Panasonic ST50 (TX-P65ST50B) 65 Inch 3D Plasma TV Review

Hi, I've noticed that the input lag is a lot higher on the 65 than on the 50" version of the ST50. Did you use the same method (ie your newer one) to test the 50" version?

If not, would it be possible to test it again? The 50 came in at around 17ms and the 65 at over 40ms! Its a massive difference so am thinking its more down to the different testing method rather than the TVs?

Hey Mark,
did you hear any buzzing from the TV?

:confused:

Sorry I wasn't ignoring you, I just missed this.

Yes, there was some and it was a bit more audible than the 42 and 50inch 2012 Panasonic's I've had here. In my environment and with my ears, I hardly ever noticed it but everyone's room and hearing abilities vary, plus I think there will be variance in buzzing unit to unit.

Hi, I've noticed that the input lag is a lot higher on the 65 than on the 50" version of the ST50. Did you use the same method (ie your newer one) to test the 50" version?

If not, would it be possible to test it again? The 50 came in at around 17ms and the 65 at over 40ms! Its a massive difference so am thinking its more down to the different testing method rather than the TVs?

No, the 50ST50 was done by camera.

I guess it's possible but I think it unlikely that they would differ significantly between the sizes. If I get chance to measure the 50ST, I will, but it was Steve that conducted that review and he didn't have access to the new device at the time.

Thanks for the quick reply - I'm inclined to think that its the testing method thats caused the different results as they are much higher than previously!

Will be interesting to see how high the lag is on the new LCDs you get in for testing :smashin:

Thanks for the quick reply - I'm inclined to think that its the testing method thats caused the different results as they are much higher than previously!

Will be interesting to see how high the lag is on the new LCDs you get in for testing :smashin:

See the 50ST50 Review feedback thread for a comparison to previous Panasonic plasmas with the new device:)

Every LED/LCD since the Panasonic WT50 has been measured using it except the LG LM960V...

I'm still not sure why this TV has been marked down just because you've yet to review (or even see in person) a TV from Samsung sometime in the future.

Is this because you have the Samsung in the labs already and know it's much better than this TV ?

I'm still not sure why this TV has been marked down just because you've yet to review (or even see in person) a TV from Samsung sometime in the future.

Is this because you have the Samsung in the labs already and know it's much better than this TV ?

It's not really marked down. Highly Rec and Best Buy are both fairly rare awards but with there really only being 3 contenders in the big boy plasma market, I thought it was perhaps prudent to go with highly recommended having not yet seen the E8000.

It's not really marked down. Highly Rec and Best Buy are both fairly rare awards but with there really only being 3 contenders in the big boy plasma market, I thought it was perhaps prudent to go with highly recommended having not yet seen the E8000.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I'm (must be nuts) considering this and seriously measuring up my room to see if it will fit :D £2.5k is I think at the top end of what I wish to spend and 65" may just be that 5" too big.

Right now I have a Panasonic 50PZ70B panel and I know I can go to 60", but this size seems to have now been dropped and moved to 65. It will go in the corner of the room, which makes positioning / a stand that much trickier unfortunately.

I also have to be VERY careful with the buzzing noise. I had a 42G20 for a few months and the high pitched sound it made drove me nuts, eventually leading to me selling it after Panasonic ruled it "ok". I can't afford to pay £2.5k for this and discover I can hear a high pitched whine from 10ft away. Any thoughts ?

Finally. The TV would be positioned slightly above eye level (2ft above at 11ft away), would this effect the 3D ? I know that LCD 3D does suffer from viewing angle issues, not sure about plasma though.

Interestingly. According to the Panasonic manuals.

• My 50" 50PZ70B draws 569w under "average use"
  • The 65" ST50 draws 255w.

My 50" is significantly heavier too.

Huge difference, especially considering the size. Is this just 4 years of improved technology ? Or is my TV likely to be much brighter due to less EU laws at the time ?

Last edited:
Ive decided this will be the tv for me :)

Insanity202 said:
Ive decided this will be the tv for me :)

I'll hang fire getting mine now until it's had the official AVF seal of approval :)

Mark Hodgkinson said:
Changed your mind yet?:devil:

Excellent choice John, total value for money!

Looking forward to getting it. Just got to buy it now....when i get time.off work lol

I wouldn't touch the 65VT50 with a barge pole. I'd buy a 65ST50, and put the £1200 difference into a Lumagen Radiance Mini. The result would totally crush the 65VT50.

Hi Mark,

do you guys have contact with any insiders at Panasonic?
I really really really would like Panasonic to fix the firmware of my 50ST50 (and probably all other panas) so that i can set the overscan per hdmi input. Currently it is pretty useless.

I really need to enable overscan on hdmi1, where my Humax 5050 HD cable-pvr is connected because the broadcasters still don't know how to transmit properly.

But i also need to disable overscan on hdmi2, where my PS3 and ATV2 are connected.

Currently the pana uses one global setting for overscan, which in my opinion is just weird. Or am i doing something wrong here?

If you have contacts @panasonic could you ask them about this? Actually i don't really think they will fix it, but it's worth a try.

Thanks!

Similar to my above post really.

£1,100 is quite a lot of money, for which you get a better filter which will give a sense of more impressive contrast, the touch pad controller, dual core processing, 2 pairs of 3D glasses and more flexible picture options.

The VT50 (and GT50) series also have Freesat HD, which the ST50 series lacks.

That said, when money permits I will almost certainly get the 65ST50, rather than the 65VT50. In fact, even if I won the lottery. The reviewer John Archer thinks that the ST50 is similar to last year's VT30, which everyone then said was wonderful, and would be, for me, good enough. I have a Humax Freesat HD box so I don't need Freesat to be duplicated in a new television.

Mark I currently have a pioneer lx5080 and was thinking about up grading to either the st50 or vt50 65inch. Will the st50 give about or better quality picture and online gaming or will the vt50 be my only option. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to purchase one by the end of the month

Mark I currently have a pioneer lx5080 and was thinking about up grading to either the st50 or vt50 65inch. Will the st50 give about or better quality picture and online gaming
Do you mean about (the same?) or better than your Pioneer LX508 or better than the 65VT50?

about the same or better than my Pioneer LX508
The lx5080 the picture is brilliant. I'm only thinking about upgrading as I know I can get a could price for one of my pioneers. Even the picture on the 507xd pioneer is very good. Ive tried to gauge the quality of the Panasonic vt 50 and st 50 but none of the store in my area have them on display although I think John Lewis may have them in by now

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom