Panasonic surround sound problem

steffp01

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic TV (tx-p50gt50b) and a Panasonic surround sound (sa-btt270) which both work, but I cannot convince the surround sound to play sound from the TV.

When I turn the surround sound on, it mutes the TV and I get silence. If I put a DVD in the Blu-ray player it plays fine.

I just bought a new optical cable (plugged into the TV and the Blu-ray) but it’s made no difference. If I plug the optical cable from the surround sound to the Freeview box (instead of TV) I can listen to TV, but can’t watch it!

What am I doing wrong?! Please help!

Can you select TV as an input on the surround sound as they normally default to DVD.

It sounds like HDMI CEC (viera link) is messing things up. Try disabling it. As above you need to manually select the external audio input via the remote.

HDMI Input 2 of the TV is ARC enabled – connect the HDMI Output of the Home Cinema System to HDMI 2 on the TV and the TV will pass its audio signal back to the System over the HDMI cable.

Any HDMI cable will do – no need for anything fancy.

You may need to enable ARC in the TV and System menu's.

Joe

PS ARC – Audio Return Channel (HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Audio Return Channel)

Thanks for your replies.

HDMI2 is indeed ARC. But makes no difference. I've now tried ARC, optical cable and phono jacks and they all do the same thing – mute the sound. But hey, at least it's consistent!

The only thing new here is my TV, the old one worked fine, you turned the Surround on and it played the sound from the TV. I was expecting the same thing to happen with the new TV.

I have been through the TV's settings and I cannot find anything to do with ARC. Under “Sound” I get “Headphone Volume”, “HDML1 Input” & “Voice Guidance Settings”. And that's it.

On the Blu-Ray player I can select between ARC, Optical & TV, but as soon as I change to watch the TV, it resets to TV. Which I'm guessing is an auto-detection thing going on.

I have turned the volume up, mute is off and I can't see what I'm missing. I'm sure I'm being dim, but I can't see what other buttons I can press. I even tried turning everything off and on again! (I work in I.T.).

Any ideas? It's probably something really obvious...

You are not alone in having problems with ARC – it would be worth ensuring you have the latest Firmware on the TV and BD System (assuming one or other or both can be updated).

Power both Off at the same time (not into Standby) then re-power!

It might be worth a trip to the Plasma TV Forum here on AVF and post a question re ARC for your TV model.

CEC (VieraLink) is going to be at play here – you may want to try the various Enable/Disable options on the TV and BD System!

Joe

Sorry to drag up an old thread but did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having the same issues with my new Panasonic TV. Exactly the same issue!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom