1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PHD6UY. Yours views

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cricket, Aug 16, 2004.

1. cricket

cricket
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. Can anyone put some coments towards the Panasonic TH-42PHD6UY Plasma display, This is the High Def Version so I have been told, How much are they going for at present and would you buy one. Thank you

2. Fidelio

Fidelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You may find this thread useful:-

'Here http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/...resolution.html they compare the Panny 1024x768 vs 853X480. Their conclusions are that for 480 sources i.e. DVDs etc, what we have today, the low res one is better as it is not converting the signal 2 pixels to 3. Which if you think about it makes sense. So the choice of resolution depends a lot on what you plan to do in the future, stick with DVDs or be leading edge and go HD.'

Fidelio

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Well I disagree that having more pixels isn't a benefit to playing back lower resolution sources. Good scaling can create iniformation that is not on the disc but was probably in the original image that was trying to be captured. Mmore pixels and good scalinig can give you a closer view of the original image.

The HD Panny s great.

Gordon

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I like my HD panasonic but am still confused as to which scalar will give the best picture with the HD: Lumagen HDP pro (once out of Beta), crystallia or will the iSCAN HD. I've been looking for 9 months and still not decided.
    That's my next big essential purchase to go with the plasma. The picture quality is very good even without a scalar.

I went to AVSALES for mine and had very good after sales. The main problem you will find is that you can only buy/view in a handful of places through the country.

Steve.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Steve,

I should have a Lumagen here next week (though probably not the HDP). Not far from you if you want to see it in action.

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering

www.homecinemaengineering.com

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,521
    cricket

Over here in the UK its the TH-42PHD6BX you need to look out for and whilst I've only speed read the reviews linked to by Fidelio I think the US reviews will miss out that (for me) the PHD6 model is far better at displaying our PAL signals than the PWD6.

The overall 'look' of the PWD6 is great but I personally find the colour banding on PAL signals annoying - the PHD6 uses a quite different system to 'drive' (illuminate) its pixels and this requires less video processing than the PWD6 uses and I find it very obvious when watching SKY and the like.

Keep in mind when reading US reviews these guys are looking at Standard Definition (SD) signals in 480i (Interlaced) or Extended Definition (ED) 480p (Progressive) which is a great fit to the PWD6 852x480 pixel array.

In the UK our SDTV is 576i (interlaced) so the SD panel has to throw away info to make it fit on the 852x480 pixel array and as before it has to work hard to give you its full contrast with interlaced signals.

I'd go HD every time (if budget allows) the cost difference is roughly £700.00 according to my Panasonic Price list.

Best regards

Joe