1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-42-42PWD5 - connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by soa, May 7, 2003.

1. soa

soa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard some reasonable reports of this screen from colleagues, but I guess they know a fair bit less than assembled experts here.

I've seen this for about £3166 delivered (with another £150 for a wall mount). I think that is with a BNC board in it which I think is
    1 RGBHV/Component; 1 SVHS/CVBS; 1 composite inputs.

I currently have:
    Wharfedale DVD - Scarted into a Panasonic VCR - Scarted into a TiVo.

Grundig Sky Digibox Scarted into TiVo

TiVo Scarts into TV (actually through an AEI digisender so SWMBO can watch TiVo while me/kids play XBOX)

XBOX Scarts into TV on other input.

I'd guess that I could use the XBXOX as my DVD player? [All region 2 discs that I currently have]

I barely use the video - but I suppose the XBOX could straight pass through it any way.

How do I get the outputs from that lot to the plasma screen.
    I'd guess use an RGB to component frome here? from the TiVo to the screen (use Aux if watching TV live?)

Any ideas about using the XBOX though TiVo - and how could SWMBO watch TiVo if I'm Halo'ing...

Or, have I got completely the wrong idea/screen/input board...

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    A quick an easy way of doing it would be to use a scart switcher (Quintro+ or Keene Scart Commander) and run an RGBS lead (scart to 4 BNC plugs) up to the plasma.

All five sources go into the switcher with RGB ones set to RGB. The four dongles on the lead go onto the plasmas RGB and AV inputs so it can do composite video or RGB.

If you want to use a converter you can put it onto the Scart output of the switcher and additionally run a composite video lead alongside it for your non-RGB devices (VCR etc). This would be instead of the scart to 4 BNC lead but would offer the same functionality.

RGB-YUV converters are very handy, especially if you use an AV amp with component switching. But if you don't have that kind of amp, don't use one for the sake of it!

3. soa

soa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not only did I get a belting price on this [from the above retailer], this was the solution I went for in the end.

Absolutely belting on TiVo, XBox and DVD. Video really shows it is a lower grade signal, and I'd like to improve it. Fiddled with the sync and that went a bit better.

Really really rate the screen.
    Everyone loves it.