1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-37/42 PA50 Plasma Users Forum

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gnikolaidis, Jul 20, 2005.

1. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it seems the majority of you :cool: "av freaks" are mostly talking and endlessly debating about the most expensive and highest-tech gear, so when it comes to the :mad: average Joe who has invested in a less "high tech" piece of hardware its hard to come about with any meaningful content.

:clap: So I am starting a new thread strictly dedicated to the questions and needs of the owners of the new Panasonic TH-37PA50 and TH-42PA50 plasma TVs. You are all welcome to post your comments, experiences, questions, debates, problems e.t.c.

2. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panasonic TH-37PA50E arrived last week, and first impressions are excellent.

My previous TV was a 29'' 4:3 flat screen 100MHZ CRT from SONY, and admittedly (first impressions) the overall picture quality of the new Panasonic plasma is much better.

The overwhelming experience of watching regular aerial program and DVD in this new 8th generation plasma TV has ended once and for all my restrains about how much inferior a plasma TV picture would be, compared to a high-tech CRT model. Well it is not inferior at all, it is actually better. It is more fun and far more enjoyable to watch this new plasma TV than the previous CRT.

As a first test I played the "Finding Nero" DVD from my kids collection, being one of the most colorful and highest contrast material available with deeply saturated colors, and I was blown away! The picture was almost 3D like, and you where really immersed into the picture. The same movie played over my old CRT TV looked so plain and indifferent, nothing to write home about.

There are a few things that I found annoying, compared to my old habits, mainly the extra millisecond time that is required to switch between channels. In the old TV channel switching was instantaneous, in this new plasma you have to wait for a second or so before the picture of the next channel is displayed. So much for channel zapping! Except this minor shortcoming, which I believe it has to do with the immense processing time involved by the onboard electronics, I still have not found any other flaws (none of the problems mentioned in other postings like a loud buzz).

I am still trying to figure out what is the appropriate way to connect and setup my DVD player for this screen. I have setup my DVD player to progressive component output (the default being interlaced), and I have used a component cable to connect the output of the DVD player to the component input of the screen.

However, the picture image of the DVD is not portrayed in the usual manner, i.e. with the traditional black stripes at the top and bottom of the screen, but it covers the full screen. The setting of the picture format in the plasma screen is set to Panasonic Auto. You can get the traditional format if you select the 16:9 format, but I am not sure which of the two modes is better or appropriate for displaying DVD material.

Supposedly the TH-37PA50 has a built-in scaler in its composite input and so it converts all material to a perfect fit to its native resolution. So would it be that by selecting the 16:9 mode I am actually not taking advantage of the inherent electronics "goodies" of this new plasma? Any answer by a knowledgable techie would be much appreciated.

3. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    This seems a good idea. I have been interested in the 42PA50 for a while as I can get it for less than £1300 but all the info on here seems to regard the PE (digital Tuner) series rather than the PA series (European - analogue tuner) which is understandable.

As most of us have sky digital I dont see the need to pay extra for a built in digital tuner so think the PA series are good value. I wont go into the HD arguement as I can appreciate all opinions.

Obviously this panel is not HD ready but I wont be paying extra for a HD Sky box or any extra for any additional subscription when it is released so , personally the PA series seem a good bet.

Pay £1300 now, get a few years out of it and then replace, if needed, with a HD set which will hopefully have come down in price by then.

Am I right in saying that the 42PA50 is the same panel and technology as the 42PE50, ie Panasonic 8 series panel etc with only the lack of digital tuner the difference ?

If the 42PA50 is 8th Gen panel with the convenience of a TV set up (no seperate boards etc) then surely, for some (not all) this is a better option than a PW7 panel for the same price ???

All answers appreciated .

Oh - and some piccies of the PA series in action would be nice from DVD and Sky feeds.

Thanks

Andy

4. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes this is correct, it is the same panel and 8 series technology.

This panel is not "HD Ready" but it is "HD Compatible", which means that it has an builtin scaler in the composite input that can downscale any 1080p input to native panel resolution. So you do not have to throw it away in a few years, but rather choose to watch HD content in less than optimal resolution (it does not hurt me!). Also the builtin scaler means you do not have to buy any external and expensive scaler that would put you off in the range of the hundreds of pounds.

5. pjd@nl

pjd@nl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I took the plunge and picked up my 42PA50 last week ... local Dutch internet store for €1660. Managed to squeeze it (just!) into our Zafira, short trip down the motorway and 45 mins later it was up and running via analogue cable. Wow it's big! TV broadcasts were OK, but I was starting to wish I'd bought the 37" ... I could see every blemish the analogue signal has to offer. However, I then thrust the X-Men 2 DVD into the player's tray, speedily skipped through the menus and selected play .... I was blown away, what a fantastic picture, crystal clear and not an artefact in sight! :thumbsup:
    I had now seen what this TV was capable of, so next morning I went out and bought a digital cable decoder (TVHome) along with a top of the range coax and SCART cable. Quick browse of the manual, cable hook up, smart card insertion and channel installation ... what an improvement, the TV channels were now also superb. Digital TV is a must!

If you require a SD TV and are not too fussed about resolutions, HDMI/HDTV or computer inputs, I can highly recommend this TV ... it knocks the spots off my old Loewe 28" CRT (which went belly up!). However, you do need (IMHO):
    1. A digital source
    2. Very good cables
    3. A viewing distance of at least 3.5m (mine is just over 4m)
    4. To turn down brightness and contrast
    5. To avoid Dynamic Mode

Just buy and enjoy! :D