1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic stock with whiskers?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Faust, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Where are on earth are the Dixons Group getting all this old Panasonic Plasma stock from? I refer to products such as the Panasonic TH37PE40B which they are plugging at every opportunity, offering it as part of so called attractive packages "Hurrrry Hurrrry whilst stocks last" etc. Plugging the non HD Ready PE50 series is bad enough but this latest offering....? I have also noticed other retailers plugging the PE50 series quite heavily, which makes me wonder if Panasonic are about to do the same for the Plasma 50 series range as they have just done for the LCD 50 series range i.e. add an HDMI socket to make it HD Ready then renaming it the 52 series.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You guessed it. They will run a range of 'HD compatible' plasmas, which will no doubt be confusingly miss-sold. I'm sure that's not Panasonic's intention, they simply want to have a lower priced product to compete with LG and Samsung on the High St. But you know what I mean, 'compatible' and 'ready', what's the difference?

3. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The PE40 is not old stock - it simply is a version of the PE50 made exclusively for Dixons and it's even more hideous looking than the PE50 if that's possible!

The PE55 range has already been introduced in Europe = PE50 + HDMI.

See ...

http://www.produkte.panasonic.de/product/product.asp?sStr=5@-@1@13@40@41@@@@@TH-42PE55E@Viera|Plasma-Bildschirme@&altMod=N&upper=&prop=

Gussie :)

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Surely, even if Panasonic install the circuitry for HDMI and HDCP on the PE50 then call it the PE55, with its (852 x 480) pixels it will still not meet the criteria to be signed off as a HD Ready Panel, or am I missing something?

Further point, Gussie says that the 40 series being sold by Dixons Group is not old Panasonic models, but something being run special for Dixon Group - is this true? I thought the 40 series preceded the present 50 series? perhaps I am wrong. Someone else has said that the difference for the model number change and colour scheme change is that other High St retailers are complaining they cannot compete with the likes of Currys and Comet on price, so can tell the consumer that the lower price of the 40 series is because it is a different model to what they are stocking - anyone know the truth.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's my whole point Faust!!!! Course it's not HD ready, but it will still work. Hence 'HD compatible' I assume you have a brain, and you are confused, imagine how it will be in Dixons.
    Gussie is right, the 40 is a DSG special, it is slightly different, I don't know exactly. Don't know why folks have trouble competing with the price, they are not that cheap.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for that MAW, I thought it was just me losing my marbles. Mind you having seen your involvement with the thread about whether HD is worth it, we could start that discussion all over again. Speaking for myself who has yet to jump into either the Plasma or LCD camp, the more I see the less I feel able to make any decision at all - total paralyses reigns in our house at present. I have seen some pretty passable performances at friends houses of both Plasma and LCD with SD broadcasts, albeit exclusively via Sky, that certainly in the short term I would not consider shelling out more pounds per month for Hi Def. Would that I could get that far - one week I see a cracking Plasma performance and I think I will get the Panny Plasma, then next time I see a cracking LCD performance so think that is the one for me. Next off I see poor performances from both technologies and so feel I may as well stay with trusty CRT. I think I should be in a home for the bewildered.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LCD versus plasma is still just a size thing really. Plasma for big, 37" and over. I'm happy to say all of my plasma installs are more than 'pretty passable' with SD video signals, but that does not mean HD will not make them better, you'd be blind not to see the difference. If your PC is up to it, have you seen http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/ You'll need quick time 7 too. Showing that from my laptop on a 1280/720 VGA connection to a plasma convinces everyone so far that HD is a must have. Even SD plasmas look sexier with it, and from more distnce than quoted in the other thread.