Panasonic TH-37PE30

Juiceloose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anybody out there know when the above model will be available or if it's already out where I might be able to demo one.

I live in Leicestershire but don't mind travelling.

Do any of you experts have any views as to whether an integrated digital tuner is the way to go ?

I'm completely new to the world of plasma and all this talk of extra input boards etc. has me wondering if I'll be able to figure it all out, hence the choice of the above unit, which I think (hope) will do it all for me !!!

Many thanks.

Hi Juiceloose

Resellers will be starting to get stocks of the 37" screens on Tuesday of next week so I am sure they should be available for demo in your area. I am sure forum members will be able to recommend a good store in your county to save you travelling too far. It may be helpful to let members know where you live i.e nearest town.

Regards

Alastair

Alastair,

Thank you for your reply.

I live in Leicester, work in in Nottingham and visit Manchester regularly so am prepared to visit and of the above locations.

As stated in my oroginal post, I'm completely new to the world of plasma. With this in mind will I need to purchase specific connection leads etc. to get the best picture or will my trusty old scart leads do the trick.

I have an original OnDigital box, basic Toshiba DVD (SD220E) and Denon 3802 Receiver.

Thank you again for your help.

The panasonic centre in lincoln have the 37 and 42 inch models on display,came in this last week

steve

Steveho,

Thanks for the update.

Did you get a close look at the units or even better get to check out the picture quality ??

Juice.

The set is a lovely looking unit in the flesh particularly on the pedastal stand,the dealer had them running off the inbuilt freeview tuners via a common aerial feed so the picture wasn't to clever due to the poor signal.The guy said they had studied the picture against the out going model and their was small but noticeable improvement
This could be the set for me in a couple of months time when the price has settled down a bit,although the new hitachi 5200/5300 will push it close

steve

The only downside of this plasma is the depth. It has a kind of hernia on the back, as the speakers are so weedy they felt obliged to add a subwoofer, which forces the use of a special wall mount. It's designed to sit on it's own stand, therefore NOT freeing up space in your living room, and NOT sitting on the wall looking cool. Don't understand it myself, I thought the real USP of plasma was being flat and big. You could buy a rear projection set little bigget than this one these days.

Maw,

Given your comments about the new Panny plasma, are there any other models out there that you would recommend. Have to say I'm swayed towards the Panny because it's only 37inches which is about the largest I want to go to due to my fairly small lounge.

Not overly worried about tuner (integrated or otherwise) as I have an OnDigital box for the source.

Cheers.

How small is small? Interior designers usually specify sitting 2.5 x screen width from the display. A 42" is C.36" across, making you 7.5' away. Not very far. In a previous job, I worked in Hampstead, and we used to install some monster plasmas in very bijou studio flats. As far as I know, no customer ever went blind. There have been various threads on the subject of size, (fnar fnar) reaching no clear conclusions, but you'd be surprised how many bedrooms contain 50" plasmas, where you and I might consider a 14" portable adequate! I'd better get off that subject though, it leads to dangerous ground. Check the 'get yer plasmas out' thread, you won't see any mansions in there. I sit 11ft from a 7ft projected image, and I'm not alone. Price is not an issue, 42" is so popular it has economy of scale now, they're usually no more than 32". Have a think, put a piece of card on the wall to see how it seems.

Maw,

9.9 cm is the depth of the panasonic viera series plasmas ,this is a typical size of most plasmas on the market.I don't think any rear pro sets are remotely near this sort of thickness.

steve

Maw,

Thanks for the info.

Have just measured and I would be just eight feet away from the screen.

Assuming I do go for a 42 which one would you recommend. Have to say I like the look of the Panny's.

Given that I would be using my the kit detailed at start of this thread, what extras would I need to make it all connect up.

Forgive me if these questions seem a little basic but I wouldn't have a clue where to start when it comes to connecting one up. I'm familiar with phono and scart connections and that's about it.

Thanks.

Steveho says they said the picture was not too clever due to the aerial - classic TV shop excuse!

The thing about Freeview is it's all or nothing apart from blocking and breakup, a steady picture is the best it's going to be.

So it sounds like the piture is probably wonderful with DVDs but not brilliant with broadcast TV.

And why don't TV shops invest in a decent aerial system....

Originally posted by steveho
Maw,

9.9 cm is the depth of the panasonic viera series plasmas ,this is a typical size of most plasmas on the market.I don't think any rear pro sets are remotely near this sort of thickness.

steve

I think this is probably the depth at the middle of the screen.

Panasonic-42PE30-002.jpg

With the pe30 sub, I'm pretty sure that the depth is a shifted due to it's odd shape

Alastair Collie has provided an update as to how far a customised wall bracket will hang this plasma from the wall in another thread.

Thought it may be useful to repeat my post in the other thread regarding wall mounting.

"The manufacturers of the wall mounts have now been in to measure our demo screens in order to manufacture a tilting wall mount for them at a reasonable price. As far as I'm aware the only other alternative at the moment is supplied by Panasonic.

They have estimated that the minimum distance from wall to the rear of the plasma will be 60mm to allow for cables etc. I rather feel that this does takes them out of the 'slimline' category as these are normally between 18mmm and 20mm.

We will be testing the first production model early next week and hopefully the manufacturers will have stocks out very shortly after that.

Regards

Alastair

Hi All,
If you hurry JL have just put the model on their website, pity the price is a mistake at £19.95 .........No need for a price match now.

Regards
Joe.

Richer Sounds have the new 37" Panasonic for 2200 - coming into stock next week. Apparently there is a 37" version of the Hitachi PD5200 series and I'm a huge fan of the 32PD5200 so 37" version might just be tremendous aswell. 32" version is now under 1850 in Richer Sounds, and is the in built tuner version. Great price for a great screen me thinks

Correct prices from JL are

TH37PE30..... £2895
TH42PE30......£3695

Regards
Joe.

Guys i originally wanted a 36/37 inch but was so impressed by the 42PWD6 that it went to the top of the wish list. But just as i am about to order it i have been knocked out by this new 37 inch PE30!

What has this screen got that the PWD 6 hasn't? or is it essentially the same screen with integrated tuner and speakers?

has anyone heard if the vogels efw2001 flat mount is compatible with the pe30 screens?
Too late to phone vogels till Tuesday but need to know tommorow!!! Please if anyone knows?

I have my 37pe30 wall mounted and i use th vogel 2001 bracket i was not too impressed when i got it out of the box it has a full adapter plate for the back of the tv but only a small mounting plate on the wall itself but know i have got it up and it is on a breeze block wall it seems ok

oh i forgot there is a locking mechanism that locks the plasma to the wall plate it is crap with this in place once you have locked the screen on to the wall for good because of the subwoofer sticking out you cannot reach the realease button to get the TV off the wall so i bent the bar for the locking mechanism so it does not lock into place this was i can get it off withouth having to wrench it off the wall

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom