1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by superaffordable, Mar 26, 2003.

1. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I got the Panasonic sb-wa110-s see here

It sounds good to me but is the first time I have heard a sub in my life

Since I have not heard any other one I have no grounds to compare.

Does anybody here have or have listened to one of these?
    Is it any good?, average?, poor?

Would the overall performance improve substantially if I was going to get another one of the order of £200 more or less?

The above costed me £180 but this is because I bouth it in a Panasonic dealer in a high street shop but I think that it sells on the net for around £140

Thanks

2. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never heard it but in general these units made by the major Japanese electronics manufacturers are not very good (Yamaha excepted) as they are not really designed to reproduce sub bass.

In order to appeal to the type of person that puts looks ahead of importance there is now a huge market for speaker systems comprising five tiny satellites to reproduce the treble and a larger unit to reproduce the lower mid range and upper bass.

To call this larger unit (and other similar units) a sub woofer is a distortion of the word.

The improvement in sound quality from buying a decent subwoofer would be tremendous and your starting point should be the new small Velodyne subwoofer in the Power Buy section although I will admit that I have not heard that either and am relying on hearsay.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'm not familiar with that model,super',but have to agree with Marcus in saying that in general the Japanese subs aren't good at true deep bass,and to a large degree,you do get what you pay for.
    My first sub(before changing from a stereo system to anAV setup)was a Kef PSW1000,which in no way compared with either the stereo I had,or the REL Q201 I now have.
    You would definitely get better by paying a bit more,but be sure to try before you buy!

4. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys

Its not easy to try before I buy where I live where all you find is shops of the likes of Comet, Currys and similar

On top of that, I really feel bad going to a shop for a demo and then buying on the internet if you know what I mean but for sure I am not longer prepare to pay the many extra pounds that an offline retailer adds to any product

Thanks again

5. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to uncle eric in the Power Buy forum the first batch of Velodyne VX10 will be with customers early next week so why not wait and see what they have to say about them as I am sure that at least some will report back with their impressions.

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello i should be getting a vx10 soon, the only sub i can compare it to is my brothers sony sub which is crap to say the least. My setup at the moment is far better and thats without any sub.I will pop on with what i think of the vx10. Its my first sub so with no real sub to compare with its going to be good to me.Try looking here

7. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If you're still there and interested, the Panasonic SBWA-110 is the sub I have which I bought in or around the same time as you for a quite expensive price, like you.

Now, I've always been happy with it. When I compare it to others I've heard in people's set up it does hold its own and is quite powerful.

It does sit at the same settings giving adequate output. However when I put on the 'Star Wars Trilogy' DVDs I've to turn it down as it goes really mad.

I believe though that any one would have this situation with Star Wars as the bass work really kicks ass and needs little prompting on the sub end.

The unit itself is quite beefy, attractive and manufactured in Spain.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Glenzo do you realize this thread is from two and a half years ago,most of us will have moved on a bit from then, or should hope so.

9. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    :lesson: That doesn't make anything I've said obsolete, nor to say that anyone else won't find the reply of interest.