Panasonic TH-37PE50B & Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by aulds, May 2, 2007.

1. aulds

aulds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

First post n all, but was looking for some advice from those in the know :lesson:

I have a Panasonic TH-37PE50B Plasma telly and a SA-XR55 amp connected together via component cable along with a Panasonic DVD Recorder.

From the manual it states that the telly can display up to 720p (50 & 60Hz) or 1080i (50 & 60Hz) via the component input, but the display is not classed as HD Ready & has no HDMI input.

I currently have sky+, but I think it is on it's last legs and was looking at the possibility of upgrading to Sky HD from either Midsat or e-bay & connecting it via component through the amp. Reason being that standard Sky picture quality can leave a lot to be desired at times.

Would I benefit from Sky HD on this setup using the HD box upscaling to improve the picture quality, or would there be no real benefit from it (as it is not officially an HD panel) and be as well replacing the Sky+ box (Amstrad :mad:) with a new unit (Old one well out of warranty:rolleyes:)

I know that most of the HD Ready panels do their own upscaling, but this one doesn't as it isn't HD Ready:suicide:, so I will be relying on the HD Box for upscaling the picture quality, as DVD playback is in a completely different league from the Sky picture.

Thanks in advance,

S :hiya:

2. kingo

kingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the larger 42 inch version of this TV, the Tv is HD compatible which means it will scale the picture to fit the TV and believe you me High def is excellent even though it is a SD panel but a quality one at that, you will not be dissapointed, if I watch a friends panny px60 high def I am hard pushed to see any real difference but everyones eyes will see other things.

I have no real plans to upgrade to 720p or 1080p panels at this time as the pe50 is an awsome plasma and performs very well with a High Def Pic.

Search the posts in the plasma section and you will see other happy users of this TV with High def :thumbsup:

3. aulds

aulds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Kingo,

Looks like I'm gonna have to get Sky HD then. :thumbsup:

S