1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42PA20

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by smallangryboy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thinking of taking the plunge early next year with one of the earlier models that include a tuner and ample scart connections, as my room is way too small for a projector. Wondered if anyone had any experience of this model ?

2. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Panasonic TH 42PW6 was also on my shopping list but seemed too complex to set up as it was just a display panel with no extras. What would I need exactly to make it function like a TV ? Could I also directly connect my centre channel from the 42PW6 so I didn't need to boot up my AV amp every time I wanted to listen/watch the TV ?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you seem very out of date mate PA20 replaced 9 months ago by PE30 and PW6 is easy to set up..........
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner
    that will help with set up and you can connect speakers to plasma but would reconmend a cheap pair of Wharfedale loud panels or similar for plasma only use.....
    I would just use AV amp all time...... Why not eh?

4. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No not particularly out of date, I've had a look at some of the recent reviews via the forum, but wanted something cheaper, so looking for earlier models. I didn't want to pay top dollar for the latest panel, as I'm not bothered too much about futureproofing, but I do appreciate your advice as this is a new area for me.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thing is PA20 COST more than PE30 so stock value is higher (unless looking Secondhand) if you are looking new then PW6 is best value option (has limited future support, Sky HD for example is not going to be feasable without a scaler see the "help a beginner" thread for loads of PW6 info

6. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hornydragon

thanks for the info I will check out the 'help a beginner' thread with interest. I have the AV gear [Arcam AVR100 and DV88] as well as 5.1 speakers [monitor audio and REL] so just looking to add either a panel or projector. Don't have Sky any more just freeview, so I'll be trying to find out what kit I need for the PW6 to make everything work. No rush, early in the new year is when I hope to buy. Cheers again for the pointers.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SAB the thread contains all you ned, suggest you get a netgem FV box (has component out and then you could run component into AMP and Out with one cable to screen VGA input (PW6) or component board (PW7)