1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Tau 36"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pglayfield, Nov 17, 2001.

1. pglayfield

pglayfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does anyone if the Panasonic TX36PB50 and the TX36PG50 have all the same features except the way they deal with the centre and front speakers.

As far as I can see they are the same TV except for styling, but just trying to make sure.

Paul

2. marvin1

marvin1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pb can display in 16/9 and 14/9.
    the pg can only display 16/9
    I think thats about it.

3. pglayfield

pglayfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks marvin

Because I am new to all this, can you explain what uses programmes would require 14/9.
    I do not watch analogue TV at all.

4. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to correct Marvin1 as I have a 36PG50 and it does display 14x9 image.

When questioning the PG series bad reputation compared to the PB ranges glowing reviews and awards in various magazines a Panasonic engineer told he didn't understand why because ''they have the same chassis''.

It's only a cosmetic change apparently. But i'm sure there are those who will disagree!

5. marvin1

marvin1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying to decide which panasonic to buy myself. On visiting the panasonic shop last week, they gave me the new product specification form for 2001/2002.
    The only difference in the spec form was that the pg didn't do 14/9 and weighs 4.5 kg more.
    I'm not sure if this also applies to the 36inch, but, when I emailed panasonic about the differences between 32pb and 32pg they replied that the 32pg has 2 tuners and the the 32pb one.
    They did say the specs can change without notice so it might be worth you emailing panasonic.

6. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had both TVs and they both have two tuners and can both display 14:9 pictures.

The only difference I can see is that the back of the TV has 2 digital inputs, one for AV1 which can be either optical or coax and the other for the other inputs which is only optical.

7. marvin1

marvin1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    while i'm sure nicks tv displays 14/9 and rimmers has two tuners I would still advise you to email panasonic to find out the current specs before you buy. The information they gave me last week seems at odds with the two guys that actually have them.

8. pglayfield

pglayfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all

I am so pleased life is not complicated ;)

9. Yazoo

Yazoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difference between the PG and PB.

PB is panasonics flagship range and has a TAU screen whereas the PG does not. PB is better due to its superior screen.

It is not cosmetic as someone said. Check out pana's website.

10. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not so, I have the 36PG50 and it definately says in big letters right across the front of the instruction book 'TAU'. Also the panasonic TV brochure that was released with the TV prior to the PB range has many pages blowing the trumpet of the flagship PG50 set and its TAU tube.

Panasonic have told me themselves it is the same chassis, with possibly some minor changes.

All pretty irrelavent really as the PG series has been discontinued, for a while now I believe, and subsequently availability is not so good