1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic stereo problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by barnabybear, Mar 7, 2003.

1. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Bit tricky to explain this but -

I have a Panasonic SC-PM11 CD stereo system. This is one of those cheapie micro-systems that plays CD's. It's a bit of a stop-gap really, I'm saving up for something a sight better, but in the meantime it will have to do - you know how it is!

Anyway, it's about a year and a half old, and there's always been something I just couldn't put my finger on that was not quite right about it. The other day, I connected my DVD player to it as well as the TV - and this showed what it was - the higher sound information wasn't coming through. It is as if it's "muffled", as if the treble is turned right down. I could mute the stereo and turn up the TV speakers - and the missing info (Such as say a triangle or bells being rang inamongst other music) would then be heard.
    Well - it's a poor do when the TV speakers are better than a stereo (Even a cheap one).

There is no way of turning up the treble on this unit - it's one of those ones where the only options are "Disco", "Flat", "Clear", "Hall" etc.
    It wasn't that cheap really - cheap compared to a brilliant system - but it was still £180 ish which is pricey enough for something that isn't working properly. It's over a year so I doubt I would get very far with the shop - I've only just realised what the matter is. Now I know I can hear it muffled every time I use it. I went for this one because it got a good write up on loads of sites - hmmm.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any way I could alter this to increase the clarity/treble? Any hidden methods maybe? I'm thinking of writing to Panasonic but thought I'd get some opinions first.

If the answer is that it is to be expected from these units and you get what you pay for - well I can live with that. As I said - it's just a stop-gap while I save up.

Thanks in advance

2. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be a stupid question.....

....have you checked and double checked again that the speakers are not wired out of phase?

Its usually the simple things which catch people out.

Disco or Clear might increase the treble.

Chino

3. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion - the speakers are connected correctly though. I guess it's just one of those things.

4. johnr2000

johnr2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Barnabybear,

What a strange problem!
    I never expect anything great from cheap 'all in one' systems but your's almost seems faulty. I don't know if it has a headphone output. If it does, have you tried that just to eliminate the speakers from faulty manufacture. Alternatively can you try another speaker on one of the outputs? The preset tone settings are a waste of money on those units (simple tone controls make more sense) but it's rare for any of the settings to rid you of most of the treble. I can't see it would be a specific amplifier fault as the fault would be much more likely to be on one channel only if that was the cause.

I hope you manage to solve it and that you manage to get a 'proper' system soon that you like.

JohnR