Panasonic TH-42PA20

S

se7en

Just a quick question really, i notice that when i watch DVD's, my plasma sort of looks a bit pixelated, is this normal because it's quite noticable far back too. just delving into the world of plasmas so sorry if this is a bit of a silly question. Just the fact when i saw a plasma in a store it looks crystal clear.

Cheers

S

se7en

hmm, while i sort out my configuration, i just bought a cheapo dvd player + 5.1, still would have thought it'd be fine...

DVD Player - Bush DVD AV11K and using a cambridge audio premium audio/visual interconnect scart connection atm, any more information needed ? New at this still so let me know :)

Cheers

SNICK

seems a bit of a false economy spending 3 grand on a plasma and feeding it with a cheapo DVD - my advice would be to upgrade or borrow someones DVD player - to see whether the pixelation issue improves. Have you tried turing down the contrast?

S

se7en

yeah, i just bought a cheapo dvd player till i sorted out what kit i was going to spend my money on, so, i just wanted something to play my dvd's until i sorted it all out.

have tried playing with the settings, making it darker does seem to help, but still see it. i'll see if i can get a decent picture of it. i'm getting sky digital on the 9th though, so that should show a better picture i presume

MAW

Banned
The bush player will probably do RGB, you'll need to enable that inthe player menu, and while you're at it select 16:9. I see about 20 setups a week, and most have not done this.

S

se7en

it does do RGB, i always play the movies in 16:9 anyway, so it's not that...

i have a picture that's sort of exagerated, but i'll post it anyway so you know what i mean.

Pic

think it could be the dvd player ? scart connection ?

MAW

Banned
It's not the movies you have to tell it's 16:9. it's the player. The picture is not really very informative, tho I have to say if I left a customer's plasma like that I'd be out of business in a week.... I can't tell what's wrong from that in short. When you say AV scart, is it fully wired? Or is it a scart to 3 phono lead plugged into an 3 phono-scart adapter at the plasma? If so there is your trouble, you would have only composite video. Cure is a big fat fully wired scart cable.

S

se7en

hmm, set the dvd player to 16:9, it was on 4:3, hmm, would that make much of a difference to quality then ? have to say it looks better now though. thanks for the replies :)

S

se7en

the cable is this one i believe from richersounds, got 3 thrown in when we bought the plasma;

Link

MAW

Banned
Must be the player then, borrow another to try. It might not be crap, it might be faulty. Almost any DVD player is watchable, the differences as you pay more get more and more subtle.

S

se7en

hmm, ok, i'll give it a try, i also just got someone say this;

'I remember when I was in Sound Advice \when plasmas first came out and they were showing flubber on this tv... it looked really pixelated, but then sometimes I see others that are sharp as crap... so I couldnt tell you. But it might be possible that some models do that.'

getting me worried now :p
Cheers

MAW

Banned
Unless yours is faulty, it's not the plasma. It is capable of very smooth cinematic picture quality when fed a half decent signal

S

se7en

that's what i was hoping, can you suggest a dvd player/leads (i'm guessing component video is the better option?)

hope it isn't faulty though, everything i seem to get is faulty :(

MAW

Banned
Depends how much. You can get a 3 phono to 15 pin d-sub to connect component video, anything will be a step up from what you have, Have a look at Richer's bargains, maybe Cambridge? Pioneer? They won't have the lead, you need to got to Lektropaks or TMF for a reasonable one or a good one, in that order.

Deron

Originally posted by MAW
Depends how much. You can get a 3 phono to 15 pin d-sub to connect component video, anything will be a step up from what you have, Have a look at Richer's bargains, maybe Cambridge? Pioneer? They won't have the lead, you need to got to Lektropaks or TMF for a reasonable one or a good one, in that order.

Isn't the 15 pin d-sub at the front on the pa-20?

Would straight component cables into the back be better?

I'm still awaiting delivery of mine, so I'm probably wrong.

Deron

Just out of interest Maw...

On a PA-20 would there be a lot of difference between connecting Sky+ through the RGB scart or going through a RGB to Component video converter and using the component input?

Is there any difference in quality?

Cheers D

MAW

Banned
I wouldn't expect to see any difference at all, could even be slightly worse, too many conversions, even if VIRTUALLY lossless.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett