Panasonic TH-37PX60B & xbox 360

drjim

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just signed up after buying my new plasma and am after some advice.
I have connected my Xbox 360 via a VGA lead and am wondering what is the best resolution to set it to? any ideas? i am using this for DVD playback as well

1024x720 widescreen (1024x768 if that option isn't there)

Try 720p over component too, colours tend to look richer

Your plasma (1024x720) uses non square pixels so set the xbox360 to output 1280x720 went using a vga cable...Or 720p went using a component cable....

Use the same 1280x720 res for running movies from a PC as well..

Your plasma (1024x720) uses non square pixels so set the xbox360 to output 1280x720 went using a vga cable...Or 720p went using a component cable....

Use the same 1280x720 res for running movies from a PC as well..

thank for that
but when i play a DVD say pirates of the carrbeian through the Xbox i have black lines top and bottom of the screen is this correct?

i have just checked and the only options on the xbox360 are:
640 X 480
848 X480
1024 X 768
1280X 720
1280 X 768
1280 X 1024
1360 X 768
1920 X 1080 screen is black on this setting
so which one do i use for best picture for xbox games and DVD playback?

outputing 1280x720 from your xbox360 or PC will give you the closest to 1:1 with the right aspect ratio for running movies and games....

Next best res will be 1360x768....

thank for that
but when i play a DVD say pirates of the carrbeian through the Xbox i have black lines top and bottom of the screen is this correct?

So does everyone! Its a 2.33:1 aspect ratio film.

My Th37 arrives tomorrow and I have a day off for some serious tweaking. Will let you know what I settle on and trust me, I am picky about PQ!

So does everyone! Its a 2.33:1 aspect ratio film.

My Th37 arrives tomorrow and I have a day off for some serious tweaking. Will let you know what I settle on and trust me, I am picky about PQ!

I see i have a lot to learn.......thought with widescreen tv there should be no borders!! so what aspect will be "Full screen"?

will you also be setting up a 360 via VGA?

Look foward to your settings

so what aspect will be "Full screen"?
You most likely have to use the xbox360 HD component cable and then use the plasma own zoom mode setting for zooming to full screen..

outputing 1280x720 from your xbox360 or PC will give you the closest to 1:1 with the right aspect ratio for running movies and games....

Next best res will be 1360x768....

Ah but you can force it to output rectangular pixels with a 16:9 Aspect Ratio and a 1024x768 res. Works a treat on my plasma. I'd try both, could well be that 1280x720 looks better.

i have also read a thread on here that the xbox360 will upscale normal DVDs if using a VGA but not with comp whats this do? is it better to do this?

sorry for being so thick but this is really new to me

Ah but you can force it to output rectangular pixels with a 16:9 Aspect Ratio and a 1024x768 res. Works a treat on my plasma.
Sorry choddo2006...I didn't know that...

Guess i got some more to learn as well :oops:

I see i have a lot to learn.......thought with widescreen tv there should be no borders!! so what aspect will be "Full screen"?

Look foward to your settings

I have both leads and will settle on the one that looks best. I think component is likely to be the best match as the screens horizontal res is exactly 720 pixels. We shall see...:)

I like the HD component cable picture much better myself....(I think it gives much better colours)

i have also read a thread on here that the xbox360 will upscale normal DVDs if using a VGA but not with comp whats this do? is it better to do this?

sorry for being so thick but this is really new to me

Not sure of the exact reason as its dvd forum/licencing/legal issues rather than technical - I don't think anyone is allowed to upscale via component due to potential copyright issues. Don't quote me though...

By all accounts, the 360 is a lousy DVD upscaler anyway according to Homecinemachoices review of the HD-DVD drive. They loved the HD DVD just not the upscaled SD DVD.

okay guys thanks for the posts so if i got this right
1280 X 720 will give the closest 1:1 ratio for films & games
1024 X 768 may look good as well but is forced????
1360 X 768 is worth a try aswell

So n your opinion then is it all down to personal prefferance then there being an actual "Correct setting" ?

okay guys thanks for the posts so if i got this right
1280 X 720 will give the closest 1:1 ratio for films & games
1024 X 768 may look good as well but is forced????
1360 X 768 is worth a try aswell

So n your opinion then is it all down to personal prefferance then there being an actual "Correct setting" ?
I say....try them all out and see which one looks best to your eyes....

You most likely find that you can't see hardly any difference between them..

or shall i just get a component cable and select 720p........just want to get the best possible picture for games&dvd with the equipment i have got

I have both leads and will settle on the one that looks best. I think component is likely to be the best match as the screens horizontal res is exactly 720 pixels. We shall see...:)

Okay thanks look foward to hearing the your outcome before i buy another lead!

Can anyone explain to me what this upscaling is all about? do i get a better picture?

Upscaling is a fairly contensious issue (well it is on the DVD forum;) ). If you feed your screen with a SD source, the screen itself will upscale that to meet its native res which is 1024x720 in your case. By all accounts, Panny's upscaling tech is very very good and I can vouch for that by watching EastEnders this evening on Freeview.

So many argue whats the point of a upscaling DVD player if the panel can do it for you. Thats best left to the experts but the high end upscaling tech in the best Denon (and other high end brands) will do a brilliant job of turning a Sd source into pseudo HD - I believe that they use the same Fajuda technology that Sky use to upscale SD films for their Sky HD movies service(although a slightly cheaper version). But if that means that a £100 DVD player can do the job is another matter. Mostly you are benefiting from the HDMI Digital-Digital connection rather than the upscaling chip. The 360 has a lot of processing power but its not a DVD player by design and thats why HCC slagged it a little. In the end, its what works for you and your budget. As long as you like it thats all that counts:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom