Quantcast

Panasonic TH-42PV500E plasma - Doubt about resolution

pmladeira

Standard Member
The Panasonic TH-42PV500E has a resolution of 1024x768 , which I think is 4:3 format, but the screen is 16:9.

Can someone explain me how this work ?

Ibizaonice

pmladeira said:
Right. But how does it works ? Will it use 1024X576 when watching a 16:9 source ?
honestly i really don't know,, but who the hell cares ? It's a greeeeeat PLASMA, just ordered one my self :rotfl: Have you heard any complains about the issue you are asking ?

You Gotta Love it 8)

Greetings
Happy Norwegian

L

Lionheart

I remember reading something about this...about Panasonic saying they have long pixels to compensate..not sure exactly what it was but its something to do with the pixels

YellowCows

Standard Member
For the 42" models from the likes of Pioneer, Panasonic, LG and others, the resolution of 1024X768 utilises rectangular pixels to give a 16:9 ratio.

The reason for this is due to the historical purpose of plasma display panels, which were developed as computer monitors prior to their adoption by the consumer market. Hence they use VESA (i.e. PC) resolutions such as SVGA (800X600) and XGA (1024X768).

50" models from the likes of Pansonic (with a NR of 1366X768, or WXGA) use square pixels - as that resolution is naturally 16:9.

HTH :)

Moory