Panasonic ST50 (TX-P65ST50B) 65 Inch 3D Plasma TV Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 18th May 2012. The Panasonic TX-P65ST50B is a tremendous amount of screen real estate for the asking price but, not only that, it delivers big in all the areas in which Panasonic’s typically excel – deep black levels, excellent contrast and accurate colours.
Read the full review...

Last edited by a moderator:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
regular forums stalker here! im in work at the mo so cant read in depth until later. thanks something to look forward to for the weekend!

Last edited:

enfant_teribl

Novice Member
You mention that it can't earn BB status. Is that pending the review of the Samsung, or do you mean that the Samsung is better value?

sirlukas

Novice Member
Nice review, thanks Mark!
Is it only me or is ST a better looker than GT series?

I know wit is very subjective, but I would expect better looks from better range naturally.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
mark,

am i right in assuming that the 50 htz bug is caused by how the screen processes movement and how the screen uses the framerate and the fact that it doesnt allign quick enough when processing that movement?

so two questions

1. can it be solved by firmware upgrade

2. what would need to happen (without using the ifc function) min/mid/max for panasonic to eradicate the bug forever. would it need a complete screen rebuild and a better way of processing movement?

vism

The problems is, nobody outside Panasonic really knows what the cause is.

Personally, I think it's because the TV is designed for 60Hz and then botched as cheaply as possible for Europe.

They can fix it though, the VX300 doesn't suffer it so you wonder if it's software or a more powerful processor that's required.

hodg100

Ex Reviewer & News Writer
The problems is, nobody outside Panasonic really knows what the cause is.

Personally, I think it's because the TV is designed for 60Hz and then botched as cheaply as possible for Europe.
This really.

The 600Hz subfield drive would logically work most optimally for 60Hz. They also seem to have done an excellent job with [email protected] 50hz definitely suffers the most but is showing improvements with FFD. I don't want to blow it out of proportion, though, the fact is most won't notice, even when pointed to it.

It will take a change to the deep lying drive software to make improvements, not a simple software update.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
What Samsung might that be? It's not listed in the coming soon section of the review page.
its mentioned in the review the samsung E8000 series, the natural rival to the ST/GT/VT range ...

Doctor Smith

How does a tv this size compare to a projector?
What are the pros and cons?

Chauvinnais

Novice Member
First of all Mark, thanks for reviewing this television for us all out here. Please would you help me with one question that is nagging away though? In the penultimate paragraph of the section: Styling, Connections and Menus, the recommendation is to set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and the question is why not dot to dot or equivalent?

Once again thanks for your Sterling service.

hodg100

First of all Mark, thanks for reviewing this television for us all out here. Please would you help me with one question that is nagging away though? In the penultimate paragraph of the section: Styling, Connections and Menus, the recommendation is to set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and the question is why not dot to dot or equivalent?

Once again thanks for your Sterling service.
Quite simply, there is no dot to dot mode. Somewhere in the review I will have mentioned to switch of 16:9 overscan (in the advanced picture menu) for quality HD sources though, which enables pixel mapping:)

Hades

Distinguished Member
So if you had the choice of buying the 65ST50 or the 55VT50 which would you buy?

Would I really notice that much difference in PQ by getting the VT over the ST?

Nearly all my viewing is late evening.

hodg100

So if you had the choice of buying the 65ST50 or the 55VT50 which would you buy?

Would I really notice that much difference in PQ by getting the VT over the ST?

Nearly all my viewing is late evening.
Me?

Hmm, tough call. I would probably get the 55VT and pull the chair closer when all the family are in bed, which is when I do my 'critical viewing' but you might not want to do that...

There's no big gulf at all, in fact it's very small, and if you can accommodate a 65inch (you don't really appreciate how big they are until you get one in the living room) you'll be getting that bit more immersion. If you don't need more than one accurate picture mode, which it sounds like you don't really, then a 65ST will serve you very well:)

Hades

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply Mark.

It's a tough one is this I must admit. Although all Pannys get glowing reviews, it would appear each model is getting problems reported. But this is normally the case no matter what the TV these days.

Going to pay my local Panasonic store a visit next month to see them in the flesh 1st. Sick to death of packing TV's up now. Just want a TV that works well enough and be able to finally through the packaging away.

BerettaSO4

Standard Member
Thanks Mark, very interesting review.

For someone who only wants to watch Sky hd/3d with a great picture, are there any real benefits with the 65vt50 over the 65st50?

hodg100

Similar to my above post really.

£1,100 is quite a lot of money, for which you get a better filter which will give a sense of more impressive contrast, the touch pad controller, dual core processing, 2 pairs of 3D glasses and more flexible picture options.

I could certainly live with out the touch pad and dual core processing and of course you can pick up two pairs of glasses for considerably less than £1,100. Which leaves, for me, the filter and better picture options costing about £1,000...

Of course there may be retailer specific benefits in getting the VT50, free glasses, 3D Blu-ray player thrown in etc so that could change the numbers somewhat.

We'll never tell you what to buy but hopefully you have enough info on which to base your decision.

alef1971

Standard Member
Hi Mark, could you post your calibrated settings for the 65ST50 for us to play around with and test on our own sets?

It would be a great starting point for further adjustments.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
alef1971 said:
Hi Mark, could you post your calibrated settings for the 65ST50 for us to play around with and test on our own sets?

It would be a great starting point for further adjustments.
You'll probably have better luck starting from the out of box settings. Calibrated settings relate to that specific panel and room conditions and could actually be a worse initial start point for your panel and room then the out of box settings.

hodg100

You'll probably have better luck starting from the out of box settings. Calibrated settings relate to that specific panel and room conditions and could actually be a worse initial start point for your panel and room then the out of box settings.
...plus I haven't got them any more, sorry.

mifn21

Standard Member
Hi, I've noticed that the input lag is a lot higher on the 65 than on the 50" version of the ST50. Did you use the same method (ie your newer one) to test the 50" version?

If not, would it be possible to test it again? The 50 came in at around 17ms and the 65 at over 40ms! Its a massive difference so am thinking its more down to the different testing method rather than the TVs?

hodg100

Hey Mark,
did you hear any buzzing from the TV?

:confused:
Sorry I wasn't ignoring you, I just missed this.

Yes, there was some and it was a bit more audible than the 42 and 50inch 2012 Panasonic's I've had here. In my environment and with my ears, I hardly ever noticed it but everyone's room and hearing abilities vary, plus I think there will be variance in buzzing unit to unit.

hodg100

Hi, I've noticed that the input lag is a lot higher on the 65 than on the 50" version of the ST50. Did you use the same method (ie your newer one) to test the 50" version?

If not, would it be possible to test it again? The 50 came in at around 17ms and the 65 at over 40ms! Its a massive difference so am thinking its more down to the different testing method rather than the TVs?
No, the 50ST50 was done by camera.

I guess it's possible but I think it unlikely that they would differ significantly between the sizes. If I get chance to measure the 50ST, I will, but it was Steve that conducted that review and he didn't have access to the new device at the time.

mifn21

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply - I'm inclined to think that its the testing method thats caused the different results as they are much higher than previously!

Will be interesting to see how high the lag is on the new LCDs you get in for testing :smashin: