1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PW3B or TH-42PWD3 ??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by slateram, Mar 22, 2001.

1. slateram

slateram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me the difference between these two (TH-42PW3B and TH-42PWD3).

Also, is there anyone out there who has bought one - I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks.

2. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The TH-42PW3B is the latest,and only plasma model worth considering.It puts all others to shame.It is still not good enough though,to justify the expense,IMHO.You will find shops trying to sell you the TH-42PWD3 for'a good price'.They just know that it is very old technology,in plasma terms.The plasma evolution is revolution,so each generation makes the last look extremely poor.There is a new Panasonic on the horizon.It is a 50" plasma,with a contrast ratio of 3000:1.The latest model(42PW3B) only has a contrast ratio of 300:1.As i said,it's revolution,not evolution.Don't buy till the technological road has gone a few more miles.

3. slateram

slateram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Napolean,

However I also read the write up saying the contrast ratio was 300:1 but when looking at all other web sites including the official Panasonic site it stated the ratio is actually 3000:1 - so as good as the 50" you mention. I'd really like to see it, anyone know a dealer that has a demo up and running?

4. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Hi slateram,

I'm afraid Napoleon has got it all *completely* wrong. Sorry Napoleon. I own a Panasonic plasma and I can tell you definitively what the models are.

The TH-42PW3 is the latest and greatest model with 3000:1 contrast ratio, 650 cd/m2 brightness and all the trimmings. Its completely superb and is the best plasma to buy, by miles. The TH-42PW3B is *the same thing* (EXACTLY the same), but comes as a package, including a tuner. This can be a bit useful, if you want teletext etc, but if you can a cable or satellite box, the tuner is a waste of time.

The TH-42PWD3 is also the same, but its aimed at the professional market, so it has some extra picture adjustments (which you don't need.) However, the PWD3 is also *the same set*, so if you see it cheaper, get this one instead. You don't *lose* anything with the PWD3. (It is grey, rather than silver, thats all).

There is a 50" on the way. This too has 3000:1 contrast ratio. This is the TH-50PW3 (unsurprisingly)

I don't know what Napoleon was talking about, but he was very confused and he should not put you off a TH-42PWD3 - it is the latest technology, contrary to what he says. Perhaps he was confusing things with the old Panasonic TC-42PD1?

I hope I have cleared things up.

Chip

5. slateram

slateram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chip,

Now I'm not sure what to believe? According to Panasonic UK your reply is incorrect.

> PROBLEM RESOLUTION:
    > Dear Mr Andy,
    >
    > Thank you for your e-mail.
    >
    > The TH-42PWD3 is the older version of this unit. It is no longer
    > available. The
    > main difference is that the newer one is brighter.
    >
    > I hope this information is of assistance to you.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Customer Support
    >
    > *** If you have any further queries, please e-mail back to
    > customer.care@panasonic.co.uk. including your original e-mail, and our
    > response.

I also had a reply from a representatvie in the middle east saying,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR MAIL.
    > ACTUALLY, FOR PLASMA TH SERIES, THERE IS ONLY 2 MODELS :
    >
    > TH-42PW3E SILVER COLOR
    > TH-42PWD3E BLACK COLOR
    >
    and
    Kindly, note that TH-42PW3E AND TH-42PW3B are the same model and
    > according to the factory it is a country coding difference.
    >
    > Plasma Specifications for our models:
    > TH-42PW3E
    > TH-42PWD3E
    >
    > 1-CONTRAST RATIO 3000:1
    > 2-BRIGHTNESS 650 CD/m2
    > 3-NUMBER OF PIXELS (852*480)PIXELS
    > 4-DISPLAYABLE COLOURS 16.77 MILLION COLOURS
    >
    > If there is any new Plasma with better than these specifications, kindly
    > inform us with the details.
    >

Everyone has a different answer!

I would hope to believe Panasonic UK, but maybe you can e-mail them if you disagree and let me know their response.
    Obviously I want the latest and best!!

6. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Slateram,I may well be wrong,so if i am,apologies.I could possibly be correct though [​IMG]

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the TH-42PW3B but I'm sure I've seen D3 labeled on the box or manuals somewhere, but it definately is a 42PW3B.

I know for sure that there is a "professional" version of the PW3B out there. The only difference being the colour (black) and a few extras mainly in the connectivity area but the 42PW3B is the consumer version.

Just for a laugh, check out the following link which shows the Panasonic page describing the TH-42PW3B - notice the browser window header - it says TH-42PWD3.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/nw/products/product.asp?c=TH-42PWD3

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure enough the Plasma option is not cheap. You're looking at £6999.00 but I'm sure you'll get a much better price now as there are more on the streets than when I got it.

Also bear in mind waranty, especially on an expensive piece of kit like this. Obviously you'll get the standard 1 year but you may want to consider an extended version. For this you will be looking at another £1000 or so for another 3-5 years.

Onto the "why" question:

The main reason for me was the space saving aspect of the Plasma screen. I don't have much room and a crt tv was out of the question. That leaves rear projection or plasma. The plasma won on the following grounds:

• thinner
    • lighter
    • wall hangable
    • larger viewing angle
    • sharper picture
    • its mega cool!
    [​IMG]

9. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me clear this little mess up once and for all?

The Panasonic TH-42PW3B is the silver 42" version made explicitly for the home/domestic market in the UK. The TH-42PWD3 is exactly (apart from minor set-up menu options/screen adjustments, which are not even relevant to a domestic user) the same unit in black but has been produced explicitly for the corporate/commercial market. The rear connections and specifications are the same. The unit has a 3000:1 contrast ratio and is without any possible doubt the best Plasma money can buy at the moment in any size (except arguably the new 50" Pioneer?) I have compared every available Plasma on the market at present and gathered information from dozens of proffessional sources and the answer is always the same. The TH-42PW3B is the one to buy but it will be slightly more expensive than the black model, but I have found dealers willing to part with them for around £6200 to £6600 stand alone with no tuner?
    Don't expect the price to drop much more than this for the time being, or to see a better screen at that price? Avoid the Fujitsu and Phillips screens as they do not compare to the Panasonic in any description except maybe being slightly cheaper.
    NOTE: The Panasonic should be purchased with the official Vertical Wall Bracket TH-42PW3BC (£275-£475) instead of one of the various multi screen brackets around (£150-£275) as the panasonic bracket hugs the screen to the wall where the cheaper ones throw the screen a good 2"-2.5" away from the wall and looks slightly odd?

10. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    It doesn't surprise me Panasonic got it wrong. Have you seen their web-site? They still show the old TC-37PD1 and TC-42DP1 models that have been discontinued for ages!Also, when I asked them for the model number of the stand, they got that wrong too. (Which panicked me, as it made me think the dealer had given me the wrong one!) They did apologise afterwards though.

Anyway, I can confirm for sure that the TH-42PW3, TH-42PW3B and TH-42PWD3 are all the same thing with very minor cosmetic differences. For example:

The 3 comes with a £1.99 bnc to phono converter plug for the AV port. (Since they figure us "consumers" won't want a bnc socket, but "pro's" will.

The D3 has carrying handles on the back, the 3 doesn't.

The D3 has some extra picture adjustments for setting it up as a public display device.

The 3 and D3 have different stands and wall-bracket options. (the D3 is supposed to be put on airport walls and the like.)

The 3 is silver and the D3 is dark grey.

The manual is the same for both sets and it shows the specs to be the same. Also I have the 3B, and my mate has the D3. We know they are the same.

Hope this helps,

Chip.

11. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    FYI, I got my TH-42PW3B at Xmas for £6400, *including* the tuner. (VAT included).

The price without the tuner was £6050. In the end, I got it from the Panasonic Technics shop in Exeter (because they had one, and they kindly price matched). But the original quote was from PRC in London.

Both are Panasonics Technics main dealers supplying genuine UK stock.

Personally, if I had the choice again, I would *not* buy the tuner. But I didn't know that at the time, so I played it safe. (The tuner is £900!!! if you want to buy it separately afterwards.)

Chip

12. slateram

slateram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again guys,

So the TH-42PW3B is the one to go for! I'll be checking out PRC in London when I get back in a week or so. Also good point about the extended warranty, does sound pricey though.
    I probably won't bother with the tuner as I'll be getting Sky digital.

I'm getting all excited!

13. slateram

slateram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BK, Napoleon, Chip

I'm now more inclined to believe you than Panasonic. What kind of marketing is this when it's so mixed up even the company selling the product doesn't know the difference between the models.

Anyway, if you don't mind I'm also interested in how much you paid, and obviously you both decided it was worth the extra money compared to a rear-projection - can you help me justify the cost by listing your reasons for going plasma? Thanks again.