see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142033&highlight=svideo+lock

or use component or scart for dvd, or run dvd through an av receiver to plasma which may strip out the signal the plasma locks to. Or you could 'simply' cut out the culprit resistor - only kidding.

3. davidv

davidv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - I failed to find it in my search. Now I'll find out if the 'in-home' service I paid extra for works. With John Sim's external workaround as a fall-back.

4. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya

i had the same problem, running it thro my processor didn't make any difference.

ended cutting the resistor out, works fine now.

ten

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    davidv, on the link I gave see the attachment at the bottum of symanski's first post. As for the inhome service costing extra, I was told it was Panasonic who added this to the warranty recentlyish regardless of what price a buyer gets a unit for?

My panel buzzes and has the s-video lock which I've been trying to get sorted for nearly 3 weeks of calls to my retailer, resulting with me being given the main Panasonic customer service number - i.e. time and money wasted - and being wished good luck!!!
    On calling Panasonic CS getting I get an indifferent guy telling me 'they all buzz...[and]...can you hear it OVER the top of normal channels?!' and that no loan panels were available for up to 21 days and did I want to go ahead, ya ha it cost thousands!
    I then recalled the shop as the sales guy was suppose to have been getting back to me, but didn't (again x 6), to speak to a different person who spoke with Panasonic and was told someone would call me but...drum roll...didn't!!!
    Be prepared to be patient.

Ten, you're a brave man, of interest did you use the techniwizard guy's listing of resistors on avsforum to know which one to amputate?

6. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya encaser

my dealer told me exactly which resistor to remove, it's easy to spot and easyish to perform the mod.

got very fed up with my xbox and sky+ stuck on zoom.

i've also heard that the new panels shouldn't have this problem as they have been modified.

and will be purchasing the dvi board soon anyway

:)

ten

7. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you know what (if any) zoom modes are available when using the DVI input?

I am considering the Tag DVD with prog scan board (DVI out) but do not want to find myself in the situation where I have to watch 2.35:1 aspect films letterboxed on a plasma due do burn-in.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Ten, interesting your dealer gave out the info as warranty could well be voided by doing the surgery. I heard too that the boards were suppose to be buzz free and zoom lock sorted after a cretain date but suspect Pana had some knocking about and sold them as is cheaper to some retailers, mine possibly being one -and hoped people wouldn't complain, but just a theory to the latter point. The DVI board may need plenty of research as I recall someone on the US avsforum (Swedish or such retailer I think) complaining that they were 'stuck' with 4:3 for DVI input. And as it is 'pixel mapped', as it were, they couldn't change out of it, so I don't wish to alarm or condescend but perhaps take a look mate on avsforum;)
    MattB, similar to Ten on DVI but I wouldn't get too concerned over screen burn as long as you also view a reasonable amount of 16:9 or screen saver it to even wear.

9. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fair comment but I like to watch 2.35:1 aspect films slightly zoomed, perhaps halving the width of the black bars at the expense of cropping the sides slightly. Nothing to do with burn-in this time, I just like to see more of the screen active:p

10. davidv

davidv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Encaser, I read about the buzzing problem here so I got the dealer to confirm it was OK before they shipped (& I only paid a deposit before it arrived so I had a chance to check). I can just make out a noise with my ear about an inch above the top, but anything more than a foot and I can't hear anything.

The Panasonic customer service doesn't sound too promising - I'll see what the dealer comes back with tomorrow. I downloaded the circuit diagram just in case, thanks.

Dave

11. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiyas

afaik, the dvi offers 4:3 and 16:9 ratios.

obviously, performing the mod could of invalidated my warrantee on the panel, but as i said i am purchasing the dvi board and as the board is just a slot in module, i don't see there being a problem. i hope.

anyway, i sure my dealer could sort me out.

ten

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Just catching up on this 'interesting' thread - people with soldering irons, snips, add on warranty's, good BNC boards, bad BNC boards and noisy power supplies and to cap it all you do really need a good dealer after all to deal with the big manufacturers :)

S-Video lock - not a 'problem' its a feature; a very annoying one granted but the panels are doing what they are meant to.

S-Video lock block - Johns fix does work and is fairly low cost to produce.

The 'SNIP' - I think I would confirm before I got stuck in with a set of cutters that this does not invalidate your warranty. If its on the terminal board then probably yes the panel warranty is OK but I would confirm with Panasonic first and I would not be for giving out this info to our customers before I confirmed with Panasonic. And has your dealer advised you on all relevant health and safety aspect of getting stuck into the panel/board.

BNC boards - all current BX (UK Spec) models are supplied with a modified board that sorts out a timing error that is 'within specification' on the standard board supplied with all EX (Euro models).

Panasonic Warranty - all BX models supplied to main dealers by Panasonic Business Systems UK include a one year on site warranty at no extra charge to the dealer or the customer.

Panasonic Service - yes a friendly ear and the right numbers are always a hep when dealing with such a big organisation.

Overly Noisy PSU - we have only had one noisy board in the last year and are currently working through a fix with our customer and Panasonic service.

DVI terminal board - the current board only works with 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 signals. TEN interesting that you say it works with 16:9 - is this something you have working or just been told?

Best regards

Joe Fernand

13. davidv

davidv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My S-Video lock problem (it was definitely a problem) is now sorted. My dealer got details of the modification from Panasonic and sent me a replacement board - all I had to do was swap them over (very easy) & post back the old board (they even sent the stamps). They assure me they are a Panasonic service centre so my warranty is unaffected.

Initially they did tell me I had to wait for Panasonic to come with a loan screen while they took mine away to fix the problem, and Panasonic had a shortage of screens, but we worked out this better solution.

Now when I watch DVD's I get all the aspect choices as per the manual.

Dave