1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PHD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rasczak, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    I notice the TH-42PHD6 display has a 1024x768 XGA resolution as opposed to 852x480 on the other Panasonic Plasmas. Does that mean this set this high defintion compatible? I appreciate the other Panny plasmas will display a High Res picture (just down-converted to fit the display) but I do like the idea of one that can display a high def picture.

Are there any reviews available for this set yet (haven't seen any in HCC or WVWE) or is it too new? All the magazines seem to rave about the 852x480 resolution models - is the TH-42PHD6 as good?

2. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may not see magazine reviews on this panel as it officially a 'commercial' rather than 'consumer' (or domestic) panel - or though we live in hope. Liam from AV Sales has posted a few comments on this panny along with Steve36 (I'm waiting for some feedback from the Event II). It's 720P and 1080i compatable, with 720P being a closer match for the panel's native resoluation (like the Pioneer 434 or other XGA res plasmas), so yes it's High Def ready. It's potentially even better than it's VGA siblings due to its higher resolution. For my money it's a shoot-out between the Pioneer 434 and the PHD42 Panny (the thought of weaker blacks on the Pioneer are worrying me though).

Regards,

JP.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    I think those two are the fore-runners on my shopping list as well. Won't be buying for a couple of months yet as I haven't compared them side by side yet. But certainly seeing them individually they both seem top notch.

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Rasczak
    Panasonic so far have never classed the panasonic-HD as a home product. Maybe one day they'll see the light !
    As such it is very difficult to find dealers that can even supply this model, never mind demonstrate them.
    The magazines ignore it, quite sensibly as they have not been told by Panasonic that it is a consumer product.
    I actually liked both the Panasonic & Pioneer, but did not like the Pioneer black surround, even though it is slightly better value.
    I look forward to the event-II reviews, IMO the panasonic handles low-res slightly better.
    If you really wish to confuse yourself see the pioneer 50", that was very good at the Manchester show.

Steve.